Texas and Oklahoma leaving Big 12?

DenverUte13

On 7/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, azgreg said:

Hypothetical time. Let's say the big boys from teh PAC do in fact defect to the B1G and the remaining schools merge with the remaining schools of the Big XII. What do we call it?

Should just buy the rights to the WAC 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2021 at 4:46 PM, azgreg said:

Hypothetical time. Let's say the big boys from teh PAC do in fact defect to the B1G and the remaining schools merge with the remaining schools of the Big XII. What do we call it?

The Big Left?  

If I’m the B1G, my first instinct is to reach out to the ACC. If I’m the ACC, my first instinct is to reach out to the B1G. I’d love to wedge ourselves between that, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to listen to what the Big 12 remnants have to say. We could very well find ourselves not invited to the dance and in need of friends.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:35 PM, glduck said:

If I’m the B1G, my first instinct is to reach out to the ACC. If I’m the ACC, my first instinct is to reach out to the B1G. I’d love to wedge ourselves between that, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to listen to what the Big 12 remnants have to say. We could very well find ourselves not invited to the dance and in need of friends.

If I am the ACC I want nothing to do with the B1G.  That is too obvious of a shark to miss.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Why have a scheduling alliance with a sad-sack group of leftovers?  Do it with the B1G or ACC, sure, but not with a group of stale-bread losers who are trying to avoid being G5.

I think the Pac is obligated to listen to everyone, but I can't really imagine what the Big 12 might be able to offer. Perhaps a bowl game or two?

B1G would love to have a talk with Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Miami FL, Pittsburgh, and Virginia.  SEC would likewise have those talks with VT, NCSU, Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville.  Norte Dame could force the B1G's hand to take Boston College and them which would mean the votes are there to dissolve the ACC.  The SEC later invites West Virginia to make it 22 schools.  B1G would need to look for just one more school and they could just pick up UConn for cheap and as a way to get back to ESPN for their SEC stunt.

That is why the ACC wouldn't want to do a deal with the B1G.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:05 PM, clpp01 said:

Best decision the P12 ever made was not tying themselves down to a long term contract extension when ESPN was offering to buy into the P12 Network a couple years ago like the ACC did to jumpstart theirs 

I'm torn on this.  If the P12 did sign that ESPN extension, the P12N games would have been on ESPN+.  SEC Network games could be shifting towards ESPN+/SEC+ and beginning in 2023, all ABC/ESPN NFL games will be on ESPN+ too.  NBA is only a matter of time before that happens too if they stay with ESPN.

On the other hand, the P12 could sell the rights of their games to anyone and make a good sized chunk of coin.  But I'm skeptical on that ability to make a good sized chunk of coin.

Rejecting that ESPN offer might end up being a bad decision after all.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:10 PM, Jalapeno said:

B1G would love to have a talk with Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Miami FL, Pittsburgh, and Virginia.  SEC would likewise have those talks with VT, NCSU, Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville.  Norte Dame could force the B1G's hand to take Boston College and them which would mean the votes are there to dissolve the ACC.  The SEC later invites West Virginia to make it 22 schools.  B1G would need to look for just one more school and they could just pick up UConn for cheap and as a way to get back to ESPN for their SEC stunt.

I'm torn on this.  If the P12 did sign that ESPN extension, the P12N games would have been on ESPN+.  SEC Network games could be shifting towards ESPN+/SEC+ and beginning in 2023, all ABC/ESPN NFL games will be on ESPN+ too.  NBA is only a matter of time before that happens too if they stay with ESPN.

On the other hand, the P12 could sell the rights of their games to anyone and make a good sized chunk of coin.  But I'm skeptical on that ability to make a good sized chunk of coin.

Only one school can increase the size of the SEC pie so that every member gets more money.  Norte Dame.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:10 PM, Jalapeno said:

ESPN was looking to strike when the P12 was down extending the current rights deal so that they locked in a long term late night option on the cheap.  If you think the P12 is falling behind now just think how worse it would be to sit here getting the same 20 million a year from their tv deal when ACC is pushing 30+ and B1G/SEC are reaching 50+ million a year.

We're fine at 12.  We'd be even better with an alliance (say eight in-conference games, and two cross-conference games per team a year) with the B1G.  We'd have matchups like Ohio State/USC, Oregon/Penn State, Stanford/Northwestern, Wisconsin/Washington, Iowa/Utah, UCLA/Michigan, Colorado/Nebraska, etc.  Even Rutgers/WSU and Maryland/ASU would be interesting.  And there'd be some interesting trips to Chicago, New York, Washington, etc.  There would be a lot of games more compelling than Mississippi State/Texas or Vanderbilt/Oklahoma.

I was watching one of the B1G YouTube channels and they were advocating for the B1G taking all the AAU schools from the PAC 12 (everyone except ASU, OSU & WSU) along with Iowa State to form a 24 team super conference. They were saying that would probably get FOX to pay similar money to what ESPN will pay the SEC.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:57 PM, Scscsc89 said:

They’re giving up the Phoenix media market (#11US) and one of the country’s largest undergrad universities (#7) but want Ames, Iowa (#68)?

That wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

Arizona would be enough to carry the Phoenix market, the B1G as it is could probably carry the Phoenix market with all the transplant population here.

question would be why double dip in a state they already have in Iowa rather than push for Kansas or Rice or an ACC school if possible 

On 8/4/2021 at 12:57 AM, Scscsc89 said:

They’re giving up the Phoenix media market (#11US) and one of the country’s largest undergrad universities (#7) but want Ames, Iowa (#68)?

That wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

They were only considering AAU Schools. Iowa State has the best football program of the schools that might be available.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:30 PM, clpp01 said:

ESPN was looking to strike when the P12 was down extending the current rights deal so that they locked in a long term late night option on the cheap.  If you think the P12 is falling behind now just think how worse it would be to sit here getting the same 20 million a year from their tv deal when ACC is pushing 30+ and B1G/SEC are reaching 50+ million a year.

Yeah it could have gotten worse for the Pac-12 in that case.

I have to wonder if football is basically done west of I-25 in the US.

Archived