Pac 12 Pitcher of the Year Heimlich Is a Felon Registered Sex Offender

PapaG

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

without getting into heimlich or oregon state, i found this fascinating/heartbreaking from the original oregonian piece:

The victim's mother said she does not keep tabs on Heimlich but knows he's one of the top players in the United States. She said her daughter was young enough that "she doesn't really remember everything that happened," but nonetheless has been ostracized from family events because most members of the Heimlich family have sided with Luke.

"He got two years of counseling and classes," she said. "My daughter's life has been changed for the rest of her life."

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/06/luke_heimlich_sex_crime_surfac.html#incart_m-rpt-2

why does a family have to "side" with one member over another??

1 hour ago, glduck said:

without getting into heimlich or oregon state, i found this fascinating/heartbreaking from the original oregonian piece:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/06/luke_heimlich_sex_crime_surfac.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Admittedly haven't read full article (there's enough unavoidable depressing stuff in the world today) but my guess is that there's likely some sort of "no contact" in place. In relation to family events, when the family puts the invites out, sounds like Luke gets them and the victim doesn't. Even if there isn't a no contact in place, guessing victim/mom want to stay away from him.

1 hour ago, glduck said:

That was by far the most disturbing piece of the story for me, too.  And it feeds into my belief that this family is straight-up weird.  Eight kids, all of them home-schooled?  Sorry, but that's a weird fucking family.  And that they would ostracize a child who is a victim of this confirms it.  I think Luke may well have simply learned how to be a weird fucking creep from his family.

At least, unlike the Duggar family, the Heimlich family bothered to involve law enforcement.

19 minutes ago, trickydlck said:

Admittedly haven't read full article (there's enough unavoidable depressing stuff in the world today) but my guess is that there's likely some sort of "no contact" in place. In relation to family events, when the family puts the invites out, sounds like Luke gets them and the victim doesn't. Even if there isn't a no contact in place, guessing victim/mom want to stay away from him.

Good point.

Still, the non-Luke members of the family deserve to be shamed if they're not reaching out to her.

21 hours ago, PapaG said:

Yuck. Not  a word from Casey about the victim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/heimlich-in-uniform-oregon-st-wins-super-regional-opener/2017/06/10/ce4cd1ce-4d95-11e7-987c-42ab5745db2e_story.html?utm_term=.5d9d800b05b0

“He’s a team guy and in his statement he said that he didn’t want to be a distraction,” Casey said. “I can just tell you that he is a fine young man and every second that he’s been on this campus, on and off the field, he’s been a first-class individual, one that his family should be proud of, your community should be proud of, our team is proud of. I believe in Luke.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/kerryeggers/status/873341970248196096

He doesn't know the victim, he isn't familiar with the incident, he wasn't aware of it when he recruited/signed Luke, and he didn't know about any of this until we all did.  Why should he suddenly pander to the victim?  He speaks of what he knows, and that's Luke.  Plain and simple.

Did he deserve it? Eh, I dunno, but the victim can never had what was done to her, undone, so if being constantly reminded n the media is the biggest punishment he'll face, he should consider himself lucky. He's been given a gift of baseball to pay for college, so he either needs to live with the scrutiny or live in relative obscurity and pay for school. Sometimes consequences of actions have long reaching arms.

2 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Oregon State fans showed what they are all about when they gave Heimlich an ovation Friday night.  

Tribalism rules.

Fans can suck, true.  Sort of like when Duck fans threatened Kevin Love's family with death threats after he committed the unforgivable sin of picking a college other than Oregon.

Just now, MrBug708 said:

Crazy that Oregon State would give him a platform where they'd give him an acknowledgement for his sexual offense. Seems strange

The university fucked this up royally, at the expense of the victim, the fans, and even Luke.  He never should've been in a position to decide whether he would bring an entire program into ill repute.  He made the right call, though.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

The university fucked this up royally, at the expense of the victim, the fans, and even Luke.  He never should've been in a position to decide whether he would bring an entire program into ill repute.  He made the right call, though.

I was mostly being facetious 

4 hours ago, PapaG said:

Oregon State fans showed what they are all about when they gave Heimlich an ovation Friday night.  

Tribalism rules.

