The Postal Service

Scscsc89

10 hours ago, glduck said:

Between this and your all-over-the-place reply in the 2020 Election thread I can tell that you really want to paint this as a liberal conspiracy, but sometimes the easiest answer is the one right in front of you.

https://apnews.com/14a2ceda724623604cc8d8e5ab9890ed

So now Trump is telling the truth and not just trolling libs.  From what I can see there is absolutely no indication that the post office needs additional funds to handle the ballots.  Trumps sociopathy aside, what I see is the postal workers union, which has endorsed Biden, taking advantage of the situation to improve their earnings and benefits and reverse cost cutting measures that reduced overtime.  I also see Nate Silver’s analysis indicating the equipment removals don’t appear to have been done in a way that would render any partisan advantage.

Finally, I will say that if Trump was trying to affect the outcome of the election by denying funds to the US PS the evidence is that he is such an idiot that he does not know how to do that.  Assertions to the contrary reflect a QAnon level paranoia on the left.

For those really concerned with the use of government power to undermine our democracy I point out the actions of city and county officials in negotiating contracts with police unions which Have overpaid cops and protectEd racist cops from appropriate discipline and terminations for decades.  This is a far greater threat to our democracy than anything Trump has done.

I didn’t and won’t support Trump but hope For rationality I’m on those who replace him.  I know that that won’t be the case, and that things will roll along as they have before Trump was elected. He is a symptom, not the disease.

The Nate Silver tweet you shared was a response to a specific tweet that grouped removals by state, so that’s what Silver explored. But that’s not seeing the forest for the trees. It ignores the crux of the problem — it was happening in large population centers.

Just for funsies: 

— Trump illegally invites foreign interference (Republican confirmed!) in an election;

— that OTHER time Trump illegally invited foreign interference (and got impeached!) in an election;

— Trump appoints a stooge who openly talks of dismantling the USPS as the de facto head of the USPS;

— the hindering of USPS operations, leading to mass delays in service;

— Trump railing against vote-by-mail;

— Trump admitting to acting against USPS interests for the specific reason of hindering universal vote-by-mail;

— Trump has expressed publicly that he would prefer a low voter turnout because it would help Republicans;

and liberals think, “he wants to make it more difficult to vote.”

To which YOU think, “that’s exactly the same as a coordinated pedo ring of prominent Democrats that Donald Trump is leading the charge to expose through secret coded messages during press briefings.”

20 hours ago, glduck said:

The Nate Silver tweet you shared was a response to a specific tweet that grouped removals by state, so that’s what Silver explored. But that’s not seeing the forest for the trees. It ignores the crux of the problem — it was happening in large population centers.

Just for funsies: 

— Trump illegally invites foreign interference (Republican confirmed!) in an election;

— that OTHER time Trump illegally invited foreign interference (and got impeached!) in an election;

— Trump appoints a stooge who openly talks of dismantling the USPS as the de facto head of the USPS;

— Trump admitting to acting against USPS interests for the specific reason of hindering universal vote-by-mail;

— Trump has expressed publicly that he would prefer a low voter turnout because it would help Republicans;

To which YOU think, “that’s exactly the same as a coordinated pedo ring of prominent Democrats that Donald Trump is leading the charge to expose through secret coded messages during press briefings.”

First I thank you for the civility of your post consistent with your pattern of posts.  Not surprisingly, I disagree with your analysis of Silvers post.

If one were to attempt to affect the outcome of the election one would absolutely have to target swing states.  I think we can agree on that. Nate Silver in very strong terms the notion that swing states were disproportionately targeted for equipment removals.  In fact he called such an assertion irresponsible.

I think it would have been irresponsible of Silver To use that description if urban areas within swing states were targeted.  If that was happening as obviously as you suggest, Silver would be aware of that and his analysis would have been irresponsible.  I’ve never seen Silver be so myopic and I don’t believe that is the case here.

All of this ignores the larger point, there has been no showing that the USPS can not timely handle the ballots even if every single voter votes by mail.  Finally, courts have ordered polling places in urban areas to stay open beyond the designated closing time if it appears that voters will not be able to vote by that closing time.  Even if there were to be delays in the handling of ballots, federal judges would devise remedies to insure ballots were counted.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:36 PM, glduck said:

Just for funsies: 

A very thorough takedown.  Well done, take my upvote.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:55 AM, KUGRDON said:

First I thank you for the civility of your post consistent with your pattern of posts.  Not surprisingly, I disagree with your analysis of Silvers post.

If one were to attempt to affect the outcome of the election one would absolutely have to target swing states.  I think we can agree on that. Nate Silver in very strong terms the notion that swing states were disproportionately targeted for equipment removals.  In fact he called such an assertion irresponsible.

I think it would have been irresponsible of Silver To use that description if urban areas within swing states were targeted.  If that was happening as obviously as you suggest, Silver would be aware of that and his analysis would have been irresponsible.  I’ve never seen Silver be so myopic and I don’t believe that is the case here.

All of this ignores the larger point, there has been no showing that the USPS can not timely handle the ballots even if every single voter votes by mail.  Finally, courts have ordered polling places in urban areas to stay open beyond the designated closing time if it appears that voters will not be able to vote by that closing time.  Even if there were to be delays in the handling of ballots, federal judges would devise remedies to insure ballots were counted.

Voting is handled by state and local law.  There are numerous states that require ballots to ARRIVE by election day, not merely be postmarked by the election.  There is absolutely evidence that the mail is being delayed substantially in numerous states, including swing states.  No, this is not some Q-anon conspiracy, particularly considering Trump has quite openly said that he hopes to cripple the post office with the express purpose of delaying votes.

Some states anticipate 10 times the normal volume of election mail. Six states and D.C. received warnings that ballots could be delayed for a narrow set of voters. But the Postal Service gave 40 others — including the key battleground states of Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida — more-serious warnings that their long-standing deadlines for requesting, returning or counting ballots were “incongruous” with mail service and that voters who send ballots in close to those deadlines may become disenfranchised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Turns out, in April there was a plan for the USPS, working with HHS, to deliver a pack of 5 reusable masks to every delivery point in the USPS network. The professionals in the government saw what was going on and enacted a plan that, no doubt, would've saved thousands and thousands of lives. They even threw a bone in the press release saying they were working with the White House, so its inevitable success could have easily had the credit usurped. Instead, it was blocked. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/read-the-scrapped-usps-announcement-to-send-5-masks-to-every-american-household/39cd11c9-3e38-4d8a-9d70-7c3215ab9cf8/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_10

There was concern from some in the White House Domestic Policy Council and the office of the vice president that households receiving masks might create concern or panic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/09/17/usps-trump-coronavirus-amazon-foia/

Archived