Breaking News Thread

glduck

On 10/4/2023 at 8:16 AM, Orange said:

How long before "moderate" GOPers go begging for dem votes?  I think even the ones in Biden districts still will rather burn the government down than be remotely bipartisan.

I think the bigger question will be will the Democratic party in any sizable scale agree to vote a moderate republican (see Liz Cheney) in as speaker in order to prevent that spineless bootlicker Jim Jordan from being 2 steps away from the Presidency.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, clpp01 said:

I think the bigger question will be will the Democratic party in any sizable scale agree to vote a moderate republican (see Liz Cheney) in as speaker in order to prevent that spineless bootlicker Jim Jordan from being 2 steps away from the Presidency.

Any 5 republicans who vote for Liz would, I sincerely believe, have to fear kidnapping or assassination by the MAGA nut job militia. 

I am imagining that I am a Republican congressman from Eastern Washington. I’m also imagining that the Democrats own a majority in the House of Representatives. Finally, I’m imagining that the Democrats are voting to oust Pelosi as Speaker in favor of AOC.  What do I do.  I “hate” Pelosi but genuinely fear AOC as destructive to democracy.  What do I do?  I’d hold my breath and vote for Pelosi.

It’s hard for me to understand why Democrats didn’t vote to retain McCarthy as speaker.  He had just entered into a compromise which allowed the govt to continue to be funded without any other demands.  No cuts in spending, no tax cuts, no border walls, no halt of aid to Ukraine, no immigration reforms.  What’s to follow is going to be chaotic and more ideological battles.

I understand hating McCarthy, I don’t understand letting that hate turn into Jim Jordan or someone like him be speaker.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, KUGRDON said:

I am imagining that I am a Republican congressman from Eastern Washington. I’m also imagining that the Democrats own a majority in the House of Representatives. Finally, I’m imagining that the Democrats are voting to oust Pelosi as Speaker in favor of AOC.  What do I do.  I “hate” Pelosi but genuinely fear AOC as destructive to democracy.  What do I do?  I’d hold my breath and vote for Pelosi.

It’s hard for me to understand why Democrats didn’t vote to retain McCarthy as speaker.  He had just entered into a compromise which allowed the govt to continue to be funded without any other demands.  No cuts in spending, no tax cuts, no border walls, no halt of aid to Ukraine, no immigration reforms.  What’s to follow is going to be chaotic and more ideological battles.

I understand hating McCarthy, I don’t understand letting that hate turn into Jim Jordan or someone like him be speaker.

Blaming Democrats for insanity in the party you support, pretty much a summary of everything you have ever posted about politics.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 2:19 PM, KUGRDON said:

I’m only blaming the Democrats for their insanity just as I blame Republicans for their’s.

If you weren't a total hypocrite, you would have made the same "hold your nose and vote against the crazy person" against Trump both times, but instead supported your boy .

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, KUGRDON said:

First, it’s not the Democrats job to clean up the Republican’s mess. The Republican House is plagued by chaos and bad governance. This is a consequence of catering to the absolute worst of this country in order to get elected.

Second, this wasn’t a devil-you-know situation. McCarthy just launched a farcical impeachment inquiry! And you’re trying to warn us that things may start going further right? We’re already there, and we have been since McCarthy needed 15 rounds of voting to placate the very people you’re propping up as bogeymen. Gym Jordan will do the exact same things, only Democrats won’t have just thanked him for a job well done by saving his Speakership.

• Thanks 1

you can blame Democrats (and Republicans) for the consequences of their own votes.  Democrats and Republicans voted to make themselves feel good without regard for the chaos that resulted.  “The enemy of my enemy is my friend” is no way to govern.  Extremist Republicans know that Democrats will join them in removing any Speaker who compromises with Democrats.  \_(ツ)_/¯ 

“McCarthy opens impeachment inquiry into Joe Biden. Democrats vote to save McCarthy. Are the Democrats open to impeaching Joe Biden?”

That’s the consequence of voting the other way. I really think you’re overestimating the degrees of extremism within GOP leadership. McCarthy isn’t so far apart from Jordan that voting to save McCarthy would have been a good political move. As I said, the inmates have run the asylum since the 15th round of voting.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, KUGRDON said:

Biden just gave Iran $6 billion as ransom to free 5 American citizens.  A few months earlier, Biden exchanged a stupid pothead WNBA player for the merchant of death. Is anybody surprised that Hamas took dozens if not hundreds israelis hostage?

You're an idiot.

• Thanks 2

On 10/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, KUGRDON said:

Biden just gave Iran $6 billion as ransom to free 5 American citizens.  A few months earlier, Biden exchanged a stupid pothead WNBA player for the merchant of death. Is anybody surprised that Hamas took dozens if not hundreds israelis hostage?

You’re so fucking infuriatingly stupid.  How the fuck are you even an adult, much less a man of 70 who allegedly passed the CA bar?   The $6B was Iran’s money, not a penny of it has been spent, and not a shred of physical evidence ties Iran to the Hamas attack from last weekend.  You’re just fucking stupid, stupid, stupid.  

Or, more charitably, you’re a lying asshole.  

On 10/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, KUGRDON said:

How is AOC a threat to democracy?   Or is this just another in-your-head equivalency that you’re forced to make, because such equivalencies don’t exist in the real world?

And by the way, to add on to what others have already explained to you, McCarthy explicitly told the democrats he wouldn’t give them a damned thing in terms of shared power.  So of course they let the GOP expose itself for the dysfunctional grouping of 12-year-olds it is.