2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 10/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, utenation said:

Sanders doesn't need extra coaching money.  How many national commercials does this guy do? Sanders doesn't need to worry about money. He's likely set for life.

It's the competitive challenge that drives him. People like this don't check tax rates of each state.

Agreed.  There are a bunch of factors that go into these decisions.  Sure, money matters, but it isn’t all there is.  I do suspect he is in boulder for a few years, but am a realist and know it’s just a guess.  

I’m curious to see what openings there may be.  

On 10/3/2023 at 1:55 PM, Buff_Fan said:

Agreed.  There are a bunch of factors that go into these decisions.  Sure, money matters, but it isn’t all there is.  I do suspect he is in boulder for a few years, but am a realist and know it’s just a guess.  

I’m curious to see what openings there may be.  

Like I said, keep your eye on Billy Napier. I think he makes $7.5 mill a year. Big buyout but Florida boosters will cover that.  Very, short leash in Gainesville.  I think Florida State is stable with Norvell(at least for a few years) and Miami seems somewhat stable with Mario. I disagree with Jalapeno about hiring black coaches in this area of the country. 

If Sanders wins enough to get a call for these jobs, I think race goes out the door because of the sizzle and winning factor. But this is jumping the gun.  Sander's is 3-2 this year.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:03 PM, utenation said:

Like I said, keep your eye on Billy Napier. I think he makes $10 mill a year. Big buyout but Florida boosters will cover that.  Very, short leash in Gainesville.  I think Florida State is stable with Norvell(at least for a few years) and Miami seems somewhat stable with Mario. I disagree with Jalapeno about hiring black coaches in this area of the country. 

If Sanders wins enough to get a call for these jobs, I think race goes out the door because of the sizzle and winning factor. But this is jumping the gun.  Sander's is 3-2 this year.

I’d imagine Napier gets another year, but who knows.  Especially in the sec the leashes get short.  

and 3-2 is amazing.  You remember the absolute dumpster fire cu football has been.  I watched each game last year, it was truly awful.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:06 PM, Buff_Fan said:

I’d imagine Napier gets another year, but who knows.  Especially in the sec the leashes get short.  

and 3-2 is amazing.  You remember the absolute dumpster fire cu football has been.  I watched each game last year, it was truly awful.

Did you watch Swamp Kings?

On 10/3/2023 at 1:49 PM, PAC MAN said:

Agree he could use playing time to improve his NFL stock but didn't he blow his knee out in the bowl game earlier this year?  Hard to blame him for being cautious.  I'm thinking he's back for the Cal game and he needs to do that before facing USC & UO in consecutive weeks.

I don't know what Cam will do. But my point is, I don't think he makes any large decision like this based on if a TE is out for the year.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, utenation said:

I don't know what Cam will do. But my point is, I don't think he makes any large decision like this based on if a TE is out for the year.

Does he have another year of eligibility after this year?  With Covid and redshirt it seems like kids can stay for a decade.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:12 PM, Buff_Fan said:

Half of it.  College football fans in general are not willing to let programs build.  I have a bunch of longhorns in the family and they are certifiable.

Short leash at Florida.  I think Napier has to show progress to stay around. After the loss to Kentucky, plenty of "Buyout" articles going around in Florida country.

On 10/3/2023 at 12:18 PM, PAC MAN said:

How many black head coaches have there been in the SEC?  Not many and that could be a reason why Coach Prime doesn't go to the South.

CU is getting about a $11-12M raise with that Big 12 media contract plus the CU AD has received almost $50M in donations the last two years and that was before the season started.  The money is definitely there for CU to extend Coach Prime if he wants to.

If Florida state wants him, he’ll go to Florida State. 

On 10/3/2023 at 6:28 AM, MrBug708 said:

8! Daughter is 5. My son eats, sleeps, and breathes anything sports related right now.

Wow, just wow.  Your last 10 years or so have been especially blessed.

After typing the foregoing I remembered your cancer disgnosis from last winter.  I was pretty out of it over most of the winter, so do I remember that right and if so, do you have any news? How are things going?

On 10/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, KUGRDON said:

Wow, just wow.  Your last 10 years or so have been especially blessed.

After typing the foregoing I remembered your cancer disgnosis from last winter.  I was pretty out of it over most of the winter, so do I remember that right and if so, do you have any news? How are things going?

Followup checks have been clear so far. But it's one that will never go away, it's just not visible. Once it pops up again, they just remove it and hope they dont have to remove to much of of the good parts of me. Despite all of that, I'll most likely die of something else before this type of cancer because of how early it was found. The other side of things is that it could be somewhere else in my body, slowly growing. Next check in in December.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:04 PM, utenation said:

Our collective is now handing out free Ram Trucks to all scholarship football players. Covers the lease and all Ins. 

The midnight editions are pretty nice. 

https://kslsports.com/505679/utah-football-receives-2024-ram-trucks-in-nil-deal/

Utah Utes Football Ram Truck NIL...

I have no problem with Utah doing this, and it actually seems they're doing it right by not giving a Lambo to the QB and a Yugo to the long-snapper.  My problem is on another level, a discomfort that college football has come to this.  It appears, though, that there's no turning back.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:02 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I have no problem with Utah doing this, and it actually seems they're doing it right by not giving a Lambo to the QB and a Yugo to the long-snapper.  My problem is on another level, a discomfort that college football has come to this.  It appears, though, that there's no turning back.

And somebody said am NIL was not a way to get around title nine. How many field hockey players got trucks?