mlb 2017

glduck

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lookout landing did a nice (well, sad) piece on his diminished change up speed last winter, too. he used to have such control over his change he could use it as a knockout pitch whenever he needed it, now it looks more like a melon slowly rolling down broadway. 

i know it's a business but until he gives the go ahead i'd hate to trade him. his loyalty in the face of such obscene franchise dysfunction should be lauded. only at his behest would i consider trading him, and hope for a nice return package of can't-miss prospects.

all of whom fail to develop of course, because we are the mariners.

i took it as a bad omen when zunino won the job outright in the spring. he's always seemed like a justin smoak clone to me, spring training heroes who no-show once the real thing ramps up.

i would take martin's 2016 production again in a heartbeat. he was a nice find. he sucked this past week, but so did everybody but segura. nelson cruz has two goddamn hits. seager has 3 (although he always starts painfully slow).

The A's sure look to have gotten a solid player from the Dodgers in the Hill and Reddick for Holmes/Cotton/some other guy trade.  Holmes was the bigger prospect but Cotton blew through AAA last year and had a very good September pitching meaningless baseball games for the A's.  He got blooped to death -- fantasy graphs had a graph about how the hardest hit of his 8 hits was clocked at 85mph -- and gave up 5 runs in his first start.  Today, he was phenomenal on the road against the Royals throwing 7 scoreless innings while only allowing two hits.  This was the Royals home opener and it was very loud, so kudos to Cotton for dealing with that. 

Also, it looks like I was dead wrong -- I'm sure you're all shocked -- when I made fun of Kendall Gravemen being our opening day starter.  He somehow gained 3 mph on his fastball and he is throwing 96, touching 97 and still has that crazy sinker working for him.  In his two starts, he has a 2.08 ERA and a .85 WHIP.  He's faced the two best hitting teams in the AL West.  Gravemen 2, All Hail 0. 

The A's sit at 4-4 and somehow don't look like complete crap despite fielding a roster of discarded players and a few young guys. 

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

And was traded because the Dodgers were unsure if he could be a viable starter

Pedro or Cotton?  To be fair regarding Cotton, Keith Law and every other expert had Grant Holmes as the better pitching prospect when the trade went down. 

7 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

That guy should probably just worry about his own bald head.  I don't get it, if I ever go bald on top, I'll just shave my head man.  It's a lot better look than trying to hold onto what little hair you have left.

1 hour ago, RogueDuck said:

That guy should probably just worry about his own bald head.  I don't get it, if I ever go bald on top, I'll just shave my head man.  It's a lot better look than trying to hold onto what little hair you have left.

As one who is bald on top, shaving would be great if you only had to do it once. I just go the number two clipper all over.all over.

first base umpire calls a line drive shot foul.

first baseman mike napoli turns to him, says something to him, and the first base umpire changes the call to an out.

seattle manager scott servais runs out and is tossed in exactly 0.9 seconds.

is life not hard enough on us without the opposing players getting to dictate outs?

Archived