Is Taggart leaving?

EastCoastFan

19 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

That might be the worst reason ever to hire a coach, and I'm pretty sure the OregonAD knows it

Well, he's a proven recruiter and has HC experience, so I'm sold on him.

Taggart was the Hype Guy of the program, and I did like that energy he brought, but Cristobal and Leavitt were the only reason Taggart didn't go 2-10, because with last year's defense, that's what Slick Willie would have been staring at in the face.  I'd also like to see what Cristobal could do with a larger imprint on the offense, because Slick Willie's offense without Herbert was unwatchable.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, All Hail said:

Why is Wilcox even on the short list?

The Ducks passed on him as a DC in 2013 and 2015 but now they supposedly think he's a top choice for a HC in 2018 after a 5-7 campaign?  

Solely because of his Oregon roots, which run deep.  I'd be shocked if it's him, though.  Plus it would be hypocritical for UO to poach Wilcox after one year at Cal considering how Mullens shit all over Taggart in the presser earlier this week.

On 12/6/2017 at 5:11 PM, MrBug708 said:

Sucks for the kids but Troy Dye committed to Helfrich, and his brother is only going because Troy has outkicked the coverage on his skillset. How many kids actually committed and enrolled at Oregon when Taggert was coach? 10?

You might want to fact check the rest of your post, naturally.

First of all, Bug, it doesn't matter who recruited Dye.  He and his family believe Taggart lied to their faces, and I'm guessing the dad part has to do with Travis.  What Helfrich has to do with that, only your bitter little mind running this little tiny website knows.

Secondly, mybad, it's 4 teams in 6 years, and still only coached one bowl game.

2012 Western Kentucky and then USF before Bowl season

2013 USF

2014  USF

2015 USF

2016 USF

2017 Oregon and FSU before Bowl game

8 hours ago, Orange said:

He's about to lead USC to their second-consecutive big-6 bowl (in his 2nd year), and he has a Rose Bowl win under his belt.

Outside of Tuscaloosa, no one really does better than that on a regular basis, anywhere.

He lost to Notre Dame by 124 points with a #1 overall NFL pick at QB and has more talent on his roster by far than any other Pac 12 team.

If Darnold leaves, next year we will see if Helton can coach.

9 minutes ago, PapaG said:

First of all, Bug, it doesn't matter who recruited Dye.  He and his family believe Taggart lied to their faces, and I'm guessing the dad part has to do with Travis.  What Helfrich has to do with that, only your bitter little mind running this little tiny website knows.

Secondly, mybad, it's 4 teams in 6 years, and still only coached one bowl game.

2012 Western Kentucky and then USF before Bowl season

2013 USF

2014  USF

2015 USF

2016 USF

2017 Oregon and FSU before Bowl game

If he's talkin about Travis, let's be honest, he was going to Oregon if Keith gilberson was the coach. I get he's upset but Taggert didn't sign any of the Dye kids

7 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

I'm not sure where you think Oregon should be aiming. I think we can take Dabo, Nick and Urban off the table, and Petersen and Shaw aren't going anywhere. Who should Oregon be looking at? Belichick? Carroll?

I'm not sure who was contacted, or who absolutely would say no.  But as I said in another thread, coaches who certainly seem to have more chops than the candidates we're hearing include guys like Gary Patterson, Mark Dantonio, Bobby Petrino, Dave Cutcliffe, James Franklin, Larry Fedora, and Pat Fitzgerald.  Would they come to Eugene if the cash flowed for them and for assistants, and they had elbow room on decisions?  Who knows.

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I don't even think Cristobal thinks he's in the same realm as Dantonio, so that s pretty much nonsense. Mark dantonio is 117-62 in his career. Cristobal is a mediocre head coach

He coached at a school that the football facilities were trailers.  It' not exactly a easy place to win.  

1. this is probably msu’s most successful era ever, and dantonio has won 3 B1G titles and has a playoff appearance. it’s OK to be excited about cristobal without going overboard.

2. i don’t even know what you can take from cristobal’s stint at FIU to say he’s good, bad, or mediocre. that place is a cemetery of awful football. he was HC for the only two winning seasons they’ve ever had, but sustained success alluded him, as it has everyone who’s tried. 

if hired, i’m looking forward to the excellent recruiter and saban disciple who has obviously done enough to get the entire team and most of this class behind him. we’ll see how he does as the head guy.

I just thought that Oregon would shoot higher, want more.  If the fan base here is any indication, it's understandable why they're heading in the direction they are.  I root for every Pac-12 team to excel.  Most don't, but it's still the goal.    If A&M can reach high, and FSU also can, I sorta guessed that the Ducks had the elbows, cash, vision, and panache to do the same.  Maybe not.

gotta be realistic, though. your list:

gary patterson: we’ve inquired before. he’s not leaving.

mark dantanio: good coach, obviously, but he fits the culture here in no way. bad fit.

bobby petrino: baggage.

dave cutliffe: interesting, but doesn’t move the needle any more than the names thrown around here. zero west coast ties.

james franklin: why would he leave penn state for oregon?

larry fedora: see cutliffe.

pat fitzgerald: a fine coach who’s already at his alma mater.

glduck, that's the thinking that I was talking about.  A couple of other Pac-12 schools also have it, including USC and CU.   (e.g., Leavitt fits Duck culture (lol).  Franklin, who's been rumored for real jobs, wouldn't listen?  Fitz isn't ready for another challenge?  Once you've asked Patterson, you don't ask again -- check out some of the other hires this year on the second inquiry.)  I've said all I'm gonna say.  Think small, and guess what you'll be (sad when you have the resources that so many don't.)

Here' the issue for those not understanding, Frost already had taken a job, as did Chip.  UO and any other Pac school isn't stealing a coach from east of Mississippi who is already successful at a big 5 school.  Its just a fact.  

Seeing reports suggesting Sumlin has gotten the job.  I'l hold judgment until I see his staff if true.

Archived