Utah's DC Morgan Scalley suspended

Scorcho

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

Apparently the other coach was Shah.  Make what you will of that.  Given the context, it looks like Utah did the right thing, with the suspension, the 50% cut in pay, and the removal of the "head coach in waiting" label.  That's a big hit on Scalley's career, and sends a clear message.  One thing that shouldn't happen is the idea that "It’s time to move on."  It is not.  It's time to keep what happened in the forefront of thoughts and actions, and to embrace a new paradigm of racial respect.  We need to do that not just with coaching staffs, but as a nation, all the way from the top down to the family dinner table.

Nowhere did I say let’s just forget about this issue. I’ve been very clear that I like the the punishment several times in this thread. Moving on means, next step.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, utenation said:

Nowhere did I say let’s just forget about this issue. I’ve been very clear that I like the the punishment several times in this thread. Moving on means, next step.

The next step is to embrace what happened, and to keep it in the forefront of words and actions.

2 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

It means a lot.  Another coach knew of his behavior and either didn’t report it or reported it and nothing was done for years.

The only solution for you is to fire him.. Anything else said to you goes in one ear and out the other. I get it..

3 hours ago, Scorcho said:

that text with the "N" word never made it to the coach(es), so how exactly were they aware of it?

I think the text was intended for Shaw alone, and was instead sent to Shaw and a recruit. 

It would not shock me if Shaw uses the term ( I do not know if he does or not ). However, Shaw is black, so would not be the same.

19 hours ago, utenation said:

What exactly does “tone def” mean? Oh, the irony...of you using the word moron with confidence. Lol

I’ve heard the admission standards at BSU basically require a valid checking account and a pulse but damn.

Well, in this case tone def means you believe a coach fired for using the N Word would have a choice of jobs lined up.  That is tone def, you have clearly not been paying attention to anything that is happening.  

9 hours ago, Mano said:

That sort of thing is what the investigation was supposed to look into, and apparently they did not find this type of behavior occurring, at least from my reading of it. 

I do not condone the use of that word, and if there are any racists on the staff, I want them out. On the other hand, if this was an isolated incident by a young coach thinking he was being funny, the rest of his life should not be defined by it. His reputation has been greatly diminished and will take years ( if ever ) to restore. It is up to Scalley as to what kind of person he is, and what he does to try and redeem himself now that he has been given a second chance. 

According to a player it was not isolated, though.  He used the word in the exchange mentioned, then used it again towards a player.  Two confirmed times is not isolated.  If he used it twice, once when he thought it was cool or funny as you call it, I would bet it is part of his vernacular when he thinks he is in "safe" company to use it.

9 hours ago, utenation said:

I get the outside fury. People hear racism and automatically assume and want the worst without looking at all the facts. Morgan is a good kid. I've followed him since high school.. He's from a good family, He'll be better because of this.. If he fails this test, so be it. Utah made the wrong decision.

Good "kids" can say and do really, really stupid things.  Happens all the time.  However he is not a kid, was not a kid and held a position of power.  Yeah, he should have been canned.  As talented a coach as he is I am sure a G5 would have picked him up as a position coach for 100-200k a year.  Not a bad reset.

I wonder how many people here who insist on Scalley's firing and burning at the stake will also help Trump out this fall by not voting for Biden?

It just seems we're more accepting of racism from the U.S. president than we are a defensive coordinator at the 35th best football program in the country.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Biden is a racist.  Trump is a racist.  Guess which one did more damage to Black Americans.  Kamala knew.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Stop weighing in on the N-word.  You're not qualified.  You're a fucking hypocrite and frankly a disgusting human being.

3 hours ago, Orange said:

I wonder how many people here who insist on Scalley's firing and burning at the stake will also help Trump out this fall by not voting for Biden?

It just seems we're more accepting of racism from the U.S. president than we are a defensive coordinator at the 35th best football program in the country.

I certainly will not vote for Trump.  Also, I do not live in a swing state, so voting for Biden would not harm Trump.  

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I certainly will not vote for Trump.  Also, I do not live in a swing state, so voting for Biden would not harm Trump.  

Dude, don't be an asshole.  Democracy is at stake here.  Jo-Jo Rabbit Libertarian Douchebeard won't win, so don't waste your vote.  Jesus Christ.

5 hours ago, Orange said:

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Stop weighing in on the N-word.  You're not qualified.  You're a fucking hypocrite and frankly a disgusting human being.

And yet I didn’t oppose school desegregation, busing, Favor the death penalty Or support increased sentencing.

13 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

And yet I didn’t oppose school desegregation, busing, Favor the death penalty Or support increased sentencing.

Neither does he.  Unlike Drumpf -- YOUR guy -- he's able to recognize where he erred.

Archived