Utah's DC Morgan Scalley suspended

Scorcho

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

not surprisingly, Scalley is retained at Utah.

Here are the penalties:

Apart from being retained on staff, there are consequences that have been laid out for Scalley, which ultimately aren't very severe. They are listed below...

1) Coach Scalley will engage with leadership of the University’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion team, including Vice President Mary Ann Villarreal. He will participate in regular and on- going diversity and inclusion education, and will be expected to be a key partner in addressing issues of racism and bias in the Utah Athletics Department, the University and the broader community.
2) In December 2019, the University and Coach Scalley verbally agreed to a multi-year extension of his contract, increasing his annual compensation to $1.1 million. Instead, his new contract will revert to his 2018 compensation level in the form of a one-year term for $525,000.
3) In December 2019, Director of Athletics Mark Harlan extended a verbal offer to Coach Scalley to become the Head Coach In-Waiting, which Harlan has now rescinded. 

4 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Will this affect his ability to recruit? Eh. The real punishment is basically no shot at getting a HC spot ever again

I don't know about no shot, memories are short and I have seen coaches that did worse get HC jobs.

Scalley will need to be a model citizen to earn back trust. 

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/Utah-football-Morgan-Scalley-decision-offers-road-to-redemption-growth-opportunity-148739291/

https://espn700sports.com/news/full-audio-utah-dc-morgan-scalleys-emotional-apology-and-qa/

3 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Memories are short, but it's a different world nowadays.

I disagree.. Time, wins, positive change in his attitude will make all this go away. 

There’s far worse morons out there that are retained or get hired as HC’s. Morgan is young, a great recruiter and excellent coach. He’s already turned down HC jobs. 

Utah’s penalties for this were right on the money. Especially the community outreach with said racial issues.  Utah isn’t going to let a guy like this get away. That would be stupid over something like this. And he’ll probably learn some lessons.

He would have plenty of willing teams ready to sign ink if we let him go. 

On 7/1/2020 at 12:24 PM, Scorcho said:

not surprisingly, Scalley is retained at Utah.

Here are the penalties:

Seems stupid, if he engaged in racist practices, fire him; if not, don’t punish him.  This looks like a chickenshit move to me: He engages in racism, but he’s good let’s keep him.  He’s not the designated head coaching in-waiting, But if a few years go by We can always hire him as head coach.

“Be good, or be good at it.” - Lil Wayne.  

This is how shit always works. Nobody keeps the 4th string tight end on the team if he hits his girlfriend. But Adrian Peterson can beat his kids all he wants.   

On 7/2/2020 at 2:15 AM, utenation said:

I disagree.. Time, wins, positive change in his attitude will make all this go away. 

There’s far worse morons out there that are retained or get hired as HC’s. Morgan is young, a great recruiter and excellent coach. He’s already turned down HC jobs. 

Utah’s penalties for this were right on the money. Especially the community outreach with said racial issues.  Utah isn’t going to let a guy like this get away. That would be stupid over something like this. And he’ll probably learn some lessons.

He would have plenty of willing teams ready to sign ink if we let him go. 

Doubt it.  Students would protest/riot.  There would be blockades at every student section at every game on most campuses. Listen, a white guy in a position of power calling black people the N word is.  RACIST.  Period.  You are lionizing a racist.  Congrats.  Utah should have let him go.  But hey, every coach in the country competing with Utah for a recruit will talk to their parents about his clear, blatant, racism.  Time and perfect behavior could lead to opportunities in the future.  You are completely tone def.

Good luck with that

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Doubt it.  Students would protest/riot.  There would be blockades at every student section at every game on most campuses. Listen, a white guy in a position of power calling black people the N word is.  RACIST.  Period.  You are lionizing a racist.  Congrats.  Utah should have let him go.  But hey, every coach in the country competing with Utah for a recruit will talk to their parents about his clear, blatant, racism.  Time and perfect behavior could lead to opportunities in the future.  You are completely tone def.

Good luck with that

clearly, you have such little knowledge of what occurred that it would be a waste of time to argue with you about this. While there are one or two guys that hold a grudge against Scalley. There are 75 guys (mostly black) that consider him family. 

15 minutes ago, Scorcho said:

clearly, you have such little knowledge of what occurred that it would be a waste of time to argue with you about this. While there are one or two guys that hold a grudge against Scalley. There are 75 guys (mostly black) that consider him family. 

Did he or did he not on multiple occasions use the N word to his black players?  That is all anybody needs to know.  No, he would not have plenty of teams wanting to hire him.  Not even close, at least at the FBS level or for a comparable salary even after his penalty reduction.  He would be a toxic hire that would cause campus turmoil and anger donors.  

You guys have a racist coach on staff.  Good look in 2020!

28 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Did he or did he not on multiple occasions use the N word to his black players?  That is all anybody needs to know.  No, he would not have plenty of teams wanting to hire him.  Not even close, at least at the FBS level or for a comparable salary even after his penalty reduction.  He would be a toxic hire that would cause campus turmoil and anger donors.  

You guys have a racist coach on staff.  Good look in 2020!

yes, he admitted 7 years ago to using the N word in a tweet on an occasion. Is Scalley a racist? Truly, only he and God know the answer to that and can judge that. Clearly, we know simply using that word does not make you a racist. Its never that simple.

The more likely scenario, (and what comes from the report if you care to read it) is that back in 2013 Scalley was an up and coming position coach and used that word in a text (meant for other coach(es) on the staff who were black and Poly) to try and identify with/incorporate himself with that culture. It was a grave mistake, especially for someone who grew up in predominately white Utah and was naive to understanding/dealing with different cultures. Does he not deserve a second chance, if it was simply an error of not being woke enough? 

If Scalley is a racist, then it won't take long for him to make a second mistake and you can have your pound of flesh. 

1 hour ago, Scorcho said:

yes, he admitted 7 years ago to using the N word in a tweet on an occasion. Is Scalley a racist? Truly, only he and God know the answer to that and can judge that. Clearly, we know simply using that word does not make you a racist. Its never that simple.

The more likely scenario, (and what comes from the report if you care to read it) is that back in 2013 Scalley was an up and coming position coach and used that word in a text (meant for other coach(es) on the staff who were black and Poly) to try and identify with/incorporate himself with that culture. It was a grave mistake, especially for someone who grew up in predominately white Utah and was naive to understanding/dealing with different cultures. Does he not deserve a second chance, if it was simply an error of not being woke enough? 

If Scalley is a racist, then it won't take long for him to make a second mistake and you can have your pound of flesh. 

Ok, I will admit ignorance.  I was pretty sure his use of the word went beyond a tweet and that he used it face to face with a player.  I am pretty sure that player has spoken about it, and said that the coach gave a half assed apology years later.  Listen, I have no idea if he is actually racist, or just ignorant.  But that is not what this is about.  @utenation said he would have no problem getting another job.  That is insane.  This is 2020.  On every campus in the country the news would be "we just hired a racist coach who was fired for using the N word".  Natty (I know I know only his friends can call him that) is clearly tone def if he thinks this is a nothing burger.  Has he not been paying attention to anything?

9 hours ago, Scorcho said:

We don’t have to decide if he’s racist. If he used the N-word, He should be fired for that alone.  This really isn’t difficult.

8 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

We don’t have to decide if he’s racist. He used the N-word. He should be fired for that alone.  This really isn’t difficult.

sure, and expel every player who uses it as well. 

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Ok, I will admit ignorance.  I was pretty sure his use of the word went beyond a tweet and that he used it face to face with a player.  I am pretty sure that player has spoken about it, and said that the coach gave a half assed apology years later.  Listen, I have no idea if he is actually racist, or just ignorant.  But that is not what this is about.  @utenation said he would have no problem getting another job.  That is insane.  This is 2020.  On every campus in the country the news would be "we just hired a racist coach who was fired for using the N word".  Natty (I know I know only his friends can call him that) is clearly tone def if he thinks this is a nothing burger.  Has he not been paying attention to anything?

https://www.scribd.com/document/467649914/Independent-Scalley-Investigation#from_embed

The above is a link to summary of the report from the independent investigation that was done on Scalley. You can make your own judgement.

We should make a list of the coaches that have made mistakes to whatever extent in their profession either physically, broke or allowed to be broken some rules, verbally abused or had issues off the court/field and been in the public eye, yet retained their job and or had discipline action. . We should make the list non sport specific.  I wonder how long the list would be? To the Boise fan that hasn’t even read the report, I’ll take those comments with a grain of salt.  I maintain, the U’s discipline of Morgan was spot on. I think he will be a better person and coach because of this.  At the end of the day, this is what counts. And yes, Morgan would be hired in a heartbeat on the open market.  If Morgan makes this type of mistake again, he’s toast. People deserve second chances and IMO, people are too hypersensitive with racial issues today.

8 hours ago, Scorcho said:

sure, and expel every player who uses it as well. 

If we rounded up all the athletes, students, coaches, admin and fans that have used some type of racial slur in the last 10 years in just college sports that didn’t get punished or caught, I wonder how big the boat would be to carry all these folks?

Let’s fire every one of these assholes too right @KUGRDON?

Any form of racism is wrong. Always. But this isn’t a myopic solution. 

Archived