Seen any good movies lately?

Orange

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spinning off from daniel day-lewis' latest oscar win, how the hell did he not win in '03 for gangs of new york? i'm watching it now on ifc. terrible, terrible movie in every scene he's not in, but bill the butcher is one of the most brilliant characters ever. adrian body won for the pianist? jesus. 

Totally agree. The movie itself had issues, was disjointed and hard to follow in spots, but Bill the Butcher was an unforgettable character. I think it may have been his best performance ever, and that is saying something. Lewis is the best actor of this generation.

spinning off from daniel day-lewis' latest oscar win, how the hell did he not win in '03 for gangs of new york? i'm watching it now on ifc. terrible, terrible movie in every scene he's not in, but bill the butcher is one of the most brilliant characters ever. adrian body won for the pianist? jesus. 

It's gotta be tough for the academy.  You really could just hand the goddamn statuette to Day-Lewis in every year in which he appears in a film.  Good thing he takes long breaks.

• 7 months later...

i rarely, rarely recommend a movie be seen in 3D, but see gravity in 3D. it was exceptional. 

Agreed. If you have the ability, I recommend IMAX 3D. The few extra dollars per ticket is worth it. Great movie. Not just eye candy. If I didn't know better, I would've thought this was actually filmed in space.

Going to Gravity this weekend.  I've never heard a negative thing about this movie.  On rottentomatoes radio, the broad said it gets 98% positive reviews, and the 2% negative are people with motion sickness.

I'm stoked.

Going to Gravity this weekend.  I've never heard a negative thing about this movie.  On rottentomatoes radio, the broad said it gets 98% positive reviews, and the 2% negative are people with motion sickness.

I'm stoked.

Neil deGrasse Tyson rips on the movie, but in the end says he enjoyed it a lot.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/10/07/neil-degrasse-tyson-gravity/

I get wanting to make a movie as realistic as possible, but at the end of the day...it's a movie. Hate to see this guy's write-up of Transformers.

He publicly mentioned about the starry night sky in Titanic and how the stars were wrong for the North Atlantic Ocean sky. Jim Cameron fixed the scene in a subsequent version of the DVD.

And here he comments on the spin of The Daily Show globe: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Astrophysicist-Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-Gets-Jon-Stewart-to-Fix-the-Daily-Show-Globe-Video-335865.shtml

Videos are at the bottom of the article.

Well shit, I wanted to read them but there are spoilers.

I love Tyson, and it's cool that he weighs in on this.

I don't think he reveals any major plot points, just points out a few spots where it is not consistent with the physics.

I don't think he reveals any major plot points, just points out a few spots where it is not consistent with the physics.

Yeah, I broke down and read all the tweets.  Nothing revealing, and I think his points are interesting.  Actually makes me want to see the film more.

• 1 month later...

saw frozen over thanksgiving break, because i'm an eight year old girl. disney is enjoying a nice little revival of late, their last several animated movies have been quite good. maybe it's just childhood nostalgia talking, but it seemed like they were on fire in the late 80s/early 90s, but then pixar started taking over and everything disney tried to do fell flat by comparison. 

Archived