P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

On 4/2/2024 at 6:46 PM, Chile_Ute said:

On to FB.  

2/3 of the game was entertaining.

Smith better bring some portal magic or time for a search.  Like the guy but need more.

Wipe out. The Huntsman Center party was over as soon as we got on the airplane. I was pretty close on my margin of victory.  I’ll tell you right now, I’m not going to be able to buy into Smith’s philosophy with such terrible defense. It’s been awful all year. 

ISU shot 57 fucking % from the field. lol.  Our free throw % as a team has also been terrible. That’s just bad coaching and lazy players. Our team can shoot jumpers. 

Great game for Deivon. Career high. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 10:36 PM, glduck said:

I cannot believe they called that on Edwards. Two biggest stars in the game and it’s decided on a screen where Edwards kinda sorta leaned in. Coulda been a classic.

Ehhhh that was pretty obvious, and UConn had gotten away with a ton of crap prior to that. You can't throw your body in front of a defender and deliver a forearm shiver. It will be terrible optics and narrative, however.

On 4/5/2024 at 11:09 PM, dtd said:

Ehhhh that was pretty obvious, and UConn had gotten away with a ton of crap prior to that. You can't throw your body in front of a defender and deliver a forearm shiver. It will be terrible optics and narrative, however.

Yeah….not a hard call to make, just unaccustomed to seeing refs NOT swallow their whistles in the last seconds.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:20 AM, Chile_Ute said:

Yeah….not a hard call to make, just unaccustomed to seeing refs NOT swallow their whistles in the last seconds.

It's a fundamental problem with sports in general when we have to argue why the right call shouldn't be made because it's a certain time of year or game. 

• Like 1

Illegal screens are like holding or pass interference on a hail mary. You look close enough you can probably find it, especially on replay, but it goes uncalled/missed so often it usually takes a blatant or jarring example to get the call. The sell is what got the call, not the lean or positioning of Edward’s shoulders. I agree it probably meets the technical definition of a foul, but I don’t think that call is made consistently enough in *any* game to blow a whistle in that situation. 

I actually loathe the call on principle. So many illegal/moving screens aren’t the post player’s fault, and I hate assessing a foul on a big man 20+ feet from the basket. Call it a turnover and move on. I know that wouldn’t have made a difference last night, UConn still would have lost possession.

But the game in toto was one of the best back and forth games….I can’t say I’ve ever said that about a woman’s game (and truly don’t mean that to sound as bad as it does).  I had no dog in the fight and I enjoyed watching the whole F-ing thing.

Iowa/SC is going to be a burner.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:32 PM, glduck said:

Two straight titles and not a single NCAA Tournament game decided by single digits. What a machine.

There're a beauty to watch.  The way UConn cuts to the basket, pulling Edey away from the action to the other side.  The way they defend against treys, even attempts at them.  The way every time Hurley calls a timeout, they come back on the floor and immediately run a set play that nails a basket.  The way they can make this all happen with different Huskie players on the floor.  This is a rare thing to watch.  Pretty close to perfection. 

On 4/8/2024 at 10:32 PM, glduck said:

Two straight titles and not a single NCAA Tournament game decided by single digits. What a machine.

And basically zero high caliber NBA players either, yet. Crazy. 

On 4/9/2024 at 12:15 AM, EastCoastFan said:

There're a beauty to watch.  The way UConn cuts to the basket, pulling Edey away from the action to the other side.  The way they defend against treys, even attempts at them.  The way every time Hurley calls a timeout, they come back on the floor and immediately run a set play that nails a basket.  The way they can make this all happen with different Huskie players on the floor.  This is a rare thing to watch.  Pretty close to perfection. 

They employed the Bill Belichick defense against Thurman Thomas in Super Bowl whatever. "If he rushes for 100 yards we win". They didn't want to lose to Jim Kelly and those receivers. UCONN did the same thing to Purdue. If Edey scores 30 we win. The length and athletic difference on the wings was crazy, and Matt Painter was like a deer in headlights. Hurley ran circles around him. Purdue made ONE 3. That's insane.