Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

Why is it an either/ or situation, is it possible that USC did wrong and the NCAA is corrupt?

What did USC do wrong? Keep in mind, The Pac-12 took a hit too. What did the Pac-12 do wrong? The penalties were overly harsh. Don't you think?

What about the athletes over the last few years who had nothing to do with it? Why did they carry the biggest burden?

And what are you going to say when the corrupt NCAA pulls the exact same crap against UCLA?

What did USC do wrong? Keep in mind, The Pac-12 took a hit too. What did the Pac-12 do wrong? The penalties were overly harsh. Don't you think?

What about the athletes over the last few years who had nothing to do with it? Why did they carry the biggest burden?

And what are you going to say when the corrupt NCAA pulls the exact same crap against UCLA?

The transgressions of USC under Pete Carroll are well documented and well covered at this point, I can post a list but it would be too long. I doubt USC was concerned with the rest of the PAC 10 when they suddenly started steam rolling the conference during the Carroll era, and the PAC 12 is doing just fine. I do not think the penalties were too harsh considering USC was a repeat offender, already on probation, and did not cooperate with the NCAA investigation. The NCAA does looks bad by letting Auburn, Ohio State, UNC, etc,, get off with little or no punishment.

The athletes are not stupid nor were they victims, they were quite aware of what they were signing up for with USC, the Reggie Bush investigation was going on for several years.

If UCLA let a coach run a program with a win at all cost mentality like Pete Carroll, with players constantly getting in trouble, and a reduced compliance department with only one employee, I would say UCLA gets what they deserve and I would stop supporting the program long before sanctions came even if they are winning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can this be proven? How are the admissions departments different?

His point is undermined by the fact that UCLA takes 3x more admits underqualified commits than Cal.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_28545960/cals-rigid-academic-standards-pose-tough-challenge-athletics

I know you've posted this before on how much harder it will be to recruit to Cal, but here seems to be an updated article on everything.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_28545960/cals-rigid-academic-standards-pose-tough-challenge-athletics

I know you've posted this before on how much harder it will be to recruit to Cal, but here seems to be an updated article on everything.

For UCLA to claim that they were unable to admit Marshawn is nonsense. They could admit him as an exception, just as Cal did and just as UCLA did with other athletes at a more frequent rate than Cal I might add. UCLA chose not to make academic exceptions for Lynch, likely because they were never serious contenders for him in the first place.  It takes approximately one Lynch interview to be convinced that he was never serious about leaving the East Bay.  

Anyhow, that is all in the past.  Moving forward, Cal will get to legitimately use the excuse UCLA's fans erroneously co-opted.  Cal could have saved themselves this trouble by doing what UCLA does and just invest more money into academic support for the players on campus but it wouldn't be Cal if the policy wasn't penny wise and pound foolish.

• 2 weeks later...

What's with the red stain along the shore, more of that EPA clean up gone bad?

Probably the same type of rock as the flatirons which are red of course.  Or that is the blood of Cornhuskers after some beat downs in Boulder.  We'll eventually line them with Ute blood.

When it comes to that EPA spill, everyone should be ticked off.

Probably the same type of rock as the flatirons which are red of course. Or that is the blood of Cornhuskers after some beat downs in Boulder. We'll eventually line them with Ute blood.

When it comes to that EPA spill, everyone should be ticked off.

Lol. Living in the life that once was in the b12 and hasn't happened yet in the pac 12 must suck.

UCLA Press Release:

The UCLA Athletic Department is pleased to announce a major personal financial commitment from head football coach Jim Mora and his wife Shannon that will be put toward the Wasserman Football Center project. In honor of Jim and Shannon's generosity, UCLA will name the Coaches’ Outdoor Terrace of the Wasserman Football Center in their honor.

The Mora family’s unprecedented commitment stands as the largest donation by a sitting head coach in UCLA history, further bolstering the Athletic Department’s ongoing campaign to raise sizeable funds for the construction of the state-of-the-art on-campus football training and performance center.

"We’ve seen Jim and Shannon touch the greater Los Angeles community in nearly every way conceivable through their Count on Me Family Foundation,” said Director of Athletics Dan Guerrero. “Whether serving as ambassadors for Special Olympics, helping raise money for deserving children or now giving directly back to the Bruin community through this incredibly generous donation, the Moras’ impact on this program, and this community, extends well beyond the field of play.”

Currently within $10 million of its fundraising goal, the UCLA Athletics Department will formally break ground on the Wasserman Football Center at an event scheduled to take place later this month on August 27. Mora hopes his family’s contribution will inspire others to help make meeting this goal a reality.

"UCLA has provided an amazing platform for us to help young people, both within our program and out in the community," said Jim Mora. "We are honored to join all the supporters who have contributed to this project and hope that others will continue to invest in the program we've been building over the past three years. Both Shannon and I are committed to establishing a lasting legacy here in Westwood and are excited about what the future holds for UCLA Football."

In fall of 2013, the UCLA Athletic Department announced a campaign to raise private funds for a comprehensive football training facility to be located on the west side of Spaulding Field, the practice field for the Bruin football team. The planned state-of-the-art facility, named the Wasserman Football Center, will house a locker room, athletic training area, strength and conditioning facility, coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms, equipment rooms and video rooms, in addition to several elements that will feature the storied history of UCLA football.

----------------------------

Should go a long way to negating the rumors that Mora is going to leave as soon as he can

• 2 weeks later...

I think that would be excellent given that Utah used to have "UTAH" where CU has "COLORADO" at Folsom Field before they razed the old stadium and built up RES for the 2002 Winter Olympics.  I believe CU fans had no idea another school had a similar design until the Buffs made the move to the P12.

I'm sure when Popular Mechanic watches the game, they will remember who UTAH is.  :lol: