NFL Thread

PAC MAN

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most versatile offensive linemen in FA has reportedly signed with the Raiders.  Kelechi Osemele can play guard or tackle and graded out very well as both a run blocker and a pass blocker (only 1 sack and 10 hurries.)  The fact that he even considered the Raiders shows a stark contrast between this years FA and last years, in which several players used the Raiders to leverage deals with other teams. It's amazing what a franchise qb can do for your team. 

The Raiders are also reportedly bidding for Doug Martin.  With 60 million to spend, the Raiders will be a factor in many of the high profile free agents this year. 

22 sacks in 4 seasons isn't basically accomplishing nothing.  He had 10 sacks his rookie year, the only season Seattle lined him up in a 4-3 and that's exactly how the Raiders plan to use him.  He clearly left an impression on Ken Norton Jr, as he was with Seattle for 3 of those years and is now with the Raiders.  The Carindals -- who faced him 2x a year -- were also after him.  Irving grades out very well against covering tight ends and the Raiders were just destroyed by tight ends last season.  I'll grant you that the Raiders overpaid but the deal is front-loaded at 12.7 mil for the first season of the 39 mil deal, which means if he doesn't perform, he doesn't hurt the cap that much going forward.  Front-loading deals is great way to take risks and is possible when you enter a season with 60 million to spend. 

kind of a win-win. irvin was good at several things (pass rusher, qb spy, coverage, underrated leadership skills) and i wish him nothing but the best, but the hawks just can't afford to pay their third best LB $10 a year. so, while losing a productive player is never a GOOD thing, getting a 3rd-4th round comp pick out of the deal and spending that money on areas of need will be helpful. we should be able to match okung on anything he receives on the open market, and still bring in a solid veteran addition or two on the line. 

Not only the Broncos lose a sheriff but also his deputy as Osweiller has an agreement with Houston.  Kapernick and RG3 are the names coming up for the Broncos.

EDIT: Mike Klis from the Denver Post said that John Elway refused to pay $18M per season to someone who had only seven NFL career starts.  Peyton Manning earned $19M last season.

Seems like a good pickup for San Diego.  Keenan Allen desperately needed somebody to take the attention off of him and with Benjamin's speed, safeties won't be able to cheat towards Allen anymore.  I'd like the pickup a lot more if I wasn't a Raider fan whose team has a suspect secondary. 

It'll be tough for the Broncos to replace Manning. If history is an indicator, it would probably mean Denver's run in the AFC West is nearing an end. After John Elway retired, Bubby Bristier replaced him and didn't work and was replaced by Brain Griese who didn't work. Then there was Jake Plummer who took the Broncos to the AFC CG and flamed out. Then you got Jay Cutler followed by a vet QB then Tebow before getting to Manning.

Elway and Kubiak are former QBs so they might get the right QB in there right away. Osweiler didn't want to be in Manning's shadow and had more money offered by the Texans so he took the easy way out.

I'm going to downgrade my expectations from Super Bowl champs that least AFC West champs or a playoff bid. If the Pats can stay healthy, I think they are the obvious choice for next season. That also depends on Tom Brady's age not catching up with him.

If the Broncos can land a beast at TE and RB, the Broncos should be okay.

Archived