Is Taggart leaving?

EastCoastFan

40 minutes ago, trickydlck said:

Isn't the damage pretty much done at this point? No doubt he may not leave but seems very heavy flirtation that may impair some relationships going forward. Almost seems like he has to sign with FSU now.

in the world of duck message boards, absolutely. taggart has blown up an orphanage full of children and absconded with the queen's jewels. he's basically hitler.

to the team and the administration, it all depends on how open he's been. from what i've gathered, he's been very upfront about his admiration for florida state and that he was going to entertain an offer. we haven't gotten a *ton* of quotes from current players since sunday night (team banquet) but most of what i came across were attitudes much more mature than your average oregon message board fan ("i love coach, but it's a business" etc). imo, it's the not-knowing that's sucked -- fans are only privy to so much, so we've been dealing with this since thursday/friday. it's entirely possible taggart told the AD last week he won't even meet with florida state until monday (yesterday) and don't expect anything until tuesday (today) and everyone who matters is good with that timeline. but i don't know.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, trickydlck said:

Isn't the damage pretty much done at this point? No doubt he may not leave but seems very heavy flirtation that may impair some relationships going forward. Almost seems like he has to sign with FSU now.

I agree that it doesn't look good but if he somehow ends up sticking with Oregon, he can say that he had what might be a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach his dream job and he couldn't in good consciousness not pursue the opportunity.  However, now that he is back with Oregon, there is no other job that would cause him to look around ever again.  

That being said, if this truly is his dream job, how can you walk away from that?

it sounds like florida state is trying to be as cheap as possible, taking into account what we know about the situation i would be surprised if leavitt left. he has a fairly substantial buyout for any school not kansas state. he has no reason to be loyal to taggart, they've worked together for a year and it was the UO that ponied up the money to pry him away from colorado.

My observation is that Taggart is handling this professionally, above board  I'm not sure I get why FSU is a dream job, though.  I've been to the Florida Panhandle often, and many times to Eugene, and the comparison is stark.  Tallahassee isn't Miami or Daytona, it's sandy redneckland, with a university that will always be third in the minds and hearts of Floridians.  I get the "recruiting hotbed" rep of the Sunshine State, but it's not as though Taggart was failing at attracting blue chips to Oregon (on Rivals right now, the Duck class is ranked 6th, FSU's is 40th).

Everybody knew this all was coming down before Chip signed with UCLA.  I'm curious why Oregon wouldn't have been more proactive with their options, unless they really don't want Kelly back ... or, have somebody else who's a rock star hidden carefully under a rock just waiting for the opening.  I guess, thinking about this, I'm not going to be surprised if Taggart leaves and the Ducks don't bite for anybody currently on their staff or the Sumlin-types.  Instead, just maybe, they'll do exactly what A&M did to FSU, and then FSU did to Oregon -- dangle $40 or $60 or $80 million in front of a Dantonio or Patterson or Franklin or Gundy or Fitzgerald and land a winner.

i agree that tallahassee is redneck central, but the whole taggart family are diehard florida state fans. just how they were raised. 

i'm not sure if we really knew this was all happening prior to ucla/chip. jimbo to a&m is a step down, and while there were rumors, i think that $75 million contract took everybody by surprise. once it happened, people got nervous. chip and ucla came together long before jimbo quit fsu. besides, i don't know if chip would come back here. we had a handshake agreement last year, and he renegaded. i think he wants a new challenge. 

I have passed through Tally and I will agree it's nothing special but the FSU job has got to be attractive since Jimbo handled the pressure of succeeding a legend.  IMO, only difference between UO and FSU is the pressure to win, culture, and recruiting.  If any coach that has the energy to recruit would probably pick UO over FSU but for any coach who doesn't really recruit, FSU is the place.

1 hour ago, Downthefield said:

I guess, thinking about this, I'm not going to be surprised if Taggart leaves and the Ducks don't bite for anybody currently on their staff or the Sumlin-types.  Instead, just maybe, they'll do exactly what A&M did to FSU, and then FSU did to Oregon -- dangle $40 or $60 or $80 million in front of a Dantonio or Patterson or Franklin or Gundy or Fitzgerald and land a winner.

Interesting possibility. The ducks certainly have the roster and schedule next year to attract an established coach with the possibility of winning right away. Any one of the coaches you list would obviously be a huge upgrade over Taggart. Is Oregon that committed to winning? Would be an SEC type move.

31 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

IMO, only difference between UO and FSU is the pressure to win, culture, and recruiting.

I’d add competition within the division & conference to win a conference title.

NB:  is there a softer division in P5 than the “ACC Coastal”? https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/standings?group=9

20 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I’d add competition within the division & conference to win a conference title.

NB:  is there a softer division in P5 than the “ACC Coastal”? https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/standings?group=9

The Pac 12 South

The Big Ten West

The SEC East

I think the ACC Coastal is plenty good.  Their 4th place team beat Clemson and Miami.  Their 5th place team handed Boise State it's largest loss at home in forever.  Their 6th place team beat 20th ranked Northwestern 41-17.  Try to find another division in the P5 whose middle and botton tier teams have such a resume? 

The ACC in general is just tough.  Their OOC record and their 2016/17 bowl game record speaks for itself.   They have been the best conference from top-to-bottom over the past 2 years and I don't think it's close. 

Beating Boise State or Northwestern is not going to impress anyone & besides I was specifically NOT talking about OOC since it was in context of winning your division/conference.

But you do raise a interesting point I didn’t realize, all the P5 conferences have been one-division-dominant in the past 5-7 years.  Perhaps Dan Wetzel is right & we should just get rid of the championship games.

(sorry for hijacking the thread, I’m done)

1 minute ago, Scscsc89 said:

Beating Boise State or Northwestern is not going to impress anyone & besides I was specifically NOT talking about OOC since it was in context of winning your division/conference.

But you do raise a interesting point I didn’t realize, all the P5 conferences have been one-division-dominant in the past 5-7 years.  Perhaps Dan Wetzel is right & we should just get rid of the championship games.

Wait. So you do acknowledge that OOC has no bearing on winning the division/conference? Good to know.

29 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

It should.  When the purpose is to discuss the strength of a conference division, a 6th place team's (out of 7) dominant victory over a ranked Big Ten team is very impressive.  A dominant road win over a tough opponent by a 5th place team is very impressive and relevant.  How can you compare the strength of a given conference without taking a look at the OOC?  The OOC outcomes show that beating a team like Pittsburg, Virginia or even Duke is no small accomplishment.  It's not easy and lots of capable teams fail to do so.  

Archived