The "Save us, Bruce" Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's the day -- biggest soccer game for the US in a long time.  A win here would be virtually unprecedented and would have to rank as the greatest win in US soccer history.  

I thought the team had given up on Jurgy but the resiliency they have shown this entire tournament has been extremely impressive.  This tournament has also shaped the future of the US defense in the coming out tandem of Brooks and Cameron.  I was hoping this would be the tournament for Zardes to introduce himself but Brooks has been so good, I'll take it.  

We will need Brooks and Cameron to continue playing great soccer if we are to have a chance against Argentina, who has to be playing the best soccer in the world right now.  Their 4-1 pummeling over arch-rival Chile looks even more impressive after Chile obliterated a red-hot Mexican team in San Francisco no less 7-0.  Jurgy says he is going to continue to play the same aggressive style that has got us to this point but I'm not so sure he will follow up.  Argentina is way too talented and if we try to go toe-to-toe with them, we will lose 4-1 just like Chile/Venezuela did.  I'm thinking there is only one strategy here and it's to play defense, frustrate the superior opponent and look for counters when we can.  

Is this world cup?  Olympics?  Can't imagine it qualifying as being that big a game if it's neither of those.

It's far bigger than the Olympics.  Olympic soccer is a joke played by amateurs.  Copa America is a very prestigious tournament and beating Argentina in a tournament of this magnitude would constitute as a bigger win than when we beat Mexico in the World Cup knockout stages due to the caliber of opponent. 

I don't think it will be the biggest win. I think beating Spain in the Confederations Cup. Almost beat Brazil in the finals. Beating Mexico in the WCC was huge too

I was just going to bring this up.  The win over Spain and the 2-0 lead over Brazil in the finals was our biggest win to date and best performance in a tournament.   Beating Mexico was huge but I think beating Argentina -- especially if it leads to a win in the finale -- will be even bigger.  At worst, it will rank as our 3rd best win of all time. 

Argentina has played terrible up until real recently and right now their glaring lack of titles more than a decade since the Dodgers last title speaks volumes to where Argentina is right now

They've played so terribly they're the #1 ranked team by FIFA and the highest rated team according to Vegas power rankings.  

You don't think beating them would be a big deal?  

No, it would be. But you and I both know those rankings don't mean a whole lot Netherlands didnt even make Europa. Austria is #10.. But I was speaking to prior to the past 12 months. Their track record has been atrocious

Ok, how about the SPI, which "weights recent matches more heavily, and also takes into account the importance of the match, so a World Cup match counts much more than a Friendly  taking into account goals scored and allowed, quality of the lineup fielded, and the location of the match."

1. Argentina

2. Spain

3. France

4. Brazil

5. Germany

Or how about this power rankings system.  http://thepowerrank.com/world-football-soccer/

Per the Ringer - 

Other than Spain at the 2009 Confederations Cup, Argentina will be the best team the U.S. has ever played in the knockout stages of an international competition.

Everyone that writes about soccer seems to think Argentina is the best team in the world right now.  I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to prove otherwise. 

i'll watch. the timbers suck balls this year so it'll be a nice change of pace to watch some good soccer. 

My prediction is that you'll only see one team play good soccer and it won't be US. 

I've got Argentina winning 4-1. 

I just want a good game but after watching what Argetina did to Chile, I'm not optimistic.  This ain't Ecaudor or Paraguay and we barely beat those teams. 

Archived