Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetopstories/ci_29660542/rick-george-leads-cus-fundraising-explosion

Rick George, CU's AD, has raised more than $100 million in his first three years in Boulder and already met the goals for four out of five incentives written into his contract.  He'll get a contract extension soon.

CU is less than $11 million away from meeting that $105 million goal and it was done without any $10 million or more checks.  The biggest one was for $3 million.  CU does have an oil sugar daddy but since he couldn't gain the type of control his fellow oil baron buddy Boone Pickens enjoys at OSU, I'm not sure if he has contributed one cent to this drive.  Moving to the Pac-12 has helped CU big time and CU will eventually contribute in football.

Once that $105 million is met, I'm wondering if CU will take on a phase two of Folsom Field which would be the west side stands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Building a giant high school football stadium to become a "destination city."  They just haven't quite figured out this urban planning thing in the South yet have they?

You haven't quite figured out that in the south they take vacations to see high school football stadiums.

You haven't quite figured out that in the south they take vacations to see high school football stadiums.

I doubt it.  How many southerners are really going to vacation in this town to check out their football stadium.  I bet less than 500 families per year. 

This is twisted on so many levels. It is being built with school bond money. It's primary justification is economic stimulus. WTF.

I mean, would the revenue go to more science teachers so Texas quits teaching kids that the earth was constructed on the back of a turtle?

• 1 month later...

Some photos:

CkCsZ5PVAAAoWbR.jpgCU'

CU's new practice fields by the newly opened IPF.

CiHLKHVVAAENgb2.jpg w

New sound system going up at the CEC.  Jumbotron scoreboard will be next.  CU already has two big video boards and two scoreboards in the corners of the CEC.  Perhaps luxury suites will be installed in those areas at some point.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210976936

What caught my attention was the ability to move those speakers around if there were renovations to occur.  I think it would be difficult to put a rice rink in that arena but there are plans to move the bathrooms and concession stands further away so it might be possible.  IMO, if CU decided to start up a men & women's ice hockey program, CU would have to raze the CEC and build a new arena on the site.  CU's basketball & volleyball programs could play at a 6,000 seat arena in nearby Broomfield or the Denver Coliseum if not the Pepsi Center during that time.  Or the hockey teams could use the Denver Coliseum along with a CHL team called the Cutthroats (a type of fish). 

I believe CU will continue to add sports.  The next women's sport would probably be softball while I think lacrosse should be the next men's sport.  I think this is tied to the west side renovations and probably will take out like three to five rows in the front and raise the playing field.