T3    USC    1.00
T3    Washington    1.00
T3    WSU    1.00
T10    Arizona    0.75
T10    ASU    0.75
T10    Oregon    0.75

add .75 point for each win vs. unranked FCS opponent
add 1 point for each win vs. unranked midmajor (non-P5) opponent
add 1.5 points for each win vs. an P5 team or FCS/midmajor opponent ranked 16-25 (AP)
add 2.5 points for each win vs. Top 15 (AP) opponent

subtract .5 points for each loss vs. Top 15 (AP) opponent
subtract 1 point for each loss vs. an P5 team or FCS/midmajor opponent ranked 16-25 (AP)
subtract 2 points for each loss  vs. unranked midmajor opponent
subtract 2.5 points for each loss vs. unranked FCS opponent

Divide by number of games played
AP Ranking is from today, not when the game was played

On 9/7/2023 at 8:43 AM, Orange said:

This always makes up for that ridiculous empire map.

You're just mad because Utah will be taking all your land you stole on the 29th. We will be bringing a battering ram and hot tar to your castle gates. We have the best archers in the business too.

Kidding. As I said on the football thread, I'm not looking forward to going on the road to Corvallis.. Could be a Utah loss.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:03 PM, dtd said:

Losing to #1 in, I dunno, Atlanta, in the Natty, vs Alabama, is -.5 but beating an FCS at team at home by 95 is +.5. (+.75 actually)

In the system’s defense, losing to Alabama in the NCG wouldn’t be -.5, it would be -.5/15 presumably with some very nice wins over highly-ranked teams that would give the team so much extra love that the title loss would hardly be felt in the team’s final score since the denominator is much larger than any other conference team you’re comparing them to.

You might also be making a mistake by directly comparing a FCS win with a NCG loss when it’s really built around the difference between beating an FCS team & losing to one.  (And the difference between a win against FCS and a win against a ranked team)

but to each their own — at the very least, I think it’s more interesting than “Power Rankings”   🙂

On 9/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, utenation said:

You're just mad because Utah will be taking all your land you stole on the 29th. We will be bringing a battering ram and hot tar to your castle gates. We have the best archers in the business too.

Kidding. As I said on the football thread, I'm not looking forward to going on the road to Corvallis.. Could be a Utah loss.

Well we have boiling oil and beavers are good at dams, so good luck getting across the moat.   

WEEK TWO

Position, Team, Score (Previous)
T1    Colorado    1.50    (T1)
T1    Utah        1.50    (T1)
3    WSU        1.25    (T3)
4    USC        1.17    (T3)
5    Oregon        1.13    (T10)
T6    UCLA        1.00    (T3)
T6    Washington    1.00    (T3)
8    Oregon St    0.88    (T3)
9    Stanford    0.25    (T3)
10    Cal        0.00    (T3)
T11    Arizona        -0.13    (T10)
T11    ASU        -0.13    (T10)

add 1.5 points for each win vs. an P5 team or FCS/midmajor opponent ranked 16-25 (AP)

subtract 1 point for each loss vs. an P5 team or FCS/midmajor opponent ranked 16-25 (AP)

On 9/11/2023 at 3:44 PM, Scscsc89 said:

WEEK TWO

T1    Colorado    1.50    (T1)
T1    Utah        1.50    (T1)
3    WSU        1.25    (T3)
4    USC        1.17    (T3)
5    Oregon        1.13    (T10)
T6    UCLA        1.00    (T3)
T6    Washington    1.00    (T3)
8    Oregon St    0.88    (T3)
9    Stanford    0.25    (T3)
10    Cal        0.00    (T3)
T11    Arizona        -0.13    (T10)
T11    ASU        -0.13    (T10)

I vote we freeze the standings here and don’t update them again.

On 9/8/2023 at 6:32 AM, Scscsc89 said:

In the system’s defense, losing to Alabama in the NCG wouldn’t be -.5, it would be -.5/15 presumably with some very nice wins over highly-ranked teams that would give the team so much extra love that the title loss would hardly be felt in the team’s final score since the denominator is much larger than any other conference team you’re comparing them to.

You might also be making a mistake by directly comparing a FCS win with a NCG loss when it’s really built around the difference between beating an FCS team & losing to one.  (And the difference between a win against FCS and a win against a ranked team)

but to each their own — at the very least, I think it’s more interesting than “Power Rankings”   🙂

Power rankings are an attempt at outcome prediction, even if it's just some dude saying I think USC will beat Oregon if they played tomorrow. What is the point otherwise? Rankings should literally be based on which teams would win games. That's the whole point. 

On 9/14/2023 at 12:54 AM, dtd said:

Power rankings are an attempt at outcome prediction, even if it's just some dude saying I think USC will beat Oregon if they played tomorrow. What is the point otherwise? Rankings should literally be based on which teams would win games. That's the whole point. 

SC's rankings are fun. Non biased, formula based.  And I'd have to go back through the final rankings over the years to verify but I think they end up being pretty accurate by year's end.

WEEK 3

1    Colorado    1.33    (T1)

Fresno State    1.25    

2      Utah        1.25    (T1)
T3    USC        1.17    (4)
T3    Washington    1.17    (T6)
T5    Oregon        1.08    (5)
T5    WSU        1.08    (3)
T7    Oregon St    0.92    (8)
T7    UCLA        0.92    (T6)
T9    Cal        0.25    (10)
T9    Arizona        0.25    (T11)
11    ASU        -0.58    (T11)
12    Stanford    -0.67   (9)

On 9/17/2023 at 6:14 PM, Orange said:

I haven’t watched WSU, but they’ve knocked off Wisconsin. And they seem to score at will.  I’d put them above OSU especially given how much the Beavs struggled against SDSU.  

I had a hard time not putting WSU ahead of Utah.  But I can’t drop Utah too far. We are the champs and have earned some street cred.  Beat us, and we’ll talk. 

i’m not sure how many teams in the country would be 3-0 against 2 P5 squads(1 ranked) with their 3rd string QB and missing about 8 starters the last 3 games. Utah has depth. But we’re not going anywhere without Cam. And I can’t move them up until they earn it. 

On 9/17/2023 at 7:27 PM, utenation said:

I had a hard time not putting WSU ahead of Utah.  But I can’t drop Utah too far. We are the champs and have earned some street cred.  Beat us, and we’ll talk. 

i’m not sure how many teams in the country would be 3-0 against 2 P5 squads with their 3rd string QB and missing about 8 starters the last 3 games. Utah has depth. But we’re not going anywhere without Cam. And I can’t move them up until they earn it. 

Utah deserves a ton of credit.  A ton of depth and great coaching that puts their players in a position to succeed.  The win over Florida is looking better and better.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:34 PM, Buff_Fan said:

Utah deserves a ton of credit.  A ton of depth and great coaching that puts their players in a position to succeed.  The win over Florida is looking better and better.

The good thing is, AP Voters believe. 
But let the gauntlet of playing in a conference with 8 ranked teams begin.