2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 10/18/2023 at 7:49 PM, EastCoastFan said:

UCLA's way to maximize revenue has been easy to understand.  Move to the Big-10.  Regarding UCLA's attendance, for whatever reason, they now have a profitable sellout on their hands (and maybe some new-found local interest in the process.)  I'd guess the sellout has more to do with Sanders than with either Colorado or UCLA.

Without a doubt, it’s Sanders on this one.  I won’t deny his impact on football but I think that will fade more with a whole line of losses coming up.  

I don’t think Sanders is going to bring a bunch of new energy and money to established programs like UW, Oregon, USC, Utah and Oregon State.  Utah has had like 83 straight sellouts without anyone named Sanders involved. 

I also don’t buy the casual fan theory in LA. USC is getting nearly double the amount of people into their stadium each week compared to UCLA. 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:04 AM, utenation said:

Without a doubt, it’s Sanders on this one.  I won’t deny his impact on football but I think that will fade more with a whole line of losses coming up.  

I don’t think Sanders is going to bring a bunch of new energy and money to established programs like UW, Oregon, USC, Utah and Oregon State.  Utah has had like 83 straight sellouts without anyone named Sanders involved. 

I also don’t buy the casual fan theory in LA. USC is getting nearly double the amount of people into their stadium each week compared to UCLA. 

What’s bizarre is neither can sell out their games in a city that size.  People just don’t care.  

On 10/19/2023 at 11:54 AM, utenation said:

UW/OR dominated the ratings last week. USC/ND was very good as well.

week seven college football ratings

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

I thought this was pretty amazing, both that UW/OR got slightly better ratings than USC/ND but also the top SEC game Tenn/TAM. Also, i believe the Oregon State/UCLA game got better ratings than any Big 12 game. And the networks kept telling us that they couldn't offer the Pac12 more because the ratings weren't there. Meanwhile, the B1G got an incredible deal to get UW/OR at half price for 5 years. We (UW/OR) really should have gotten the SEC into the bidding. 

On 10/19/2023 at 1:53 PM, Buff_Fan said:

It was a top 10 team.  In a city that big they should sell out imo.  Yeah it’s not bad, just should be better.

Why? Is everyone a USC football fan? Most college teams don't share their town with anyone. It's the never ending conversation about competition for entertainment and Los Angeles has more competition than any place in the world. With shitty public transportation that makes it a nightmare getting around.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, MrBug708 said:

Why? Is everyone a USC football fan? Most college teams don't share their town with anyone. It's the never ending conversation about competition for entertainment and Los Angeles has more competition than any place in the world. With shitty public transportation that makes it a nightmare getting around.

They also have the largest population of any city with an FBS football team. When they are competing for national championships, the fans show up, otherwise not so much. Kind of the definition of fair weather fans,

On 10/19/2023 at 4:38 PM, Mano said:

They also have the largest population of any city with an FBS football team. When they are competing for national championships, the fans show up, otherwise not so much. Kind of the definition of fair weather fans,

That they do. How many alumni of UCLA in SLC? Compare that to Utah fans in LA?  We have a shitload of people here but they are fans of other schools, NFL teams, or not fans at all. The school and city don't have a symbiotic relationship like other college towns do where residents will support the school even if they aren't alums because it's good for the town. Pasadena residents resent all events not named the Rose Bowl Those "fairweather fans" aren't fans of either schools though. Those are people looking for an entertainment value. So when the teams are doing good, they come around. I know four people going to the UCLA Colorado game who aren't fans of either school, they are fans of Prime. I'm the opposite of fairweather, I'm a cheap fan. I'm more likely to go to a game when the price is dirt cheap, which means the team is sucking. I'll buy season tickets vs a single game maybe here or there when they are good. 

On 10/19/2023 at 4:38 PM, Mano said:

It’s a fairweather city with hollywood, beaches, Disneyland, knots berry farm, and Clippers preseason.  Of course they’re fairweather fans.  They also leave dodgers games early and regret it (still one of my favorite sports stories)

On 10/20/2023 at 7:04 AM, Orange said:

Holy shit if we beat UW at home in a few weeks it’ll look like the Beavs did the Louisiana purchase. 

Just as Beavs begins to embrace the map, the dude that runs it is thinking about giving up because no one understands it!  

IMG_3522.jpeg

On 10/20/2023 at 12:24 AM, MrBug708 said:

That they do. How many alumni of UCLA in SLC? Compare that to Utah fans in LA?  We have a shitload of people here but they are fans of other schools, NFL teams, or not fans at all. The school and city don't have a symbiotic relationship like other college towns do where residents will support the school even if they aren't alums because it's good for the town. Pasadena residents resent all events not named the Rose Bowl Those "fairweather fans" aren't fans of either schools though. Those are people looking for an entertainment value. So when the teams are doing good, they come around. I know four people going to the UCLA Colorado game who aren't fans of either school, they are fans of Prime. I'm the opposite of fairweather, I'm a cheap fan. I'm more likely to go to a game when the price is dirt cheap, which means the team is sucking. I'll buy season tickets vs a single game maybe here or there when they are good. 

UCLA should be able to do better than 39k a game.  There are other entertainment options in most large P12 cities. 

ASU/PHX is doing pretty well for a 1-5 team. 

On 10/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, Orange said:

Holy shit if we beat UW at home in a few weeks it’ll look like the Beavs did the Louisiana purchase. 

I'm still not happy OSU took all our land.  Now we are relegated to farming potatoes and cabbage as peasants living in grass huts, also paying your tax collectors on your land.  We used to be big ballers living the good life.

Medieval Farming

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, row Z said:

And the networks kept telling us that they couldn't offer the Pac12 more because the ratings weren't there.

When it comes to TV ratings, when looking at a potential new media deal, I'm pretty sure they look at probably a decade's worth of data to average out the highs and lows. I said it earlier in the season. It would have been nice to see the TV ratings CU is pulling in this year over a span of at least 5 years with Sanders.  I think that could have made a difference but all the hot and heavy negotiations were before this season started. 

I'm still floored that we tossed ESPN's $30 million offer to the trash bin in favor of thinking we could get $50 million without the LA market. And apparently Utah's president offering up a U of U's economics professor's analysis on TV contracts saying we could get that $50 million.  This might be the biggest leadership bonehead move of all time. Add in the other presidents that swallowed this idea. 

On 10/20/2023 at 10:22 AM, utenation said:

UCLA should be able to do better than 39k a game.  There are other entertainment options in most large P12 cities. 

ASU/PHX is doing pretty well for a 1-5 team. 

They should absolutely. I think Kelly cratering the program and starting over really took the wind out of the sails. Combined with recruiting apathy, which was the lifeblood of UCLA fans, it really has given a bad taste to fans with him. Running the pro style has been boring.

I suspect if ASU gave free tickets to the students and surrounding community, they could get them in the stands. If UCLA gave free tickets to the students, it's an hour trek to the game. Yes, definitely excuses, but there are viable reasons why people don't attend games. The immediate population at UCLA doesn't have the campus on stadium. I bet that's almost 10k fan right there. But the students are about the only group of fans who consistently make the games, provided school is actually in session. Which isn't usually the case until conference season starts.