2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Akot just reclassified to the 2017 class. Arizona has to be the favorite at this point 

Rawlie Alkins just announced he was coming back as well.  Still, This is the 7th year in a row Arizona has recruited a top 7 class so it's not like they aren't ridiculously talented every year.  

3 hours ago, glduck said:

i'm saying it: usc wins both the football and hoops conference titles next year.

Football, wouldn't be surprised. Basketball would be pretty shocking. Enfield is a good coach, but hard to make up the talent gap that some teams ( like Arizona ) have over them at the moment.

22 hours ago, Mano said:

Football, wouldn't be surprised. Basketball would be pretty shocking. Enfield is a good coach, but hard to make up the talent gap that some teams ( like Arizona ) have over them at the moment.

USC is stacked with talent.  This team will be even more talented than the Henry Bibby coached team that beat Durant and Texas and went to the sweet 16.  Quite possibly their most talented team ever.  

• 2 weeks later...

Cal basketball -- left for dead by many including myself -- just received commitments from two top 100 players in the 2018 class in the past 24 hours.  One of them was from Texas and had offers from Baylor, Oklahoma, Okie Lite, TAMU, Oregon, and several others.  Not sure how we beat out those teams for a Texas kid. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I doubt the rumor about him reclassifying is true.  If it is, USC has to be a top 4 team in the nation.  

With Bagley almost assuredly not going to UCLA, this means that Cal will have to work harder than ever to keep Brown away from the Bruins.  From what I'm hearing, Cal is in a great spot.  Seems like an Ivan Rabb situation in that the kid wants to stay local and his parents want him to as well.  His dad has flight anxiety issues and I hear that will play a role. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Bagley is on his OV to UCLA. There isn't a sense that they are going to land him though. Brown isn't likely an option even though they are his list. Cal and St. John's are thought to be the leader. Ucla has some deadweight on the coaching staff

Despite the article from Zag, there is zero chance that Brown ends up at St Johns or any east coast or mid west school.  There is a reason he only has one offer east of the Rockies.  His dad said that article was a joke and that he was quoted out of context.  

4 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

The lead recruiter for St. Johns is Greg St Jean whose dad Garry was an NBA coach for years, a former Warriors GM and is on the tv staff for the Warriors now in the Bay Area. Greg grew up in the Bay Area so he has lots of ties there.

Yes, I understand the ties, the St. Jeans have very strong Bay Area ties as does Mullin and Richmond but that still doesn't change the fact that Dion Brown has been telling recruiters for years that there is no way his son is playing far from home.  This is why he has no offers from anyone other than St Johns on the East Coast, Mid West, South or Southwest.  He has flight anxiety and Dion/Jordan are as close as a father/son can be.   I very much doubt he ends up there.  Also, you hardly need Bay Area ties to steal Bay Area recruits.  Arizona has been doing it for years as has Oregon with little-to-no Bay Area ties. 

I think Arizona, UCLA and Cal are most likely destinations for Brown with Cal being the most likely at the moment.  

Bagley picks Duke over USC and UCLA. UCLA is in a pretty precarious position for future big men recruiting. Jordon Brown got the impression that UCLA wanted Bagley more and did a poor job co-recruiting him and is at best, a distant third in that recruitment. Bad things going on at UCLA right now. Alford is using UCLA to get into top 5's, which he should, but he does not have the charisma or reputation to get much more than that. He really needs to focus on strictly west coast kids and not going chasing top 20 kids all over the country unless there is a pre-existing relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan Brown is transferring to Prolific Prep. Woodcreek was never going to be good exposure for Brown and the schedule he plays isn't challenging so it's probably a good move. I still don't know UCLA hasn't gone harder after him. The latest recruiting update sounds promising, but Alford's inability to keep kids warm while recruiting other kids is going to be a death blow

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mano said:

Timmy Allen, a 6'6" SF out of Mesa AZ. Had offers from UCLA, USC, Cal, Nebraska, ASU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, SDSU among others.

http://247sports.com/Player/Timmy-Allen-9 1650

http://www.scout.com/player/timmy-allen-9 1650

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/20 18/timmy-allen-4983 

Cal had stopped recruiting Allen a long time ago and I imagine that was the case for UCLA as well.  Still, he's a solid player with a lot of potential from a great AAU program. 

I wonder how this will affect Utah's recruitment of Warren Washington.  They were the presumed leaders for a long time but I've heard that is no longer the case as of last week. 

Also, Bryan Penn-Johnson is probably heading to Utah.  He would be a terrific get for the Utes. 

Archived