mlb 2017

glduck

The A's bullpen is terrible so today I decided to look up just how bad they were compared to other bullpens.  Turns out, the A's are only 22nd out of 32 teams with a 4.89 ERA.  How are there 10 teams that have higher ERA's than 4.89???

There are 3 teams with 5.9 or higher bullpen ERAs and those teams are Toronto, Atlanta and Seattle.  Seattle paces the league in terrible bullpens with a 5.97 ERA.  Holy crap. 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I were at Gaylord Perry's 300th win at the Kingdome 35 years ago today against the Yankees.  We sat behind and above home plate in the Kingdome in what was marketed as "Perry's Perch".  It was also Perry's 297th complete game and came when Perry was 44 years old.  (As of 2009, Perry was the last pitcher to toss 300 complete games.  It seems logical that that is still true, but I haven't researched). Later that year Gaylord Perry surpassed Walter Johnson as baseball's all-time strike out leader, a position Walter Johnson had held for almost 60 years. I grew up a Giants fan in love with Perry and Marichal so I was really lucky that the Mariners acquired Perry for the 1982 season.   Gaylord was amazing during his 30s winning 191 games during that decade the most of anyone between ages 30 and 40. . .then he won 21 games, 25% of the Padres total wins, and picked up his second Cy Young at the age of 40.

On the final out of his 300th win, Mariner second baseman Julio Cruz took four or five steps toward first with both hands on the groundball he had just gloved.  "I was trying to find the dry side to make a throw," Cruz said. "Gaylord had so much Vaseline on the ball it was almost impossible."

it was a great day in mariner history and I had a great date who had Mariner blue eyes to share it with.

SP.jpg

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-live/30th-anniversary-gaylord-perrys-300th-win/

Other notables for Perry: he was the first picture to win Cy Young awards in both leagues and, together with his brother Jim, is the second winningest brother Combo in major league history.

6 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Perry shouldn't have to wear gloves holding his own jersey.

Yes, one can imagine far more gunk on that jersey than on his hands.  Maybe the gloves were to protect his hands?

On 5/2/2017 at 9:24 PM, MrBug708 said:

Trayce Thompson is 1 for 49 in AAA. That's epically bad for a guy who plays in the system of an MLB team with too many OF's

He looked so promising at times last year.  I even got some homeruns out of him in fantasy baseball.

With all of this Manny Machado news and pitchers throwing at batter's lately, I have a radical rule change. AL teams who throw at a batter and are elected should be subjected to a loss of the DH for the next game. Time to join real baseball and put the pitcher out there

25 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

With all of this Manny Machado news and pitchers throwing at batter's lately, I have a radical rule change. AL teams who throw at a batter and are elected should be subjected to a loss of the DH for the next game. Time to join real baseball and put the pitcher out there

I'm a big fan of the DH but I do agree with you that it's bullshit the pitchers in the AL can throw 100 mph at someone's head but don't have to face the consequences at the plate.  Then again, NL relievers are in the same boat as they very rarely step in the box. 

to the surprise of many, myself included, look no further than the mariners for an excellent DH on a more-than-warranted contract. and he actually can play the field still, the organization simply wanted more athleticism defensively.

i know we've had these arguments before. i'll simply restate mine and move along: "more strategy in the NL" really just means more stoppages in play for pitching changes. 

8 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Games in the NL are still faster with all of those changes

That's because MLB had implemented a mandatory rule that states: all Yankees/Sox games must last 4 hours or all tv revenue generated from said game will go to the Mets to help pay off Bobby Bonilla's never ending contract. 

Archived