Weed Thread

Orange

31 minutes ago, row Z said:

Yeah, probably some shitty science ... but still more than an anecdote is my only point.  

Me and all my pothead friends will gather together and tally our marijuana usage per-non-vomiting session and it will have damned-near equal value to this "study."  They're in a hospital with sick people, and a good portion of them claim to get sick from pot?  What else do they do?  Ride in a car?  Use a phone?  That the doctor would make the preposterous leap that "a couple million" people are afflicted is nothing short of irresponsible.

Marijuana can definitely cause paranoia, anxiety, and temporary panic.  Perhaps there is a link to some nausea, perhaps even vomiting.  We know FOR DAMNED sure that alcohol usage causes cirrhosis of the liver, violent behavior, toxicity and sudden death on a regular basis (and that's WITHOUT taking into account DUIs).  We also have far more evidence of marijuana or CBD's medical uses than we have for this "vomiting" story, and meanwhile alcohol has no medically accepted usage as far as ingestion is concerned (unless it's 1870 and you have a colicky baby and no medical knowledge).  

Meanwhile, one is a schedule 1 controlled substance, the other is advertised on television with cartoon characters that appeal to children.  Please, tell me what sense this makes.  

We all know why marijuana is illegal, and it dates back to the 1920s: Good old fashioned racism.  What a shock Don agrees with its prohibition.  If it's all white, it's all right.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Orange said:

Me and all my pothead friends will gather together and tally our marijuana usage per-non-vomiting session and it will have damned-near equal value to this "study."  They're in a hospital with sick people, and a good portion of them claim to get sick from pot?  What else do they do?  Ride in a car?  Use a phone?  That the doctor would make the preposterous leap that "a couple million" people are afflicted is nothing short of irresponsible.

Marijuana can definitely cause paranoia, anxiety, and temporary panic.  Perhaps there is a link to some nausea, perhaps even vomiting.  We know FOR DAMNED sure that alcohol usage causes cirrhosis of the liver, violent behavior, toxicity and sudden death on a regular basis (and that's WITHOUT taking into account DUIs).  We also have far more evidence of marijuana or CBD's medical uses than we have for this "vomiting" story, and meanwhile alcohol has no medically accepted usage as far as ingestion is concerned (unless it's 1870 and you have a colicky baby and no medical knowledge).  

Meanwhile, one is a schedule 1 controlled substance, the other is advertised on television with cartoon characters that appeal to children.  Please, tell me what sense this makes.  

We all know why marijuana is illegal, and it dates back to the 1920s: Good old fashioned racism.  What a shock Don agrees with its prohibition.  If it's all white, it's all right.

Hey, Orange, I am on your side. I believe in the medical uses, and overall relaxation benefits. I've personally put them to good use over the years. This story does not change that for me.

I initially thought this story was bs, but like i said, I got a first hand account from my ER doc friend and her sister who is also a doc, and they have both seen this vomiting syndrome at the hospital on numerous occasions and it is on the rise. So, you know, there might be something to it.   

14 hours ago, row Z said:

Hey, Orange, I am on your side. I believe in the medical uses, and overall relaxation benefits. I've personally put them to good use over the years. This story does not change that for me.

I initially thought this story was bs, but like i said, I got a first hand account from my ER doc friend and her sister who is also a doc, and they have both seen this vomiting syndrome at the hospital on numerous occasions and it is on the rise. So, you know, there might be something to it.   

Even if there's something to it, so what?   Avoid cannabis if it makes you barf.  It's never killed a human being in its history, but somehow  we're still having, in 2018, this debate over its danger.  It's absurd.  Toddlers and chihuhuas have gotten into edibles and other cannabis products AND NONE HAVE DIED.  It might be the safest substance on earth that's still illegal somewhere.

6 hours ago, Orange said:

Even if there's something to it, so what?   Avoid cannabis if it makes you barf.  It's never killed a human being in its history, but somehow  we're still having, in 2018, this debate over its danger.  It's absurd.  Toddlers and chihuhuas have gotten into edibles and other cannabis products AND NONE HAVE DIED.  It might be the safest substance on earth that's still illegal somewhere.

Well, I don't really see a debate here either, actually. There is little doubt in my mind that marijuana is safer than alcohol in most contexts. Anyone that can't see that is not informed.

Still, we all need to be cognizant of new data on marijuana risks. It has not been studied as long as alcohol, we don't know the long term risks very well, we don't know the risks with youth, and new info will be generated. That info should be taken seriously when it does arise and is credible. You can be on the side of legalization and still treat new data about risks seriously.

Absolutely. The issue isn't whether or not marijuana has some harmful side effects. The issue is simply that the inclusion of marijuana as a schedule 1 drug is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably less harmful than bacon. Don likes to run by and kick sand at that premise with trivialities that he then refuses to defend. I think he's just trying to piss off Orange.

2 hours ago, row Z said:

Well, I don't really see a debate here either, actually. There is little doubt in my mind that marijuana is safer than alcohol in most contexts. Anyone that can't see that is not informed.

Still, we all need to be cognizant of new data on marijuana risks. It has not been studied as long as alcohol, we don't know the long term risks very well, we don't know the risks with youth, and new info will be generated. That info should be taken seriously when it does arise and is credible. You can be on the side of legalization and still treat new data about risks seriously.

There are actually reams of data.  The federal government has been growing marijuana in Mississippi forever.  The federal government knew, and continues to know, it is not a harmful substance.  People have been using marijuana for eons.  I agree more data and research is needed, but primarily to button down its medical applications, not necessarily its risks.  Too much of anything, naturally, isn't good.  I don't believe children should use marijuana, but I believe children with seizure disorders (I have a seizure disorder and and my child could potentially inherit it) being treated with CBD is a great idea that deserves more research, not prohibition.  The problem is the media brings this up and focuses on teenagers in hoodies in parking lots smoking the shit while it glorifies alcohol use (a proven killer with long-term negative side-effects that are well known and ignored by alcohol lobbies) in commercials on TV.  That drags in low-information voters like Dawn.

1 hour ago, Quack 12 said:

Absolutely. The issue isn't whether or not marijuana has some harmful side effects. The issue is simply that the inclusion of marijuana as a schedule 1 drug is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably less harmful than bacon. Don likes to run by and kick sand at that premise with trivialities that he then refuses to defend. I think he's just trying to piss off Orange.

I'm not afraid to say it's working.  Don's a piece of shit.  His values he holds dear are untouchable (see: Abortion, any remark ever made in the past quarter-century about potential life insurance proceeds he made off his dead wife :blink:), but when someone brings up an issue with actual civil rights implications, like this one, he laughs and points like a fucking child.  This is why this country is virtually unsalvageable.  And I'm doing my best to withhold a baby boomer remark here.  You're one of the good ones, I'll say that.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

I'm not afraid to say it's working.  Don's a piece of shit.  His values he holds dear are untouchable (see: Abortion, any remark ever made in the past quarter-century about potential life insurance proceeds he made off his dead wife :blink:), but when someone brings up an issue with actual civil rights implications, like this one, he laughs and points like a fucking child.  This is why this country is virtually unsalvageable.  And I'm doing my best to withhold a baby boomer remark here.  You're one of the good ones, I'll say that.

200w.gif

How do you keep a pot head busy?

• 2 weeks later...

McConnell wants to decriminalize hemp (which should never, ever have been criminalized in the first place, but we're seeing a trend of stupid government here, so....)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/2018/04/26/mitch-mcconnell-steps-up-hemp-legalization-push-with-legislative-move/#4b29d50d5a01

This is due in no small part to Kentucky growing hemp for eons.

Archived