2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

Bug might be the only one who cares about this but here it goes. 

The #1 ranked team in the nation, Sierra Canyon, was oh so close to losing it's 1st round CIF Southern Section game to Heritage Christian.   Heritage Christian is no slouch and features Cal commit Juwan Harris-Dyson, who scored 27 points and defended Marvin Bagley Jr very well.  Heritage had a 91-90 lead with 1:35 remaining but Sierra Canyon got to the line and didn't miss a 4th quarter free throw.  The coach said if they shot free throws like this against Nathan Hale, they would be undefeated.  This game is just more evidance that we are watching what could be the most competitive regional playoff field in high school basketball history.   Bug, you have to get down there and watch some of these games.  

Mater Dei 80, Crossroads 44.  Man, what a statement.  Crossroads, featuring Shaq's kid, who is a top 20 player got destroyed by Mater Dei, who is firing on all cylinders after getting Bol Bol eligible midseason.  It's crazy that you can have two teams like Chino Hills and Sierra Canyon and yet Mater Dei might be playing better basketball then either of them.  

Roosevelt 81 Redondo Union 70.  It's not often Redondo goes down in the 1st round of a tournament but such is life in this years CIF Southern section.  Roosevelt is not a traditional power like Redondo but does feature Cal basketball commit Jemarl Baker (top 40 recruit now) and their PF is heading to Fullerton.  They play Mater Dei tonight.  Should be a great game.

Chino Hills destroyed what was probably the worst team in the tournament, JSerra Catholic, scoring over 100 points.  It's probably high time that opposing student sections stop chanting, "overrated" when their team gets a 4 point 1st quarter lead on Chino Hills.  It rarely works out well.  They are definitely the most exciting team in this tournament with apologies to Sierra Canyon. If they can win this tournament, they should go down as one of the greatest high school teams of all time.  

Long Beach Poly 66 Alemany 48 - Alemany had put up a 22-3 record playing weaker teams and it showed.  They couldn't score against what might be the best defensive team in this tournament.  Long Beach Poly is yet another extremely dangerous team that might be the most under the radar team of the tournament.  They play Chino Hills tonight and look for this one to be very close.  Poly lost by only 3 points to Chino Hills earlier in the season and has improved tremendously over the course of the year.  With the way they play defense, they could very well shock Chino Hills. 

Santa Margarita beat Anaheim's finest in Esperanza, who had only lost 1 game all season until this one.  Santa Margarita plays the extremely talented Bishop Montgomery team who easily dispatched Oak Park.  

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out my observation about mater dei playing better basketball than chino Hills and sierra canyon turned out to be the case. Now watch Bishop Montgomery win tomorrow. Speaking of them, San Diego state appears to have gotten quite the player in Jordan Schakell. Forced Bagley into a bad shooting night and nailed 3 3's in a row to ice the game.

BM barely edged Santa Margarita, who is clearly capable of beating anyone.

The best part is that these same teams will be battling out again in the coming weeks for the state open tournament. Chino Hills and Sierra Canyon have another chance.

so unlike california and their all-star regional and state tournaments, oregon's state playoffs are rather meek and unexciting.

really, the only intrigue is if #2 west linn can win their 5th straight title. standing in their way is #1 jefferson, who have the only two intriguing prospects in the entire tournament: junior 6'9 forward kamaka hepa, a shot blocker who can stretch the defense out by hitting 3's. he's got an impressive offer sheet (arizona, oregon, oklahoma, miami, texas, washington) but i hear oregon is the favorite to keep him in-state, which is A-OK by me. jefferson also has sophomore 6'5 guard marcus tsohonis, who holds a usc offer but i believe that's it at this time. he's taken several unofficials and performed really well at the nike elite 100 and will probably start blowing up soon.

And easily at that. Ethan Thompson is going to be a really really good player for Oregon State.

osu is going to get a lot better really quick. having ethan thompson and tres tinkle in the line-up next year is going to be an instant boost, and drew eubanks really blew up the latter half of conference play. 

osu is going to get a lot better really quick. having ethan thompson and tres tinkle in the line-up next year is going to be an instant boost, and drew eubanks really blew up the latter half of conference play. 

Yeah, both Thompson brothers are going to be dynamic.  Stephen Thompson should be really good as a sophomore and he started playing very well in the 2nd half for Oregon State.  Scoring 17 ppg as a freshman is no joke.  His brother Ethan is an even better player, particularly his all-around game.   I was very surprised they were able to land Jack Wilson -- a 2018 center from Nor Cal (Serra High, Tom Brady's school.)  He's already a 4-star center who is 6'11 and will probably be 7-feet by the time he's at OSU.   They had an awful, awful year but the future looks bright for them.  They are getting better talent than WSU, Utah, Colorado, ASU, Stanford and probably comparable talent to Cal/USC.  

Tinkle was a great hire. I thought WSU should've hired him and I don't know if we could have. I do know that there was lots of opposition to his hiring because we didn't want to go down the road of another big sky coach after the bone adventure.

