Conference Championship Game

Scscsc89

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoulda picked a neutral site -- like Eugene.  Even when it was a home game a few years ago I remember Friday being a problem. Since I couldn't have the day off and couldn't leave work until 5PM and then would have had a 2+ hour drive to Eugene for a game that started at 6PM it seemed like a dumb idea (other than this is driven by TV money and audiences while intentionally choosing to sacrifice live fans).

If money and time were no object, I'd consider it.   But in the real world ...

It is actually pretty shocking that there are so few quality seats left (you never know with computerized sales though whether they are showing all available or forcing you into certain buys).  They are going for $450 a pop though.  Even though I have known my team was going for 2 weeks now, I can't just take that day off at this late of notice and I suspect a lot of people who work have either used their allotted vacation for 2014 or don't have much flexibility either. Saturday night would be better for people who have to work and fly to the game (which is pretty much most fans who fill stadiums on game days at any school not located in California - and even many LA based fans would probably want to fly rather than drive for a quick trip).  Easily a $1000 trip for 2 from PDX if just went for the night once all costs accounted for, maybe you could get away with $500 if you bought the cheapest ticket in the stadium and had a friend's couch to surf.

I am guessing a lot of these tickets are corporate give-aways.  I also suspect it will be half full.    My TV will do just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone planning on going?

Neutral site was a mistake.

Can't be as big of a mistake as the Big 12 rotating the CCG until they decided to have it at Jerry World then a couple years later, there is no CCG.  As a former Big 12 fan, I hated seeing the CCG at damp places like St. Louis, Houston, and San Antonio.  The heart of the Big 12 basically ran on I-35 from Kansas City to Dallas.  Having the CCG in one place is much more ideal.  It worked well for the SEC and remains to be seen with the ACC and B1G.

But having the game on a Friday would be the bigger mistake.  All Pac-12 schools save for WSU are in large urban areas and rush hour on Friday is always hell.  Whoever thought Fridays were a good idea should be fired from their job.

It worked well for the SEC and remains to be seen with the ACC and B1G.

.... except that most SEC teams are a pretty easy drive to Atlanta compared to the Pac-12 -- let alone the number of SEC alumni that already live in Atlanta.   (Washington) Apples vs. (Florida) Oranges

Who cares about the crowd, it's game day! 

It looks like light rain tonight. That might be an advantage for Oregon, but Mariota has been more turnover prone against UA than against any other opponent. Credit to Scooby for a lot of that.

The Ducks have played two games on natural turf this year, including one at Field of Jeans. They're 2-0. (UCLA was the other.)

Arizona is 0-1 on natural turf (UCLA).

Nick Wilson has emerged as Arizona's feature back, but Jones-Grigsby actually put more yards on the Ducks back in October. He is set to return to the Wildcats' lineup tonight. With Tyner out, Royce Freeman will carry the load for the Ducks, but Byron Marshall will probably get some screens and wheel routes.

Ducks' duds for the CCG:

XkqJcf1.jpg

Lastly, please don't concuss any of our cheerleaders tonight, Arizona fans. Okay?

Good luck getting to Santa Clara in the South Bay traffic on a Friday! I'm thinking whoever planned this has never been to the South Bay before and has definitely never been to Levi's Stadium on a game day.  I would wager that about half the fans attending the game will be late.  Whoever decided it would be a good idea to have a game in the middle of Silicon Valley on a Friday really didn't give two shits about the fans.  And the game isn't even at 7, it's at 6pm.  Seriously, good luck with that commute, the fans are about to get fucked. 

And isn't the conference offices located within the Bay Area as well?  They should have known better right?

San Francisco is the Pac 12 HQs.  I have a feeling Levi's Stadium paid them a boat load of money -- as they did when they convinced Cal to give up it's home game against Oregon this year -- and they just went along with it regardless of how little sense it made. 

Archived