Comedians

KUGRDON

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, Mano said:

Rickles was one of my favorites, a one of a kind classic. His humor was inoffensive, because he intentionally offended everyone. He will be missed.

I liked the guy, didn't appreciate his humor much.  A little of it went a long way, he was easy to get tired out.A little of it went a long way, he was easy to get tired out.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

I liked the guy, didn't appreciate his humor much.  A little of it went a long way, he was easy to get tired out.A little of it went a long way, he was easy to get tired out.

I grew to appreciate his act more as I have gotten older. At first glance, he was certainly abrasive, but I have grown to appreciate the fine line he walked saying "offensive" things without truly being offensive, kind of like Carlin. There is also a lot of nostalgia I feel with the passing of more and more of the entertainers who were big when I was growing up, there are not many left, and those of today just don't seem larger than life to me like those from my youth.

9 hours ago, Mano said:

I grew to appreciate his act more as I have gotten older. At first glance, he was certainly abrasive, but I have grown to appreciate the fine line he walked saying "offensive" things without truly being offensive, kind of like Carlin. There is also a lot of nostalgia I feel with the passing of more and more of the entertainers who were big when I was growing up, there are not many left, and those of today just don't seem larger than life to me like those from my youth.

I liked what he did sitting on the couch with Johnny or Dave much better than his standup. His conversational, impromptu humor was great and you could see his gentle personality much better.  Guys like Johnny, Dave, Bob Newhart, and Frank Sinatra really loved him.  It's the same kind of chemistry that you see today, for example, between Seinfeld Louis CK and Chris rock.

just watched the first of two new Chappelle specials on Netflix. his OJ stuff was great... i wouldn't call it the best standup I've ever heard but Chappelle is kind of in that stratosphere where he can sell jokes not a lot of other comedians can. he's just funny being him. 

"he saves people... but the rape."

Chappelle's first episode was the better one.  The way he tied together his superhero movie with Bill Cosby was nothing short of brilliant.  Dave is the classic comedian with a razor's edge of anger and bitterness enveloping a LOT of funny shit.  There are few modern-day philosophers with respect to the issue of racism who are more on point than Dave Chappelle.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:49 AM, Orange said:

Chappelle's first episode was the better one.  The way he tied together his superhero movie with Bill Cosby was nothing short of brilliant.  Dave is the classic comedian with a razor's edge of anger and bitterness enveloping a LOT of funny shit.  There are few modern-day philosophers with respect to the issue of racism who are more on point than Dave Chappelle.

For me, nothing beats his blind white supremacist skit.  Sheer genius.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:49 AM, Orange said:

Yeah, the first was definitely better than the last and both I thought were better than Louis CK's new standup.  Chappelle is easily my favorite comedian of all time and no performance will ever top his "live at the Filmore, For What It's Worth."  Two of my best friends invited me to go to that show and I decided not to for reasons I'm still not sure of.  I've never regretted a decision to not attend a show/game/performance more.  I had a ticket to one of the all-time great performances in comedy history and I passed.  D'oh!

I saw this year's Louis CK stand-up live in Portland.  Being drunk as shit and watching him in person definitely made the laughs come easier, and he seems lately to be relying more on the funny-voiced Dane Cook-style bits (albeit with originality and a much higher IQ).  

Still, his abortion bit was one of the better ones I'd ever seen or heard.  To get a laugh out of a Portland crowd based on sympathy for Planned Parenthood protesters is no easy feat....and he got a ROAR.  And of course there's the "I think women should be able to kill babies..." setup.  He's always gutsy.

Did you see him on SNL?  That "#ThanksScott" sketch.  Holy shit.  Nobody does a better job of putting liberals in their place (while still being a liberal himself) than Louis CK.

19 minutes ago, Orange said:

I saw this year's Louis CK stand-up live in Portland.  Being drunk as shit and watching him in person definitely made the laughs come easier, and he seems lately to be relying more on the funny-voiced Dane Cook-style bits (albeit with originality and a much higher IQ).  

Still, his abortion bit was one of the better ones I'd ever seen or heard.  To get a laugh out of a Portland crowd based on sympathy for Planned Parenthood protesters is no easy feat....and he got a ROAR.  And of course there's the "I think women should be able to kill babies..." setup.  He's always gutsy.

Did you see him on SNL?  That "#ThanksScott" sketch.  Holy shit.  Nobody does a better job of putting liberals in their place (while still being a liberal himself) than Louis CK.

I saw him live when he came through San Francisco as well.   "Abortion is like taking shit.  Okay, it's either like taking a shit or killing a baby.  That's it.  Those are you're only two options." 

He definitely has some extremely funny bits but I don't think this years standup was as consistent as his other efforts.  The last 30 minutes or so of the show I was at was mediocre, especially for a guy as talented as he is. 

The best comedy show I've seen all year is Tom Papa.  If you get the chance to see that guy, do it. 

Archived