NBA 2017-18 Thread

PapaG

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's a very good question. houston would likely still be assembling their attempt at a superteam, because the clipper project was a flop even if the warriors didn't exist. so that frees up chris paul to leave LA.

but i think the dis-assembly of cleveland is obviously a direct correlation to golden state. if lebron was happy in cleveland because the cavs had an easier path to the trophy, i imagine that kyrie would stay put... i really do think his trade demand was all about beating lebron out of town. i can't imagine a superstar i'd rather play alongside than bron bron, i don't buy that "needing to spread my wings" crap. if you're winning titles alongside the best player in the game, who also happens to be a gifted and willing passer who WANTS to get you involved, you stay.

3 hours ago, glduck said:

that's a very good question. houston would likely still be assembling their attempt at a superteam, because the clipper project was a flop even if the warriors didn't exist. so that frees up chris paul to leave LA.

but i think the dis-assembly of cleveland is obviously a direct correlation to golden state. if lebron was happy in cleveland because the cavs had an easier path to the trophy, i imagine that kyrie would stay put... i really do think his trade demand was all about beating lebron out of town. i can't imagine a superstar i'd rather play alongside than bron bron, i don't buy that "needing to spread my wings" crap. if you're winning titles alongside the best player in the game, who also happens to be a gifted and willing passer who WANTS to get you involved, you stay.

Right now it's Golden State at one time it was Miami. I don't think it so much a function of Golden State as it is a function of the players being in control of the NBA.  Two or three collude to build a champion and then everybody has to adjust.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Right now it's Golden State at one time it was Miami. I don't think it so much a function of Golden State as it is a function of the players being in control of the NBA.  Two or three collude to build a champion and then everybody has to adjust.

You could be right but I see it like this:

1. Miami never dominated the NBA like the Warriors have.  Their playoff record wasn't as good, their regular season was nowhere close to as good (despite playing in the easy Eastern Conference) and they had a big 3 with no depth, not a big 4 with plenty of depth.  Advanced metrics show that the modern NBA has never seen anything quite like this Warriors team and it shows in the comments of players and GMs alike.  

2.  There have been more blockbuster trades and huge free agents leaving town than I can ever recall seeing in NBA history.  You could be right that part of this is due to a increased control that the players have.  I think a huge part of it is that players and teams realize what they are up against and feel the need to combine forces more so now than ever before.  When the Celtics grouped up, they were the only ones but the Lakers still felt they could handle them (and they did.)  Then they got old and the heat grouped up.  They were the only team that grouped but the Spurs still felt like they could handle them (and they did.)  Now the Warriors have a super team and Cleveland, Boston and Houston have tried to group up star players.  Even a team like Minnesota is swinging for the fences.  It doesn't seem like anyone truly believes they can handle the Warriors now that Kevin Durant is on the team without making some serious moves.  

6 hours ago, glduck said:

Super teams generally consist of guys who win big games and win in the playoffs. What Houston has is a team full of guys who fold under pressure and haven't won crap.

further proof boston sports fans are the worst sports fans: public burnings of isaiah thomas' jersey.

this man did not want to be traded. he helped turned around a mediocre rebuilding period. he plays as hard or harder than most players on a given night. he came and played in a playoff game the day after his sister was killed.

WHY ARE YOU BURNING HIS JERSEY?

13 minutes ago, glduck said:

further proof boston sports fans are the worst sports fans: public burnings of isaiah thomas' jersey.

this man did not want to be traded. he helped turned around a mediocre rebuilding period. he plays as hard or harder than most players on a given night. he came and played in a playoff game the day after his sister was killed.

WHY ARE YOU BURNING HIS JERSEY?

Massachusetts liberals.  Ok ok, just an easy shot.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:39 AM, glduck said:

i admire cleveland's attempt to also get brown or tatum thrown into the deal. i imagine they were laughed out of the meeting, but way to reach for the stars.

Can LeBron, Paul George, Lonzo Ball, and Brandon Ingram compete with the Dubs in 2018-19?   Does Westbrook leave OKC too for, say, San Antonio?

The West is going to be sick and the East will be even more unwatchable than it is now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived