C/O 2017 Recruiting Thread

MrBug708

Some UCLA recruiting info/predictions/randomness

UCLA looks good for all three top OLB in the state of California. Rayme Johnson (commit), Addison Gumbs (going to likely commit in April), and Javaris Steward (who is a soft verbal because he committed and decommited to SC in a single day). I like Gumbs the best out of the 3 and he's a NorCal kid. Not much in the way of ILB's this class, but UCLA pulled in two good ones last year. They might grab Joshua Brown, out of LB Poly, whose older brother will be a senior at UCLA.

Darnay Holmes, the #2 CB in the nation, seems like a UCLA lean, but Stanford looms and his close friend, Keyshawn Jr, just committed to Nebraska. He's going to commit in June, but I'm sure he'll be wavering all year no matter where he goes. UCLA is also looking good for Elijah Gates, the #9 CB in the nation. Deommodor Lenoir also likes UCLA though I think he'll wait longer and things always change. I also read that top Utah DB, Chaz Ah You, has UCLA as a leader, though I'm more skeptical of that. But UCLA needs to upgrade its secondary so he'd be a nice addition there as well.

They already have a good prospect in Huntre Echols for the DE. I've read on the SC boards that he'll flip. I'm not really positive on that, but last year at this time, Mique Juarez was a Trojan while Michael Pittman was still a Bruin. The top DE in CA, Jelean Phillips, likes UCLA a lot and has a parent who is an alum, but because of his grades, Stanford might be in the driver seat. He's the #6 DE in the nation. UCLA also seems like in a good spot for DJ Johnson, a DE out of Sacramento. UCLA was doing well early on, but he's since blown up and I'm not sure if they still lead right now.

At DT,UCLA lead early on for Greg Rogers, out of Vegas (Not Bishop Gorman either!). When UCLA offered him last year, he called them his dream school. USC offered last month and he called it a dream offer and has since closed the gap. UCLA probably still leads, but signing day isn't until next February. Another DT, Marlon Tuipolou, is out of Oregon and UCLA apparently leads. I'm hesitant about info like that on a kid from Oregon, but UCLA does have precedence, landing 4* Owa, a few years ago. Two more 4* with UCLA in it are Martin Andrus from SoCal and Popo Aumavae. Jay Tufele is probably going to USC and Noah Elliss, out of CO, probably will head to the Midwest as opposed to out west.

Maybe I'll do offense at a later time. There is a great defensive class out west

For posterity sake:

Nailed

Phillips

Echols (to usc)

Holmes

Gates

Rogers

Andrus

Rahyme

Tufele (to usc)

Elliss (Midwest)

Missed

Gumbs, though he almost flipped back

Marlon had the surprise commit to UW then flipped

Ah You opted to other go on a mission right out of HS so BYU it was

Hedged

DJ Johnson

Polo

Steward decommitted and ended up in Texas after he moved away from SoCal

Lennoir

Pretty good in March. As far as Asiasi goes, he doesn't have release from Michigan to transfer

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how they fit him in the class (blue shirt?) or why he wasn't already snapped  (pun) up, but USC just added a kicker to replace the one who got kicked (another pun) off the team after hitting the Rose Bowl winner.

http://usc.247sports.com/Bolt/USC-adds-2017-five-star-kicker-McGrath--51715064

http://reignoftroy.com/2017/03/10/usc-football-recruiting-kicker-chase-mcgrath-commits-2017/

• 3 weeks later...

the best quarterback in my graduating class was a girl. there wasn't a single guy among the 40-ish dudes in my class who could throw a forward pass worth a pickle. then this junior girl shows up for the junior vs senior girls powderpuff game and she puts on a show. people tried convincing her to show up to camp the following year. she didn't, and we just ran the ball every down my senior year. she shows back to up powderpuff in the spring and lights it up. what could have been...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived