P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

On 3/4/2024 at 12:09 PM, EastCoastFan said:

How does he feel about the Disloyal-10?

I don’t call them disloyal.  They just don’t recognize what’s best for CFB and folded to SEC and B1G.  It was destined to happen when the PAC-10 and Big 10 surrendered the Rose Bowl after 1988.

Lunardi:

He has the Cougs as a 5 seed, and just two spots from the 4 seed line, a boost of two slots. He also has the Cougars opening the Big Dance in Spokane.  

Despite being a lock for the NCAA and at least a 2 seed in the Pac-12 tourney, The UDub game and the tournament are vitally important to WSU seating in the NCAA.

For the sake of history and curiosity Tony Bennett’s teams in 2007 and 2008 ( the Low/Weaver/Cowgill teams) were seeded 3 and 4, respectivly.  

On 3/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Why would Cronin leave?

The thoroughbreds in Kentucky?

In all seriousness, I dont think there is a chance he leaves UCLA unless it was to beat the firing squad and UCLA is a patient school. A few of the other blue bloods would have him on life support after this sort of season, but the Final Four run earned him some good will obviously. The Euro-misstep will get him next year. He has some warts, but coaching isn't one of them. Ohio State also lingers out there, but he moved his daughter and his ex-wife out to LA. I doubt either want to go back to the midwest area, Ohio especially. Cronin also has a large buyout and this season would make a program looking at him, pause.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:05 PM, MrBug708 said:

The thoroughbreds in Kentucky?

In all seriousness, I dont think there is a chance he leaves UCLA unless it was to beat the firing squad and UCLA is a patient school. A few of the other blue bloods would have him on life support after this sort of season, but the Final Four run earned him some good will obviously. The Euro-misstep will get him next year. He has some warts, but coaching isn't one of them. Ohio State also lingers out there, but he moved his daughter and his ex-wife out to LA. I doubt either want to go back to the midwest area, Ohio especially. Cronin also has a large buyout and this season would make a program looking at him, pause.

You make sense.  However, watching Cronin, in person and on TV, makes one wonder if he has 'connectability' with his players.  A few simply don't seem to like him.  On the buyout $$'s, yes, they're steep, but those can be negotiated down if the losing school isn't that upset about the loss.  As with Kelly, it's a lot cheaper to have your ambivalence about your coach rewarded by a voluntary departure.  Could be a negotiated gift.

I’m thinking WSU should concentrate on basketball when it comes to its NIL efforts.  You only have to pay a coach and two or three players to really have an impact. The tournament is a far easier goal to achieve than CFP.

LOL at Utah. Absolutely pathetic team.  Can't even beat the lowly last place team Oregon State(159 Net ranking). The fact that Utah is in 5th place in this conference shows how bad the conference is. Outside of AZ and maybe CU, I don't see any program doing anything in post season.  

Utah is a terrible defensive team, pathetically soft and a turnover machine. Utah is ranked 228th in scoring D, 272 in turnover margin and 120th in defensive FG%. Absolutely garbage. Looking right at you Craig Smith, I think your leash will be semi short next year.  This is all on coaching. We have talent. 

Utah has no business making any post season tourney. We would just continue to embarrass ourselves on national TV. Craig Smith should lobby to have all of Utah's games played in the Huntsman Center. Then he might accomplish something, 

At least spring football is here. 

This is like those years right after Lute Olson retired and Ben Howland forgot how to coach, when the Pac barely squeezed two into the Tournament and random Cal players like Jerome Randall and Jorge Gutierrez were winning POTY.

We clinched a bye for Vegas and I don’t think we’ll qualify for the NIT. Tough times.