P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

On 3/28/2024 at 11:14 AM, EastCoastFan said:

At this stage, except for 16 NCAA tourney teams, the only thing that really matters is next year.  With the NIL mess we're in, teams like Drake, Pepperdine, and Stanford have pretty much lost their entire teams in this portal era.  CU hasthe top three going NBA, three more in the portal, and pretty much nothing left.  The question for Utah, as with ASU, Arizona, and CU, is what will be there to compete in the elevated competition of the Big-12?  ASU and CU look like they might have conference records of something like 4-16.  The Wildcats will be okay, although they won't rule the place like they did in the Pac with Houston, Baylor, KU, ISU, and TCU all in the way.  Utah seems to be more of a question mark on how they'll compete in the new sandbox.  What's the core coming back?  At CU, it's zero.  At Arizona, it's to be determined.

We discussed it earlier. Utah’s cupboard is bare next year unless we make a splash in the portal. CU’s Lampkin is now in the portal, I’d take him if he would come. He seems to have issues sticking at one place. But even if we get him for 1 year, we’d be better. I also mentioned we’ve pretty much got our ass kicked in the P12 the last 6-7 years so going to a much better basketball conference next year doesn’t leave Utah fans a lot of hope. 

I think all the 4 corners except AZ will get smashed next year in the B12. I think AZ will be much like Houston was going to the B12. A seamless transition. 

On 3/28/2024 at 1:26 PM, utenation said:

We discussed it earlier. Utah’s cupboard is bare next year unless we make a splash in the portal. CU’s Lampkin is now in the portal, I’d take him if would come. He seems to have issues sticking at one place. But even if we get him for 1 year, we’d be better. 

I also mentioned we’ve pretty much got our ass kicked in the P12 the last 6-7 years so going to a much better basketball conference next year doesn’t leave Utah fans a lot of hope. 

I think all the 4 corners except AZ will get smashed next year in the B12. I think AZ will be much like Houston was going to the B12. A seamless transition. 

Lampkin only has one year left.  He'd be an improvement over Utah's last CU-portal add.  The issue is apparently NIL.  CU also has 2 other starters in the portal, Hadley and O'Brien.  Both also have 1 year left in e;igibility.  All of them are reasonably 'affordable' if a school is prepared to fund hoops with a collective.  With these departures, it's also reasonable to wonder if Boyle is in the portal.  He seems to be on several Trojan 'might-hire' lists.

On 3/28/2024 at 12:22 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Interesting players for Utah, ASU, and CU to consider who are in the portal:

1) Myles Rice, PG, WSU

Sign me up for this one. We get Worster back next year. But he's injury prone.  Deivon can come back too but it would be nice to have a better guard line and more depth. Rice is already a star in my book.

Erickson(BYU transfer) is not the answer.  He's pretty much a glorified ward ball player. 

On 3/28/2024 at 12:58 PM, utenation said:

Good thing?

image.png.80da95a94acbab2f89334c9640c1e491.png

He’s got some red flags but if you are transferring to Mick on your third school, both parties should know what they are getting themselves into. 7th school in 7 years

On 3/28/2024 at 8:35 PM, MrBug708 said:

You can’t argue facts. I don’t get it.  Miller’s peak was the elite 8.  No offense to AZ fans here but that’s a lot of talent to get bounced early this year and 1st round last year. 

On 3/28/2024 at 8:47 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I hate to say it, but this may be based on the comparitively weaker competition in the Pac-12, where early in the year Zona is competitive nationally, but while other teams then steel up in their league play, the Wildcats slide through.

I’m not sure about this. I think Oregon, CU and WSU exceeded NCAA tourney expectations this year.  At one point we were 6-0 in the dance. With everyone advancing to the second round including beating better seeds. 

If the conference was weak, you’d have a lot more 1 and dones. 

Yeah, I don’t think conference strength has much to do with it once we get to this level. I think there were three clear cut #1’s, and then like 20 teams who could all beat each other on any given night. Hence Carolina going down tonight, too.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:47 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I hate to say it, but this may be based on the comparitively weaker competition in the Pac-12, where early in the year Zona is competitive nationally, but while other teams then steel up in their league play, the Wildcats slide through.

Arizona's issues have always been centered around the officials. They've managed to feast on the officials in conference and get to the lines easily enough but come the tournament, that advantage is taken away and they struggle. The conference allowing them to do that and getting away with it in McKale for so long has been, IMO, a disservice to their tournament hopes. They've never been able to adapt as well.

• Like 1

I had Iowa State in the Elite 8 and I had AZ/ UNC playing in the Elite 8. For the B12 to be the “ strongest” conference with only Houston left, might be a dud year.

Duke is playing well enough to beat them but Houston is damn good. 

On 3/29/2024 at 1:40 AM, MrBug708 said:

Arizona's issues have always been centered around the officials. They've managed to feast on the officials in conference and get to the lines easily enough but come the tournament, that advantage is taken away and they struggle. The conference allowing them to do that and getting away with it in McKale for so long has been, IMO, a disservice to their tournament hopes. They've never been able to adapt as well.

The refs again bug? Not saying there isn't some truth to this but it would be interesting to see what their average amount of times to the line is in conference, home and away and then in Tourney games.

I've noticed how many fans of all conferences always complain about officiating. It's human nature.

I'd like to see some data behind this.