NFL GM for a day

utenation

Williams number 1 for me. So many tools, great improviser, and so fun to watch.

I would be happy with any of the others being drafted by the Seahawks, probably in this order: Maye, Penix, Nix, Daniels.  I have not seen much of Maye yet, but two bro in laws that know football both raved about him. One compared him to Andrew Luck. Penix has an elite arm, elite accuracy, and is a great leader. Nix is also a great leader, and virtually never makes mistakes. Looks like he has a durable NFL body too. Daniels might also be better than all of them. I just watched his highlights again and am not sure why i put him last. This could be a great QB class. 

Not to be captain obvious, I think all of them will be dependent on the situation they find themselves in.  I am not sure any of these QBs, as good as they have been can change a NFL Franchise. That is no knock.  Patrick Mahomes may not have had the same career if he was expected to immediately turn around a perennial loser franchise vs going to a steady franchise coached by Andy Reid.   I think the term "generational" gets thrown towards Caleb Williams too much.

To answer the question, I don't know enough about Drake Maye (I can't remember watching a UNC game).  Based on what I know, I would take Penix.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:04 PM, row Z said:

Williams number 1 for me. So many tools, great improviser, and so fun to watch.

I would be happy with any of the others being drafted by the Seahawks, probably in this order: Maye, Penix, Nix, Daniels.  I have not seen much of Maye yet, but two bro in laws that know football both raved about him. One compared him to Andrew Luck. Penix has an elite arm, elite accuracy, and is a great leader. Nix is also a great leader, and virtually never makes mistakes. Looks like he has a durable NFL body too. Daniels might also be better than all of them. I just watched his highlights again and am not sure why i put him last. This could be a great QB class. 

I would go Williams # 1 and Penix # 2.  He can make all the NFL throws with ease. I'm not as high on Daniels. 

On 1/3/2024 at 7:05 PM, win2bfree said:

Not to be captain obvious, I think all of them will be dependent on the situation they find themselves in.  I am not sure any of these QBs, as good as they have been can change a NFL Franchise. That is no knock.  Patrick Mahomes may not have had the same career if he was expected to immediately turn around a perennial loser franchise vs going to a steady franchise coached by Andy Reid.   I think the term "generational" gets thrown towards Caleb Williams too much.

To answer the question, I don't know enough about Drake Maye (I can't remember watching a UNC game).  Based on what I know, I would take Penix.

Of course there has to be talent and coaching around them. 

I haven't watched Maye play, but would go Williams, Penix, Nix then Daniels, in that order.

I think Penix has the strongest arm and maybe the best arm talent. He can make all the throws from the pocket, but is not as mobile or creative as Williams when under pressure. Williams ability to create when pressured, both by taking off running as well as scrambling around and extending plays while continuing to look downfield and make big plays after plays break down is the best I have seen, and what sets him apart. Nix is a solid, tough quarterback that makes really good decisions, but I do not think his arm talent is quite up to the others on this list. I think he will be a solid starter or backup in the NFL, but does not have the upside of the others.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:33 AM, utenation said:

Of course there has to be talent and coaching around them. 

Of course.  To clarify what I mean, I don't think there is a "surefire" bet like a Peyton Manning in this draft.  A QB that after a few growing pains will keep his team in the conversation every year as long as he is healthy and the team is not run by completely incompetent people. 

I am biased but Penix is giving me Dan Marino vibes.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, utenation said:

Your team has the # 1 pick and you need a QB. 

Who is your pick?

Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, Nix? 

Given that Chicago has the first pick, and needs a QB, Daniels is the most talented option of the names you mention, and if he remains healthy, will have (imo) a longer career (as a starter) than the other names mentioned.

Maye will probably go second to Washington.

Nix is a 2nd-to-3rd-round pick.

Penix is a 2nd-round pick (I like him with NE in the 2nd round).

Williams will probably land with Arizona, @#4

New England will probably go the free agency route to pick up a QB (I don't know why no one has made Minshew a starting QB).

Ohio State's Harrison will probably get picked by the Chargers, which would be a big addition for Herbert.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:43 AM, Mano said:

Williams ability to create when pressured, both by taking off running as well as scrambling around and extending plays while continuing to look downfield and make big plays after plays break down is the best I have seen, and what sets him apart.

There have been plenty of players with these abilities to get drafted in the NFL, and ultimately have short careers (because of the physical beatings they take).  Lamar Jackson has been an exception.

And Daniels does what you just described, better than Williams.  The difference between the two is that Daniels will stay in the pocket more.

On 1/4/2024 at 1:32 PM, utenation said:

I would go Williams # 1 and Penix # 2.  He can make all the NFL throws with ease. I'm not as high on Daniels. 

You need to go back and watch a highlight reel on Daniels.  He's the best of the bunch.

Daniels is getting the kiss of death. Well, other than getting drafted by the Bears, who should take other positions than QB right now, considering they have fired everyone but one coach on the offensive side of the ball. Can't imagine they get anyone worthwhile now. Daniels reminds me of Zach Wilson, so that can't be a great comparison. But much like  Bo Nix, getting a lot of maturity and a change of scenery did wonders to save their careers.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:52 PM, HLB said:

You need to go back and watch a highlight reel on Daniels.  He's the best of the bunch.

I see.  So the SEC troll here says I need to go watch more tape of an SEC guy? Lol. 

You’ve been wrong on 90% of the garbage you’ve posted this year. 

Everyone here knows to go bet the opposite of what you say. 

• Like 1

I don't understand the Williams love. He's incredibly wreckless, fumbles scrambling around all the time, and in the NFL you need to play on schedule. I guess he's a bigger Kyler Murray? He's still 6', and the sandlot stuff never translates. I dunno shit tho. 

• 5 weeks later...