NFL Thread

PAC MAN

i kind of feel like a monster for shitting on such childlike optimism, but it was THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME. last night did not prove that elway was right about the broncos "being better." you played a shitty bears team that's reeling with an injured offensive line and whose starting qb played all of one drive. last year, in a REAL game, seattle forced chicago to punt the football on all 9 offensive possessions they had. beating the bears is not a measuring stick, and beating anyone in the preseason is not a measuring stick. 

i addressed peyton manning in my post. i agree, he was a shell of his former self. that shell was still leaps and bounds better than mark sanchez or trevor siemian can ever hope to be. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to pile on but holy crap Jalapeno.

Shane Ray isn't that much different from Von Miller in the pass rush and Bronco fans are salivating at the thought of a Miller-Ray pass rush duo. 

Shane Ray isn't that much different from Von Miller?  You think Shane Ray is already one of the best pass rushers in the NFL?  Think about what you're saying here.

Elway & Kubiak knows a thing about developing QBs. Broncos could very well have the best starting & backup QB duo in the NFL right now and that wasn't much different from Elway & Kubiak in their playing days. 

Semian has played one game and suddenly he's the best backup QB in the NFL?  Certainly Mark Sanchez isn't a top 20 QB so your logic must be that his backup is so good, it makes them the best duo in the NFL.  Just trying to figure out what you were thinking here is making my head hurt.  You went to a dark and scary place -- don't do that again.

Broncos are still the AFC West's best team based on what I saw last night. Elway said in the Denver Post that he thought the Broncos got better this offseason and last night's game proved it.

10-6 might sound about right but the Broncos are still a Suoer Bowl caliber team.

Based on what you saw last night?  You saw backups playing backups.  How can you extrapolate anything from what you saw last night?  You haven't even seen the other AFC West teams play meaningless preseason games.  What if the Raiders beat the Cardinals 38-0 in a game that won't tell us anything?  Will you still feel the Broncos are the best?  

Full disclaimer: I am a passionate Broncos fan.  That said, I think many of our fans seem to short change the effect Peyton Manning had on last years team, as hobbled as he may have been.  His effect was most evident when he was brought in to replace Brock against the Chargers.  There was not a person in that stadium that didnt feel the shift in energy.  The team, who to that point had been playing sloppy, tightened up and played sharp on both sides of the ball.  While Manning was a liability as a passer, there are very few players in the history of the game who have the type of impact he does on a locker room.  Going from Manning to Sanchez, Siemian or whoever is going to be a massive step down in locker room presence / leadership.  The Broncos are a young team overall, so losing a leader like Manning is concerning.  (Also a reason re-signing D. Ware was so important.)

On the flip side, I think the two departures (Trevathan/Jackson) on defense were way overblown.  The Broncos defense is absolutely stacked.  I can not recall a defense of this caliber with this much depth.  There are a line of teams ready to sign the guys that don't make the Broncos 53 on that side of the ball.  Wade Philips has done a hell of a job with that unit.   

Preseason football is nothing to get excited about.  However, preseason football can provide plenty to be worried about. Example: The Denver QB's played well.  That is not a sign that they are going to do particularly well in the regular season.  Now if they had struggled in this preseason game against a mediocre at best Bears team, there would be plenty to be concerned about.

Also, its probably important to note the impact coaching has on preseason games.  Some coaches treat it like a normal game, and others view it as another practice and nothing more.  John Fox was this way in Denver.  Preseason games didn't hold much more value to him than to get more practice reps in.  Pete Carrol is a coach who treats every game, preseason or otherwise, with the intensity of a coach who wants to absolutely destroy the other team.  I personally prefer the Carrol method.

usually couldn't care less about a preseason final score but kind of a cool ending in KC today: trevone boykin throws a 38 yard jump ball, a seahawk comes down with it and they convert the 2-pt conversion with no time left for the 1-pt win.

my only takeaway from the game is that this looks like the christine michael the team drafted 4 years ago. running very hard, elusive with a surprising amount of power. with rawls just off the pup list and all forty running backs the team drafted all injured, michael has been the guy in camp and he's been getting rave reviews. i guess getting cut by dallas will give anybody a come-to-jesus moment.

titans left their starters in longer than san diego did, so it's tough to really gauge what happened. i HOPE murray and henry can provide consistency in the run game though, that'd be so huge. bishop sankey just won't cut it.

henry rushed for about half his yards after contact. i know he was basically playing scrubs, so no projection intended, but it was refreshing to see a former all-world alabama back embrace the power aspect of his game instead of pussy footing around and trying to break everything outside.

Full disclaimer: I am a passionate Broncos fan.  That said, I think many of our fans seem to short change the effect Peyton Manning had on last years team, as hobbled as he may have been.  His effect was most evident when he was brought in to replace Brock against the Chargers.  There was not a person in that stadium that didnt feel the shift in energy.  The team, who to that point had been playing sloppy, tightened up and played sharp on both sides of the ball.  While Manning was a liability as a passer, there are very few players in the history of the game who have the type of impact he does on a locker room.  Going from Manning to Sanchez, Siemian or whoever is going to be a massive step down in locker room presence / leadership.  The Broncos are a young team overall, so losing a leader like Manning is concerning.  (Also a reason re-signing D. Ware was so important.)

On the flip side, I think the two departures (Trevathan/Jackson) on defense were way overblown.  The Broncos defense is absolutely stacked.  I can not recall a defense of this caliber with this much depth.  There are a line of teams ready to sign the guys that don't make the Broncos 53 on that side of the ball.  Wade Philips has done a hell of a job with that unit.   

Preseason football is nothing to get excited about.  However, preseason football can provide plenty to be worried about. Example: The Denver QB's played well.  That is not a sign that they are going to do particularly well in the regular season.  Now if they had struggled in this preseason game against a mediocre at best Bears team, there would be plenty to be concerned about.

I'm a passionate Broncos fan too and yes there has been articles in the DP that mentioned the leadership void left by Manning.  Ware is working with Von Miller on the leadership thing.  Trevathan didn't do jack against his old team and I never thought the loss of him would be that great.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much more depth we have on the DL.  Jackson could have stayed but the opportunity to make a boatload of $ couldn't be passed up.

Plus we have the best NFL DC in Wade Phillips.  Can't go wrong with that.

Also, its probably important to note the impact coaching has on preseason games.  Some coaches treat it like a normal game, and others view it as another practice and nothing more.  John Fox was this way in Denver.  Preseason games didn't hold much more value to him than to get more practice reps in.  Pete Carrol is a coach who treats every game, preseason or otherwise, with the intensity of a coach who wants to absolutely destroy the other team.  I personally prefer the Carrol method.

I prefer the Carrol method too...he's the one who beat Fox in the Super Bowl.  Eventually Fox was fired.

Not to pile on but holy crap Jalapeno.

Shane Ray isn't that much different from Von Miller?  You think Shane Ray is already one of the best pass rushers in the NFL?  Think about what you're saying here.

Semian has played one game and suddenly he's the best backup QB in the NFL?  Certainly Mark Sanchez isn't a top 20 QB so your logic must be that his backup is so good, it makes them the best duo in the NFL.  Just trying to figure out what you were thinking here is making my head hurt.  You went to a dark and scary place -- don't do that again.

Based on what you saw last night?  You saw backups playing backups.  How can you extrapolate anything from what you saw last night?  You haven't even seen the other AFC West teams play meaningless preseason games.  What if the Raiders beat the Cardinals 38-0 in a game that won't tell us anything?  Will you still feel the Broncos are the best?  

Ray has the potential to be just as good as Von Miller.  Would love to have both of them line up at opposing OLB spots and rush the QB at the same time.

I feel comfortable with Siemian being as the backup QB.  Sanchez would make for a good backup QB as well if his head is in the right place.  Not all NFL teams have that kind of luxury.  The Broncos have decent pass catching TEs plus Sanders & Thomas at WR so the new QB's job wouldn't be that difficult.  The OL coming together will be the key.

The Broncos are still the best team in the AFC West due to the depth of the defense which is something that the Broncos have done a solid job through the draft.  I loved what I saw and I am well aware that the third preseason game is the one that gives you a preview of the regular season.  We'll see how they do against the Rams at home (they have the 49ers in town for shared practices...will the 49ers offensive players be gasping for air this week?)

While I would normally agree, one of their RB lead the NFL in rushing just two years ago, and the other was a beast at Alabama. So saying they could be lethal, isn't that big of a stretch.

Sure, but your comment was in reference to what you saw in a preaseason game, was it not?  

I don't think we have any idea whether San Diego's defense is going to suck just because they got gashed by those two guys in a preseason game. 

Archived