2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 11/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, utenation said:

They put Ohio State at 6.  FSU is too high.  They just aren’t playing top grade ball right now without their QB. I think they lose to UL this week. 

Oregon deserves #4. The committee is sticking with undefeated teams in the top 4.  Nobody will convince me FSU is a better team than Oregon right now. 

But if Oregon beats Washington I think they are in. If Texas beats OSU, The Cowboys aren’t ranked high enough to move Texas into the top 4. 

FSU will sort itself either they beat Louisville and will make the playoff as I can't see the committee bypassing an undefeated P5 conference champion or they lose and will be out of the running completely.

I think the interesting thing is that they placed Ohio St in between Oregon & Texas/Alabama, all previous weeks they were always grouped together but now we have evidence the committee is saying there is separation between Oregon and the other 2.  I always thought that if we ended up with all 3 of them sitting there on selection Sunday at 12-1 that the brands of Texas & Bama would win out and that Oregon would be left to look on from the outside.

On 11/29/2023 at 7:18 AM, clpp01 said:

FSU will sort itself either they beat Louisville and will make the playoff as I can't see the committee bypassing an undefeated P5 conference champion or they lose and will be out of the running completely.

I think the interesting thing is that they placed Ohio St in between Oregon & Texas/Alabama, all previous weeks they were always grouped together but now we have evidence the committee is saying there is separation between Oregon and the other 2.  I always thought that if we ended up with all 3 of them sitting there on selection Sunday at 12-1 that the brands of Texas & Bama would win out and that Oregon would be left to look on from the outside.

On the Bama thing. Them sitting at 8th, if they beat UGA, that would be the most impressive win but hopefully not enough to move them in the top 4.  But we both know SEC bias is alive and well.  

Would they move # 1 UGA out of the top 4 with a close loss to Bama?

Surpised Bama is only 8th with 1 loss. 

On 11/29/2023 at 9:07 AM, utenation said:

On the Bama thing. Them sitting at 8th, if they beat UGA, that would be the most impressive win but hopefully not enough to move them in the top 4.  But we both know SEC bias is alive and well.  

Would they move # 1 UGA out of the top 4 with a close loss to Bama?

Surpised Bama is only 8th with 1 loss. 

Alabama does have the worst loss of the 8 contenders and has looked underwhelming in half of their FBS games so 8th feels about right for them currently but they'll get a massive boost if they beat Georgia, I suspect that would push Bama all the way up to #3 come Sunday. 

As for Georgia I have a hard time seeing the committee picking 2 teams from the same conference when you have other legitimate options.  In most years the upsets would have driven out half of the current contender list but the absence of those upsets has kind of created a fire wall against double dipping.  A Georgia loss would imo eliminate Ohio St from being able to back door their way in and their path to the playoff would become Georgia's path.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:01 AM, clpp01 said:

Alabama does have the worst loss of the 8 contenders and has looked underwhelming in half of their FBS games so 8th feels about right for them currently but they'll get a massive boost if they beat Georgia, I suspect that would push Bama all the way up to #3 come Sunday. 

As for Georgia I have a hard time seeing the committee picking 2 teams from the same conference when you have other legitimate options.  In most years the upsets would have driven out half of the current contender list but the absence of those upsets has kind of created a fire wall against double dipping.  A Georgia loss would imo eliminate Ohio St from being able to back door their way in and their path to the playoff would become Georgia's path.

8 to # 3 is a huge jump.  I also think Ohio State is out no matter what happens. 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:08 AM, utenation said:

8 to # 3 is a huge jump.  I also think Ohio State is out no matter what happens. 

From 8 to 3

7 Ohio St - didn't play

6. Texas - They will argue clear separation between Bama/Texas to get around the H2H loss.

5. Oregon or Washington - Lost

4. Georgia - Lost 

3. Florida St - Even as an undefeated team they will be viewed as the weakest of the 4 teams

For Ohio St they are still in play, what they need is for Alabama, Texas & Florida St to all lose. Oregon losing to Washington would make it cleaner but wouldn't be necessary.  If those 3 lose you have Texas & Alabama picking up a 2nd loss knocking them out of the picture which leaves you with.

1. 13-0 Georgia

2. 13-0 Michigan

3. 13-0 Washington/12-1 Oregon

4a 11-1 Ohio St

4b 12-1 Florida St w/o starting QB

4c. 12-1 Washington 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:41 AM, clpp01 said:

From 8 to 3

7 Ohio St - didn't play

6. Texas - They will argue clear separation between Bama/Texas to get around the H2H loss.

5. Oregon or Washington - Lost

4. Georgia - Lost 

3. Florida St - Even as an undefeated team they will be viewed as the weakest of the 4 teams

For Ohio St they are still in play, what they need is for Alabama, Texas & Florida St to all lose. Oregon losing to Washington would make it cleaner but wouldn't be necessary.  If those 3 lose you have Texas & Alabama picking up a 2nd loss knocking them out of the picture which leaves you with.

1. 13-0 Georgia

2. 13-0 Michigan

3. 13-0 Washington/12-1 Oregon

4a 11-1 Ohio St

4b 12-1 Florida w/o starting QB

4c. 12-1 Washington that has been 

As long as UW or Oregon are in, that's all that matters to me. But this is the time of year where the scenarios go wild. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, MrBug708 said:

Dante will collect some more cash. Wonder if he is truly or bist or Chips shitty recruiting put Dante in a bad spot

I don’t think running a 3 headed QB monster all year was good for anyone. Especially, Moore who was your best QB, IMO.  

Freshmen turn the ball over. But he had the most talent out of Garbers and Schlee. Not sure who your QB coach is but it seems they gave up on Moore too quickly. A freshman is easily rattled getting put in the game, then yanked over and over. 

On 11/30/2023 at 3:02 PM, utenation said:

I don’t think running a 3 headed QB monster all year was good for anyone. Especially, Moore who was your best QB, IMO.  

Freshmen turn the ball over. But he had the most talent out of Garbers and Schlee. Not sure who your QB coach is but it seems they gave up on Moore too quickly. A freshman is easily rattled getting put in the game, then yanked over and over. 

Dante was basically handed the staring job and it wasn't pretty. But there is a lot of talk that the boosters pulled his NIL funding because of his performance 

On 11/30/2023 at 5:50 PM, MrBug708 said:

Dante was basically handed the staring job and it wasn't pretty. But there is a lot of talk that the boosters pulled his NIL funding because of his performance 

Interesting. Probably a big reason he bounced. You have a much better feel for UCLA than I ever will. 

But I watched a lot of games this year. I think Moore is talented. Just lacked confidence and rhythm.  The picks, some of them were just terrible. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:41 PM, utenation said:

Hearing rumors of Noah Fifita hitting the portal. I haven’t seen anything yet but heard it from another poster from a different board. 

Not sure how valid this is. 

College football is so fucking dead.   

I'll keep saying it, make this an NFL minor league and be done with it.  Force the NFL to fund it.