2022 TV/Movie thread

Orange

• 1 month later...

Home stretch for 2022 TV.  Here are my picks and pans of 2022 (this only includes shit I've actually watched, so don't freak out if I don't include Severence or some such shit that I don't subscribe to):

Picks:

Rings of Power 
House of Dragon

The Old Man
Andor (SOOOOO much potential with this style of Star Wars storytelling)
White Lotus (Best season finale for an HBO show I've seen in years)
What We Do in the Shadows
Abbot Elementary
Better Call Saul
Fleishman in Trouble
Atlanta (Runner up for best series finale I've ever seen; 1st place is Breaking Bad)

Honorable Mention:

The Peripheral - kinda original, escapist sci-fi shit.
Reacher - See above
Jack Ryan -- was Season 2 in 2022?  Either way, def gonna watch Season 3.
The English -- kinda bends the Western genre in a way Unforgiven also tried.
Vikings: Valhalla -- much better than the final couple seasons of Vikings.

Pans:

1899 -- weird, more boring attempt at Lost.  Somehow I powered through, but I'm not sure why.
The Terminal List -- Utterly pointless and Jesusy Chris Pratt doing zero jokes.

Saw Avatar 2.

I really don't know how they're going to justify the cost of 3 more sequels, but it was definitely what you'd expect: Visually stunning, cool action sequences, hacky/schlocky human/Na'avi interactions and dialogue that make your eyes hurt from rolling, etc.  I'm also not really sure the plot worked.  Bottom line, this was a HUGELY complicated filmmaking endeavor that deserves respect, but it'd be cool if Tony Gilroy or someone could write the scripts.

The best single story about this movie is that Edie Falco thought it already came out and flopped, and didn't care, until she was told this month that it was being released.  

On 12/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, Mano said:

If you haven't watched Reservation Dogs, do it. Just found out about it 2 weeks ago and binged both seasons in a week.

I saw the first episode and didn't find myself being pulled in, but I'll power through the rest on the strength of your recommendation.

Likewise, there’s a lot of stuff I haven’t gotten to yet. 

Cheers:

Atlanta, Better Call Saul, Andor, House of the Dragon, Barry, Abbott, Westworld (still not as good as the first two seasons, but a step up from last season) Euphoria, 1883 (I fucking hate Yellowstone, but I actually really liked this), Ozark, Stranger Things, The Dropout, Never Have I Ever, The Rehearsal, What We Do In The Shadows, Cobra Kai

Jeers:

Rings of Power (what a horribly disappointing pile of shit), every Disney+ Marvel/Star Wars show except for Andor (Endgame was the perfect place to end the MCU. I know that’s unrealistic, all the movies and shows make a billion dollars each, but I’m really super-hero’ed out), Blockbuster (fun idea, I like the two leads, but man this was boring).

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Guess we don’t have a music thread.  For no reason I wanted to post the greatest tribute performance ever.  Heart doing Stairway To Heaven with the OGs in the balcony.  Epic.  I listen to it every couple of months.

Stairway and Maggy Mae were the songs of my Freashman year.

• 1 month later...

Mr. & Mrs. Smith on Prime is superb.  

“We’re in Night Country now.”  Stoked for the penultimate episode. 

Poor Things is overrated af.  Not much has changed for men analyzing female sexuality.   Everything turns to color when a man finally pleases her?   Meh.  Boring.  

Can’t wait to watch Zone of Interest.