P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

On 3/18/2024 at 12:27 PM, Chile_Ute said:

2/6 are play in games…little surprised by the seeding for the MWC.  Little hosed for this season.

USU, Boise and New Mexico got screwed in the seedings, while SDSU got rewarded for last years run. A lot of the seedings and selections are based on reputation rather than what teams actually did this year, regardless of what the selection committee says.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 1:44 PM, Mano said:

USU, Boise and New Mexico got screwed in the seedings, while SDSU got rewarded for last years run. A lot of the seedings and selections are based on reputation rather than what teams actually did this year, regardless of what the selection committee says.

Seems to always be an issue with the MWC. IDK if it's bias because they're considered a mid-major conference but they've averaged 3 tournament bids a year since 2010, getting 4-5 multiple years. I think despite their short history as a conference they've only had 1 bid a few times. I get financial resources plays into high vs mid major but they're always competing with the best of teams throughout the years. 

Do the maffs. The "mid major" conferences are always overrated and when they aren't, people cry foul. Do we really need to talk about how the RPI propped up the worst conferences for decades? 

On 3/18/2024 at 1:40 PM, utenation said:

Only a few MWC teams sacked up and played a decent non-con. SDSU, Boise and CSU did. But teams like UNM baked a ton of cupcakes, same with USU. 

I think the committee wants to see the conference as a whole do something in post season for once to hand out higher seeds. Other than SDSU. 

Same as it ever was. It's better now with the net, but good grief. They feed on the weak and then those good records circulate in the conference itself, and nobody seems willing to call a spade a spade. 

On 3/19/2024 at 12:00 AM, Trojan209 said:

Seems to always be an issue with the MWC. IDK if it's bias because they're considered a mid-major conference but they've averaged 3 tournament bids a year since 2010, getting 4-5 multiple years. I think despite their short history as a conference they've only had 1 bid a few times. I get financial resources plays into high vs mid major but they're always competing with the best of teams throughout the years. 

If you’re the committee, are you going to award the MWC with high seeds when they are nothing but a 1 and done conference?  Other than SDSU, Nevada is really the only other MWC team to advance and that was 6 years ago. 

Boise, 11 appearances, never advanced. UNM, last time they advanced was 2012. USU, 24 appearances, last time they advanced was 1970.  CSU last advanced in 2012. You can always make the argument that power schools get over seeded and do nothing but since when has the struggle between the rich and poor ever been fair?

Gonzaga earned their street cred with strong OOC games and advancing. Same with SDSU and both get good/decent seeds. “Mid Majors” have always had to prove more. That's never going to change. Win and earn it. 

If you are a "Mid Major" and schedule nothing but cupcakes in OOC, you won't be rewarded.  UNM and USU's OOC schedules were embarrassing. A lot of fluff in those 20 win seasons. 

On 3/19/2024 at 11:30 AM, utenation said:

If you’re the committee, are you going to award the MWC with high seeds when they are nothing but a 1 and done conference?  Other than SDSU, Nevada is really the only other MWC team to advance and that was 6 years ago. 

Boise, 11 appearances, never advanced. UNM, last time they advanced was 2012.
USU, 24 appearances, last time they advanced was 1970.  CSU last advanced in 2012. 

You can always make the argument that power schools get over seeded and do nothing but since when has the struggle between the rich and poor ever been fair?

Gonzaga earned their street cred with strong OOC games and advancing. Same with SDSU.  “Mid Majors” have always had to prove more. 

The problem is that is a self fulfilling argument, MWC doesn't advance so give their teams shitty seeds and they don't advance. They need to base seedings on each year individually, not based on school or conference history, and when they set up the metrics that they are going to use, such as NET rating, pomeroy etc. and smaller teams perform to those metrics, it seems unfair to give them the "eyeball" test argument and give them a crap seed anyway. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:37 AM, Mano said:

The problem is that is a self fulfilling argument, MWC doesn't advance so give their teams shitty seeds and they don't advance. They need to base seedings on each year individually, not based on school or conference history, and when they set up the metrics that they are going to use, such as NET rating, pomeroy etc. and smaller teams perform to those metrics, it seems unfair to give them the "eyeball" test argument and give them a crap seed anyway. 

If we are just going to use this year, I think CSU and BSU got robbed a little because they actually played decent schedules but not USU and UNM.  Nevada is borderline. 

Utah could have went full cupcake mode and got 20 wins easily but I'm glad we challenged ourselves.  We got what we deserved which is the Not Invited Tournament.

Let's see if the MWC does something this year. I'm all for Western teams performing well in any sport.

I think now especially with the transfer portal & NIL it’s gonna be hard to judge a team the same year to year. I really don’t think it should have ever been a consideration anyway, but going forward what’s the justification?

I just watched CSU dismantle Virginia who won the natty back in 2019, but obviously this years Virginia team was vastly different not only from 2019 but even just a year ago after losing a bunch of starters. But did the committee really give Virginia the play in game because of their history in the tournament? I hope not but it wouldn’t shock me either. Watch CSU make a deep run this year and go on a long tournament losing streak again. 

well looks like CSU answered their call.  Impressive game.

in other news from post season play no one gives a shot about, UC Irvine embarrassing Utah in the paint, and poor defensive rotation allowing them to torch us from 3.  Fucking done

On 3/19/2024 at 9:58 PM, Chile_Ute said:

well looks like CSU answered their call.  Impressive game.

in other news from post season play no one gives a shot about, UC Irvine embarrassing Utah in the paint, and poor defensive rotation allowing them to torch us from 3.  Fucking done

B Carlson stepping up tonight. The only reason we win in this Tourney is because we play in SLC as a high seed. 

The minute we step out of our arena, we will fold like a wet noodle against any team in D1. 

On 3/19/2024 at 9:55 PM, Trojan209 said:

I think now especially with the transfer portal & NIL it’s gonna be hard to judge a team the same year to year. I really don’t think it should have ever been a consideration anyway, but going forward what’s the justification?

I just watched CSU dismantle Virginia who won the natty back in 2019, but obviously this years Virginia team was vastly different not only from 2019 but even just a year ago after losing a bunch of starters. But did the committee really give Virginia the play in game because of their history in the tournament? I hope not but it wouldn’t shock me either. Watch CSU make a deep run this year and go on a long tournament losing streak again. 

There was a lot of controversy about adding UVA at all even for a play in because how atrocious they’ve been playing on offense for some time now.    

I think they got in on reputation for sure.  CSU wasn’t even trying hard on D. A lot of shitty shots. CSU just played their game. I hope they beat Texas for sure. 

On 3/19/2024 at 10:47 PM, utenation said:

B Carlson stepping up tonight. The only reason we win in this Tourney is because we play in SLC as a high seed. 

The minute we step out of our arena, we will fold like a wet noodle against any team in D1. 

They’re cooking our noodle with 2 minutes left.  We are so soft

On 3/19/2024 at 10:47 PM, utenation said:

If Smith doesn’t do something impressive next year I’d really be interested in Medved in a new search.  Pitino the younger maybe but I’m still not sold on him yet.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:02 PM, Chile_Ute said:

If Smith doesn’t do something impressive next year I’d really be interested in Medved in a new search.  Pitino the younger maybe but I’m still not sold on him yet.

I want to see how both Medved and Pitino do in this tourney. UNM is pretty hot. 

• Like 1

CU needs to settle down and play their game. BSU is a MUCH better defensive team than Utah.  They have a whole lot of want to. 

CU missing easily layups. I think talent takes over for CU in the second half. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:37 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Pac is 1-0.  OSU and WSU just earned $2 million.  More to come.

That’s great. They should save every penny too. Once it comes time for a new TV contract with 2 teams, times will get lean once the remaining P12 asset nest-egg runs dry. 

Meanwhile, the 4 corners, the LA schools and UW/OR will all get nice paydays from day 1 and not lose a wink of sleep over what the 2 remaining teams are doing. 

Last I checked, the B12 is pretty good at hoops too.