The "Save us, Bruce" Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While just rumors, Jurgy is being linked to the England job

Is that really the best they can do?  Jurgy isn't terrible but I have a very hard time believing he's the best candidate on the market.  The Brits can get pretty much anyone they want.  

They must believe that our talent is far worse than it actually is and that he is performing miracles when we hold on for dear life against Ecuador and Paraguay.  

Does anyone follow any foreign clubs? Stateside I follow the Galaxy at various levels of interest but across the pond I am a Crystal Palace fan

During the 2006 World Cup, I was struck by how great of a player Didier Drogba was as he did all he could against two far superior teams in the Netherlands and Germany.  This was about the same time that ESPN started airing EPL games and because of Drogba, I became a Chelsea fan.  Chelsea was a fantastic team to follow for the first several years and had some incredibly talented teams but lately they have fallen on hard times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow Iceland, with a population of 330,000 people has qualified for the elimination round with a last second goal against Austria.  Iceland brought 8% of their population to France to cheer them on and has never qualified for the Euro Cup prior to this year.  They are by far the smallest nation to ever qualify.  They get a very tough game against England and get put on the insanely difficult part of the bracket.

Meanwhile, Portugal finishes 3rd in the same group, barely qualifies for the elimination round, and gets rewarded with a game against Croatia on the easy side of the bracket.  If Portugal wins this game, they could very well waltz to the finals.  Sometimes life isn't fair. 

Welp, Portugal not only waltzed to the final, they held off a French team who dominated them for most of the game and somehow scored in extra time on an amazing shot by Eder.  This was Portugal's 1st major tournament championship ever. 

• 3 months later...

Keep me posted. The fact that this thread is stickied at the top of the List is a testament to futball's popularity. I'd hate to see you enthusiasts have to search for a five pages down to find this thread each time you want to discuss something about this fascinating sport.

1 goal already and 2 off of the woodwork.  Yedlin should have started because we're slow as shit in the back now.

Green/Yedlin in the second half as subs, maybe gee Nagbe as a holding mid would have been nice now because Bradley fucking sucks tonight, but Jurgy already alienated him from the USMNT.

Archived