2022 TV/Movie thread

Orange

Looks like the Game of Thrones thread is archived (even though it could totally be reignited for House of Dragons), so here's a new thread.

I've enjoyed HoD.  As usual, I didn't read the source material because fuck that.  Episode 1 was pretty riveting and...awful, in the GoT fashion.  Episode 2 drug.  Hard.  Hoping it picks up.

I watched The Terminal List and it is jingoistic, Navy SEAL worship garbage from an increasingly weirder Chris Pratt.  Still, I watched the whole damn thing because bingeing is a problem I have.

Sandman was surprisingly good and easy to follow.  Lots of interesting characters and each episode was almost like a vignette.  

As far as movies go, I'd love to see Emily the Criminal.  Aubrey Plaza has been a crush of mine for years, and it has 94% at RT.com. 

The best movie of the summer so far, in my view, was The Northman. (was that summer or spring?  Christ, this was a long few months).  

Weigh in and get this thing going, please....

HotD is fine so far, and gives me hope for the series. I realize that they have been mostly setting up the story for the first two episodes, and expect that there will be a lot more action going forward. The acting and production values all seem good, so have high hopes.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, Mano said:

HotD is fine so far, and gives me hope for the series. I realize that they have been mostly setting up the story for the first two episodes, and expect that there will be a lot more action going forward. The acting and production values all seem good, so have high hopes.

Daemon Targaryan is my fav so far.  That actor is terrific as a foil.  He was a younger prince Phillip in the Crown (another show I'm looking forward to, and for which one of our SEC newcomers would probably call me a beta cuck).

On 8/30/2022 at 3:58 PM, azgreg said:

I've really like HoD.

Also I'm watching Only Murders in the Building. Pretty entertaining.

Only Murders is great; terrific final act for ****** and Marty.

I highly recommend What We Do in The Shadows, as does almost everyone else I know.  Hysterical.

The Old Man is another series everyone should be watching/should have watched.  Jeff Bridges is the GOAT of the boomer generation for me.

On 8/31/2022 at 5:21 PM, Scscsc89 said:

I liked The Godfather miniseries on Paramount+ (the Offer), the Sex Pistols docudrama on Hulu & excited to watch the new season of Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

Loved "The Offer", very entertaining and really well done. Excellent cast, and the nods it gave to the Godfather were great.

No shame in enjoying The Crown, that show is insanely good. I think S4 went 7/7 at the Emmy’s last year? The acting is incredible. Can’t wait for S5.

Better Call Saul just ended. I know this board + the old College Fanatics site had a lot of Breaking Bad fans, anyone stick with Saul? While there was some BB fan service over the course of the series, I thought it more than stood on its own. 

I liked the first two HoD episodes. It’s streaming numbers are raking so prepare for a half dozen other GoT spin-offs in the next few years, which is fine by me. Anything to take away the stench of GoT’s final season.

Stranger Things S4 was good.

I don’t think I’m watching a ton right now… waiting for the new Succession, whenever that’s coming. I dug the first two seasons of For All Mankind on Apple+, I need to watch S3 still. Need to check out the new season of Westworld still. New Handmaid’s Tale is out soon.

Oh, and Cobra Kai comes back in a few weeks. Everyone needs to watch Cobra Kai.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:20 PM, glduck said:

No shame in enjoying The Crown, that show is insanely good. I think S4 went 7/7 at the Emmy’s last year? The acting is incredible. Can’t wait for S5.

Better Call Saul just ended. I know this board + the old College Fanatics site had a lot of Breaking Bad fans, anyone stick with Saul? While there was some BB fan service over the course of the series, I thought it more than stood on its own. 

I liked the first two HoD episodes. It’s streaming numbers are raking so prepare for a half dozen other GoT spin-offs in the next few years, which is fine by me. Anything to take away the stench of GoT’s final season.

Stranger Things S4 was good.

I don’t think I’m watching a ton right now… waiting for the new Succession, whenever that’s coming. I dug the first two seasons of For All Mankind on Apple+, I need to watch S3 still. Need to check out the new season of Westworld still. New Handmaid’s Tale is out soon.

Oh, and Cobra Kai comes back in a few weeks. Everyone needs to watch Cobra Kai.

Better Call Saul is weapons-grade good tv, and tasty bait for "even better than BB!" takes.  My problem is that Bend Broadband dropped AMC, so my only option for watching the final season is like $4 per episode on itunes.  Hmph.

I got my two kids, 10 and 12, into Karate Kid by holding a viewing of 1 and 2 (they begged for 3, and I refused; mainly because it was on Prime, and cost money, and I'm not shelling out any money for that Terry asshole's performance).  Now they're into Cobra Kai.  We'll def do a family viewing for the new season.  I can handle the Terry asshole if he's dong a parody of his prior character.  My oldest wants to do Tai Kwan Do probably in no small part because he's watching CK.

My wife and I have literally calendared a date to begin rewatching 1-4 of The Crown in prep for S5  So def no shame here.

PS: The Tim Donaghy doc on Netflix is good.  Pretty depressing, but good.  Philly trash doing Philly trash things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, KUGRDON said:

Since I had to get Prime is there anything I should be watching?

Series on prime I have enjoyed:

Fleabag

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

The Boys

The Man in the Highcastle

Outer Range

Night Sky

The Expanse

Jack Ryan

Goliath

Sneaky Pete

On 9/15/2022 at 11:17 PM, Mano said:

Series on prime I have enjoyed:

Fleabag

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

The Boys

The Man in the Highcastle

Outer Range

Night Sky

The Expanse

Jack Ryan

Goliath

Sneaky Pete

The Expanse is maybe the best Sci-fi I've ever seen.  Almost worth a second watch.

I would add:

Underground Railroad

Hunters

The Outlaws

Hanna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...