The "Save us, Bruce" Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Euro Cup news: holy crap!

The elimination round of the Euro cup features England, France, Spain, Germany and Italy on the same side of the bracket!  This means that we are essentially guaranteed several amazing matchups including the mandatory Spain/Italy game in round of 16.  Croatia's win against Spain in the last few minutes today was huge!  Not only did they guarantee themselves in easy game in the round of 16 but they also get the winner of Poland/Switzerland, which they should win and then the toughest team they would face in the semi-finals is Portugal with a huge dropoff if there was an upset.   Quite the contrast from going through the other side of the bracket.  I've never seen anything quite like this in an elimination tournament.  One side features teams that have never won a major international competition ever, the other features all of the teams who have dominated international competition from Europe. 

In Euro Cup news: holy crap!

The elimination round of the Euro cup features England, France, Spain, Germany and Italy on the same side of the bracket! This means that we are essentially guaranteed several amazing matchups including the mandatory Spain/Italy game in round of 16. Croatia's win against Spain in the last few minutes today was huge! Not only did they guarantee themselves in easy game in the round of 16 but they also get the winner of Poland/Switzerland, which they should win and then the toughest team they would face in the semi-finals is Portugal with a huge dropoff if there was an upset. Quite the contrast from going through the other side of the bracket. I've never seen anything quite like this in an elimination tournament. One side features teams that have never won a major international competition ever, the other features all of the teams who have dominated international competition from Europe.

I assume this is a good post, i.e., as accurate as it is well written, and reflects why I never post about futbol.

I assume this is a good post, i.e., as accurate as it is well written, and reflects why I never post about futbol.

I meant to post this yesterday as all of these events transpired around noon our time.  To add to the post, Portugal is currently losing to Hungary.  If the score holds, Portugal won't even qualify for the elimination rounds and Croatia will have a friggin cakewalk to the finals.  

The games are on ESPN right now, give 'em a try. 

Somehow Iceland, with a population of 330,000 people has qualified for the elimination round with a last second goal against Austria.  Iceland brought 8% of their population to France to cheer them on and has never qualified for the Euro Cup prior to this year.  They are by far the smallest nation to ever qualify.  They get a very tough game against England and get put on the insanely difficult part of the bracket.

Meanwhile, Portugal finishes 3rd in the same group, barely qualifies for the elimination round, and gets rewarded with a game against Croatia on the easy side of the bracket.  If Portugal wins this game, they could very well waltz to the finals.  Sometimes life isn't fair. 

Hopefully Jurgy starts Pulisic and Nagbe to try and get some offense against Colombia.  I know the USA wouldn't beat Argentina, but to not even get one scoring opportunity is unacceptable and should be the end of Michael Bradley playing up in the midfield.  Put in Nagbe, drop Bradley off, and also consider sitting Dempsey and putting in Pulisic.  A solid performance up until the semis for sure, though, but Dempsey is done and Bradley played his worst international game in my memory.

Holy crap.  Iceland scores 2 goals in a row to take the lead over England.  This is turning into one of the more unbelievable sports stories in a long time.  99.99% of Iceland's market tuned into their last game according to Nielsens TV ratings.  

Holy crap.  Iceland scores 2 goals in a row to take the lead over England.  This is turning into one of the more unbelievable sports stories in a long time.  99.99% of Iceland's market tuned into their last game according to Nielsens TV ratings.  

So glad I'm working from home this afternoon.  The joy of Iceland is something to witness.

Did anybody else watch the Iceland match?  Ugh, wasn't pretty when you beat a country of 330,000 people on a late goal.

Canada tonight.  Needs to be a convincing result or I have serious doubts.  Jozy looks much lighter and faster than last time I saw him play, which is a plus.

Welp missed on that one.  Who knew?

So glad I'm working from home this afternoon.  The joy of Iceland is something to witness.

Miracle on Iceland. 

If the population of Iceland was a US county, it wouldn't rank in the top 100.  Their best player is an afterthought on a team that got relegated.  

Miracle on Iceland. 

If the population of Iceland was a US county, it wouldn't rank in the top 100.  Their best player is an afterthought on a team that got relegated.  

Jurgy's squad actually put on a good show at Copa outside of being completely outclassed by Argentina.

Change thread name to Do Blow It Hodgy?  

Hodgson just resigned as English manager. What a total disaster of a week for England.

This has to be the worst result for England in a major tournament in quite some time. The team just looked lifeless. However, Iceland played well and if they beat France in France then this loss should be judged from a different angle then "oh my god, England lost to Iceland." Iceland almost beat Portugal as well and their ability to comeback from behind against what should be superior opponents is amazing.

The worst defeat in our history. England beaten by a country with more volcanoes than professional footballers. Well played Iceland.

Forget USA 1950 - that's the most embarrassing defeat in England history. Clueless and calamitous display to haunt English football forever

Don’t let anyone kid you that England just lost to minnows. We’ve been beaten by a better team here. Iceland were magnificent.

Archived