The Going Early/Pro thread

MrBug708

15 hours ago, Mano said:

Just yesterday, USC honk Colin Cowherd was claiming he had two sources saying Darnold was likely staying at USC.

He's smart to leave.  He's obviously not being coached up at USC, and another year of bad mechanics, along with bad habits in decision-making, wouldn't help much at all.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, glduck said:

gotta be rosen. wherever darnold goes he needs to sit, and that’s not likely to happen.

If his workouts are as good as his bowl game, Cleveland takes Josh Allen.  That's my second Hot Take of 2018.

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Never gonna happen.

A Carson Wentz clone?  Coached by Wentz's college coach?  I wouldn't rule it out...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/buffalo-bills-playoffs-black-monday-jon-gruden-mmqb-peter-king

UH, I AM ABOUT TO GET CLEVELAND UP IN ARMS …

So in my rounds on the phone over the weekend, I heard this from a veteran college scout, a man who was one of the first to trumpet Carson Wentz as a high first-rounder during his final season at North Dakota State, on the fate of the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, and on what Cleveland GM John Dorsey might do: “I believe there is no way Cleveland, at number one, will pass on [Wyoming quarterback] Josh Allen. This is Wentz reincarnated. Allen’s a perfect Dorsey quarterback. Just watch.”

Josh Allen, he of the very shaky junior season at Wyoming, the first overall pick four months from now. Hey, I’m just the messenger.

I don't know, Allen could be a surprise.  The three TD passes he had in his bowl game are all NFL throws.  The seam pattern for the first one, the camera can barely keep up with the velocity of the ball.  The second one is a classic Wentz scramble then bullet throw on the run, and the third, he flicks his wrist and throws the ball almost 60 yards in the air with loft.

even keeping in mind that it's cleveland, and they're cleveland for a reason, i don't think even they can justify josh allen #1. wentz had questions because he played FCS, but he dominated FCS. allen is downright bad against any team with a pulse on defense. 

allen isn't even the best "well he looks the part but struggles against better competition" guy, that'd be sam darnold. 

12 minutes ago, glduck said:

even keeping in mind that it's cleveland, and they're cleveland for a reason, i don't think even they can justify josh allen #1. wentz had questions because he played FCS, but he dominated FCS. allen is downright bad against any team with a pulse on defense. 

allen isn't even the best "well he looks the part but struggles against better competition" guy, that'd be sam darnold. 

I see bust written all over Darnold.  He did struggle against better competition, but from a talent level, USC is much closer to those "better" teams than Wyoming is to Iowa, Oregon, or even Boise State.  

Rosen and Allen will be more successful, IMO, but for different reasons.  Rosen knows the position and (gasp!) reminds me of Brady a bit in his approach to the game and his accuracy.  Allen did have a much better sophomore season, but come on, he plays at Wyoming, who of course is going to struggle against most P5 teams, especially after losing most of his o-line and top WRs from the season prior.  I'm not pushing Allen but wow, that arm is something we haven't seen since maybe Matthew Stafford coming out of college.  I'm very intrigued to see what he can do with a little bit of time and a few WRs that are NFL level.

Given the difference in competition, and how NDSU was the Alabama of FCS, their stats aren't TOO different.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/carson-wentz-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

On 1/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, glduck said:

I have confidence that Cleveland will pick the quarterback that turns out to be the biggest bust. 

On 1/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, glduck said:

they have the #1 and the #4, so i'm looking forward to them putting together a first round even worse than their trent richardson/johnny manziel picks a few years ago.

A lot of draft busts are kind of difficult to predict (Greg Oden, Matt Leinart, Joey Harrington), but I didn't know a single intelligent person who wasn't positive that Manziel was a clown who would never amount to anything.  Conversely, I think most knew Mariota would succeed.  Mariota and Manziel have had the most predictable NFL careers in recent memory.

CB Quenton Meeks declared as well. Stanford's defense getting hit hard by early declarations this year (despite underperforming on the field). The Harrison Phillips decision I get. Even the Justin Reid decision I'm at peace with (although I still think another year could have boosted his stock). But Meeks jumping early just seems like the kind of move that rooted more in hype than reality. Meeks came into the season a rising up-and-comer at corner with star potential. But he wholeheartedly failed to live up to that moniker over the course of the season and was repeatedly burned by faster receivers. Meeks was absolutely somebody that should have returned for one more season to avenge this season's shortcomings but instead he chose to buy into the hype that probably got into his head over the offseason. Wish the young man well in all of his future endeavors but I have a hard time seeing him get drafted before the 5th round (especially if they flip on the Wazzu tape)

Archived