The rest of the team showed what they're about when they won without Heimlich. That's sort of a dent in your narrative. Would've reeeeally helped you out if he had stepped down and they lost, wouldn't it have?

Pat Casey allowed this situation, and still won't comment on it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/06/clackamas_county_district_atto.html

The Luke Heimlich sex-offender scandal has caused a lot of spirited debate in the last few days. We were engaged in another round of divided discussion late in Tuesday's radio show (12-3p on 102.9-FM and 750-AM) when the District Attorney of Clackamas County, John Foote, called into the radio show.

As a 15-year-old, Heimlich pleaded guilty to sexually molesting a 6-year-old female family member. Heimlich, now 21, registered as a sex offender in Benton County after arriving at Oregon State. Last week, after his crime became public knowledge through a story in The Oregonian/OregonLive, Heimlich decided not to pitch in the team's Super Regional appearance. The Beavers are now Omaha-bound and it's not known if he'll pitch again this season.

Foote offered some context to the debate.

"I've been listening and wanted to offer a couple of thoughts... first of all I'm a big sports fan, I'm a big admirer of the coach at Oregon State and the kind of program he builds and what I glean that he represents," Foote said on the air Tuesday. "And I, like everyone else, have been trying to absorb this thing."

Foote was listening to callers when he decided to call into the radio show.

"We'd take into consideration this young person's age -- this pitcher's age, he was 15 when it started -- but he would go to prison in Oregon. He'd go to the juvenile correctional facility. It's a Measure 11 crime, it carries a mandatory minimum sentence. If he had been sentenced when he was 15 in Oregon, he would still be in prison finishing his sentence. That's how significant it is.

"This is not some little thing. It's easy to diminish this, but our laws and our voters view this as a very serious crime. I don't mean this as any malice toward this young person. That's not what this is about... society views these crimes, especially over an extended period against such a young person, a vulnerable person, as serious. I hope people will talk about this first, especially before baseball."

11 hours ago, PapaG said:

Pat Casey allowed this situation, and still won't comment on it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/06/clackamas_county_district_atto.html

The Luke Heimlich sex-offender scandal has caused a lot of spirited debate in the last few days. We were engaged in another round of divided discussion late in Tuesday's radio show (12-3p on 102.9-FM and 750-AM) when the District Attorney of Clackamas County, John Foote, called into the radio show.

As a 15-year-old, Heimlich pleaded guilty to sexually molesting a 6-year-old female family member. Heimlich, now 21, registered as a sex offender in Benton County after arriving at Oregon State. Last week, after his crime became public knowledge through a story in The Oregonian/OregonLive, Heimlich decided not to pitch in the team's Super Regional appearance. The Beavers are now Omaha-bound and it's not known if he'll pitch again this season.

Foote offered some context to the debate.

"I've been listening and wanted to offer a couple of thoughts... first of all I'm a big sports fan, I'm a big admirer of the coach at Oregon State and the kind of program he builds and what I glean that he represents," Foote said on the air Tuesday. "And I, like everyone else, have been trying to absorb this thing."

Foote was listening to callers when he decided to call into the radio show.

"We'd take into consideration this young person's age -- this pitcher's age, he was 15 when it started -- but he would go to prison in Oregon. He'd go to the juvenile correctional facility. It's a Measure 11 crime, it carries a mandatory minimum sentence. If he had been sentenced when he was 15 in Oregon, he would still be in prison finishing his sentence. That's how significant it is.

"This is not some little thing. It's easy to diminish this, but our laws and our voters view this as a very serious crime. I don't mean this as any malice toward this young person. That's not what this is about... society views these crimes, especially over an extended period against such a young person, a vulnerable person, as serious. I hope people will talk about this first, especially before baseball."

Pat Casey was totally unaware of the circumstances when he recruited Luke, and found out about them when we all did.

Measure 11 is a fucking disgrace, and was implemented through the use of fear-based manipulation by a reactionary asshole, Kevin Mannix.  Whether or not that particular legislation would have a different effect on a different state is not a valuable descriptor of the seriousness of the act.  No one's saying sexual molestation is not a serious thing.

Again, fuck off with all of this. You're just a bitter Duck fan trying to score points against beaver fans with this event.  How much of a sick fuck do you gotta be to exploit the victim in such a way?  You're the absolute WORST representation of sports fans in America.

Archived