Tinkle was a great hire. I thought WSU should've hired him and I don't know if we could have. I do know that there was lots of opposition to his hiring because we didn't want to go down the road of another big sky coach after the bone adventure.

that seems fair.  I think for most teams in this conference, hiring an up-and-coming coach is the only way to become a great team.  Once in a blue moon, an opportunity like Bennett will present itself and you run with it for as long as you can but for most teams in the Pac 12, that isn't a consistent option.  Therefore, your best bet is to gamble on unproven coaches and hope that they can succeed at the next level.  Or, you can hire retreads and see if they can duplicate their previous mediocre success but with less resources/advantages.  Usually that doesn't work out.  

On 3/9/2017 at 11:18 AM, All Hail said:

Arizona gets 2018 5-star Forward Emmanuel Akot.  Huge pickup for a team full of huge pickups.  That 2017/2018 back-to-back class is is going to be downright filthy for Arizona.  No excuses for Sean Miller now. 

Another really, really painful near miss for Utah Basketball ...  2nd year in a row Miller has quickly and efficiently taken a recruit the Utah staff has traced and recruited for a couple of years and "poached" him...  

More Craziness in the southern section of the CA High school Open division tournament.  

Sierra Canyon -- who I thought might have been the most talented team in California High School basketball history -- found a way to lose to St Augstine from San Diego.  Taeshon Cherry is a real nice player for Augstine but he is a junior going up against a team whose starting 5 all has division 1 offers and whose best player is the #1 player in the loaded 2018 class.  Their 2nd best player is a 5-star PF going to UCLA.  Their coach must be terrible, I just don't know how you lose with that much talent. 

Chino Hills -- They also found a way to lose albeit to a red-hot Bishop Montgomery team who is beating everyone recently.  This means that neither of the top two teams in America will be playing in the southern reigion of the California open championship.

Mater Dei - Defeated St Augstine fairly easily.  They are probably the most talented team on paper left in the tournament but they will be facing a team who just beat them by 15 points in the last tournament.

Bishop Montgomery - You know this is an unprecedented time in Southern California HS hoops when a team featuring 5 players with division 1 offers is an afterthought when it comes to the most talented teams in the region.  Bishop Montgomery's players are "only" going to places like San Diego State, Oregon State (although Thompson had scholarships to almost everywhere) and the like.  Still, this team is firing on all cylinders and can play some serious defense.  At this point, they have to be the favorite to win it all.

Woodcreek - Easily the most talented team in the north but the talent disparity is massive between Northern and Southern schools as this team features only 2 division 1 players.  One of them is Jordan Brown, the #2 overall recruit in the 2018 class.  I've seen this kid play and he is a better version of Ivan Rabb.  Not as good of a rebounder but has an outside shot, can drive very well, is extremely athletic for a 6'11 guy, and is a tremendous shot blocker.  If anybody is capable of changing a game and springing an upset on a far more talented opponent it is Jordan Brown. 

Sheldon - This is a fascinating team.  They are led by 2-star recruit, and a 5'9 pg who is a 1-star recruit.  The PG is lightning quick, has a tremendous shot and I think he will get some looks from low-mid majors.  Despite this, the team is incredibly balanced, very athletic, and extremely good defensively.  They play with a bunch of 6'3 guards, speed you up, and destroy passing lanes.  They lost by 1 point in the Norcal final to Woodcreek a few weeks ago so I wouldn't count them out.   This marks the first time in history that no Bay Area team will be represented in the Northern Open finals.  Two Sacramento teams, what are the odds. 

13 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Sheldon - This is a fascinating team.  They are led by 2-star recruit, and a 5'9 pg who is a 1-star recruit.  The PG is lightning quick, has a tremendous shot and I think he will get some looks from low-mid majors.  Despite this, the team is incredibly balanced, very athletic, and extremely good defensively.  They play with a bunch of 6'3 guards, speed you up, and destroy passing lanes.  They lost by 1 point in the Norcal final to Woodcreek a few weeks ago so I wouldn't count them out.   This marks the first time in history that no Bay Area team will be represented in the Northern Open finals.  Two Sacramento teams, what are the odds. 

in oregon, jeremiah dominguez was a 5'6 jitterbug of a point guard for south salem about a decade ago who stunned the defending state champion in the title game on shear tiny awesomeness. everyone scoffed at his size, he ended up signing with portland state, and he led the vikings to their lone two ncaa tourney appearances in school history. he single handily got ken bone hired at wazzu.

this story goes nowhere other than to say those tiny guys are no joke. they'll beat you and then cripple a pac-12 program.

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

If the rumors about Bagley's dad taking Nike money is true, I like ucla's chances with Brown.

If Cal hires the right coach, Brown is ours.  His dad absolutely hates flying and everything I've heard indicates he is just looking for an excuse to stay home.   If Cal hires an uninspiring coach, he's obviously gone regardless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived