P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

On 3/29/2024 at 3:39 PM, EastCoastFan said:

What's the impact of the Deivon Smith loss for the Utes?

Did he hit the portal? Not that I’ve seen. Otherwise I’m 99% sure he has 1 year of eligibility left with the Covid year.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:01 AM, utenation said:

The refs again bug? Not saying there isn't some truth to this but it would be interesting to see what their average amount of times to the line is in conference, home and away and then in Tourney games.

I've noticed how many fans of all conferences always complain about officiating. It's human nature.

I'd like to see some data behind this.  

I should amend my statement slightly. Their average stays the same, it’s the opponents numbers who deviate more so. This year opponents shot 19 FTs in their own arena while in McKale, they shot an average of just 12.7. The difference for Utah? About 1 and change. UCLA? Less than one in home/road splits. Last year was about the only year it wasn’t a difference of at least four. There is something to be said about a deserved home court advantage, but once the tournament comes that advantage is gone. IMO that plays a part of their struggles.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-free-throws-attempted-per-game

On 3/29/2024 at 10:08 PM, MrBug708 said:

I should amend my statement slightly. Their average stays the same, it’s the opponents numbers who deviate more so. This year opponents shot 19 FTs in their own arena while in McKale, they shot an average of just 12.7. The difference for Utah? About 1 and change. UCLA? Less than one in home/road splits. Last year was about the only year it wasn’t a difference of at least four. There is something to be said about a deserved home court advantage, but once the tournament comes that advantage is gone. IMO that plays a part of their struggles.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-free-throws-attempted-per-game

Thanks for looking this up. It would be interesting to see if the disparity continues in the P12 tourney consistently. 

That would be an example of true bias in the P12. Not just at home. 

On 3/30/2024 at 12:43 PM, utenation said:

Yeah. I mentioned Worster here the other day. There would be a lot more chatter on Smith if it were true. 

Nothing on him yet. And I hope not. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose 3-4 guys to the portal after player meeting this coming week.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:31 PM, utenation said:

Tonight the party stops for Utah. This will be a road game for the Utes. Lol. We love the road. Indiana St by 10-12 points. 

Started to lay down in the 1st half but I like the battle back….time will tell.