Random

KUGRDON

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, Orange said:

Aortic valve, yes.  I had it replaced twice with open-heart surgery (1997 and 2011), and they (along with my own flagging mile times) are telling me it's breaking down again.

Too many open-heart surgeries increase the risk for the next one.  (The reason I've had more than one is I refuse to do a mechanical valve and take blood-thinners, and have some fat, white-coat tell me I shouldn't be mountain biking, snowboarding, or any of the other crazy shit I do that makes life worth living).  Now I'm looking into percutaneous options that deliver a bovine valve through my femoral artery to the heart.  CT scan, angiogram, and ultra sound have all still left my doc scratching his head.  I'm about to move out of this backwater to a place where cardiologists and heart surgeons have some answers.  San Fran may be the next stop.

I know you will not like this but I will put you in my prayers. Good Luck.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 2:32 PM, Orange said:

Aortic valve, yes.  I had it replaced twice with open-heart surgery (1997 and 2011), and they (along with my own flagging mile times) are telling me it's breaking down again.

Too many open-heart surgeries increase the risk for the next one.  (The reason I've had more than one is I refuse to do a mechanical valve and take blood-thinners, and have some fat, white-coat tell me I shouldn't be mountain biking, snowboarding, or any of the other crazy shit I do that makes life worth living).  Now I'm looking into percutaneous options that deliver a bovine valve through my femoral artery to the heart.  CT scan, angiogram, and ultra sound have all still left my doc scratching his head.  I'm about to move out of this backwater to a place where cardiologists and heart surgeons have some answers.  San Fran may be the next stop.

I thought valve's lasted a little longer than that. That sucks. Quality of life is important, don't let the white coats push you around.

By San Fran are you considering Stanford? Teaching hospitals tend to be more cutting edge.

12 hours ago, mysfit said:

I thought valve's lasted a little longer than that. That sucks. Quality of life is important, don't let the white coats push you around.

By San Fran are you considering Stanford? Teaching hospitals tend to be more cutting edge.

Apparently Stanford doesn't have what I need for this one.  I did get my surgery done there in 97, however.

Flying home after open-heart surgery is not fun, BTW.

12 hours ago, mysfit said:

The 2 main hospitals here both do TAVR and I know St Al's has the Da Vinci robot for surgery.

https://www.saintalphonsus.org/provider/ben-taylor

There was also a PA-C listed who does a lot of valve work.

https://www.saintalphonsus.org/specialty/heart-and-vascular/services/treatments-options/heart-surgery

There's a TAVR expert here in Bend, but apparently if you replace my particular valve, the leaflets would then cover up the coronary artery.  There is some procedure where they get rid of the old aortic valve leaflets to avoid this, and I guess that expert is in SF?  I think.  The doctor made the totally ingenious decision to discuss this with me about 1 hour after I had been sedated with fentanyl.

7 hours ago, Orange said:

There's a TAVR expert here in Bend, but apparently if you replace my particular valve, the leaflets would then cover up the coronary artery.  There is some procedure where they get rid of the old aortic valve leaflets to avoid this, and I guess that expert is in SF?  I think.  The doctor made the totally ingenious decision to discuss this with me about 1 hour after I had been sedated with fentanyl.

Waiting until you're doped to the gills before having a discussion doesn't seem to demonstrate much situational awareness. It sounds like you are on top of this. I'm surprised you were allowed to fly soon after that surgery.

I have no problem researching my own medical issues, changing referrals and even watching videos of procedures beforehand.

I remember being wheeled in for my back, feeling no pain because they start the good stuff as they wheel you down the hall. We got into the surgical suite and I saw xrays on the big screen. Cool! Pictures! 

No, these aren't yours, as they hurriedly changed them.

Well stick mine up there, I wanna see them. 

And that's all I remember til recovery.  I can just imagine my surgeon giving the anesthetist  "the look" of put her out NOW.

It's my body, my life and I'm a control freak.

15 hours ago, mysfit said:

Waiting until you're doped to the gills before having a discussion doesn't seem to demonstrate much situational awareness. It sounds like you are on top of this. I'm surprised you were allowed to fly soon after that surgery.

I have no problem researching my own medical issues, changing referrals and even watching videos of procedures beforehand.

I remember being wheeled in for my back, feeling no pain because they start the good stuff as they wheel you down the hall. We got into the surgical suite and I saw xrays on the big screen. Cool! Pictures! 

No, these aren't yours, as they hurriedly changed them.

Well stick mine up there, I wanna see them. 

And that's all I remember til recovery.  I can just imagine my surgeon giving the anesthetist  "the look" of put her out NOW.

It's my body, my life and I'm a control freak.

Immediately before my first open-heart surgery I had them busting up in the operating room.  I can't remember my lie-down routine (instead of stand-up?  Get it?), but it started with something along the lines of "wow, y'all got lots of microwave ovens and big screens in here."  I still vividly remember the mask being put over my face after that joke and getting punched the fuck out.  Imagine holding that power in your hands.  Anesthesiologists are a breed...

• Haha 1