Fall Camp News

Scscsc89

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2017/7/30/16067144/arizona-football-notebook-quarterback-competition-walk-ons-devaughn-cooper-chuck-cecil-injuries

Been looking for UA stuff and this article says UA has 50 newcomers this season which is quite a lot...perhaps the walk-ons got tired of Rich Rod's antics or something like that.  Still a lot of turnover and there's a good chance those players will be playing under a new coach next year.

UA and Cal will be battling it out for dead last in this conference this season.  Judging by CU's scheduling both teams at home this season, UA finishes ahead of Cal since Cal is the homecoming game for the Buffs this year.

4 minutes ago, glduck said:

BREAKING:

fat running back no longer fat.

Former Army AA guard Okun announces he's medically retired.  But the real story is he showed up way out of shape, couldn't make it through the first day and walked off.

Stanford just announced two players are no longer with the program- DL Wesley Annan and WR Paxton Segina. Both were former 3-star players that had yet to play a single snap. Details behind their departure is unknown but it is believed that both players are still enrolled at the university. 

Additional Notes:

• The two true freshmen most likely to see the field immediately are wide receiver Osiris St. Brown and running back/wide receiver Connor Wedington. Both were 4-star recruits with impressive speed and have been turning heads early in Fall camp
  • Running back Trevor Speights (FR.) was one of the standouts during Spring game and that ascension has only continued during Fall camp. Cameron Scarlett (SO.) came into the offseason as the presumptive #2 running back behind Love. But Speights is quickly proving that he's more than ready to step into that role if need be
  • It's early in camp but there's already some shuffling going on along the O-line: Dave Bright (SR.) has moved from left guard to left tackle, Casey Tucker (SR.) has moved from right tackle to right guard, and A.T. Hall (JR.) has moved from left tackle to right tackle. Bright, Nate Herbig (now left guard), and Jesse Burkett (center) are considered the only solidified starters for now; Tucker and Hall are expected to compete for their starting spots against some of the newcomers. Tucker will be competing against Brandon Fanaika (JR.) and Nick Wilson (SO.). Hall will be competing against Devery Hamilton (FR.) and our two new 5-star tackles, Walker Little (FR.) and Foster Sarell (FR.)
  • The biggest question the team has to answer before August 26th: who's going to provide depth along the defensive line? Our three starters are locked in: Dylan Jackson (SO.) at defensive end, Harrison Phillips (JR.) at nose tackle, and Eric Cotton (SR.) at defensive end. Behind them there are no immediate solutions since every other D-lineman on the roster is either a redshirt or true freshman. Michael Williams (FR.) is a name the coaches have been mentioning more and more lately. He's a former 4-star recruit from the state of Texas who has just enough size to plug up the middle at nose tackle. Alongside Williams, look for Thomas Shaffer (FR.) and Jovan Swann (FR.) to provide relief at defensive end. Last but not least, there's one more player to keep an eye on: Dalyn Wade-Perry (FR.), a 330-pound whale of a nose tackle. He's only a true freshman but he possesses the kind of size nobody else on the roster offers (minus Nate Herbig)
  • Keller Chryst's rehab appears to be coming along nicely. He's now able to perform full drop-backs and participate in non-contact drills. While it's still probable that Ryan Burns (SR.) will be our starting quarterback for Game 1 against Rice, I wouldn't be surprised if Chryst was ready to roll by the time we hit Pac-12 play (Week 2 @ USC)

10 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Must be nice opening up against Rice where the Cardinal starters can get some series in and put the game away early then look ahead to USC.

It's very convenient as a matter of fact. And perhaps the most overlooked scheduling quirk in the Pac-12. I haven't read too many preseason prognostications that have Stanford being a major threat to USC's College Football Playoff bid. The game is at the Coliseum so I'm sure many are assuming the Trojans have this one in the bag. Not that I entirely disagree either- Chryst will be back in action for the first time in nine months and I have to imagine there will be a considerable amount of rust to knock off. But from a scheduling standpoint, you can't ask for much more. A warm-up match against Rice to get everyone settled in. Two full weeks to prepare for USC. And catching the Trojans a week before the revenge game they've waited over a decade for. I've got this down in my 2017 preview as the first upset of the Pac-12 season and I wouldn't be surprised if it came to fruition.

Chase Hansen out, likely for the rest of training camp or longer. He is the only experienced guy coming back in Utah's secondary and one of the team leaders, so if he is unable to come back would be a huge blow.

1 hour ago, Card Tricks said:

It's very convenient as a matter of fact. And perhaps the most overlooked scheduling quirk in the Pac-12. I haven't read too many preseason prognostications that have Stanford being a major threat to USC's College Football Playoff bid. The game is at the Coliseum so I'm sure many are assuming the Trojans have this one in the bag. Not that I entirely disagree either- Chryst will be back in action for the first time in nine months and I have to imagine there will be a considerable amount of rust to knock off. But from a scheduling standpoint, you can't ask for much more. A warm-up match against Rice to get everyone settled in. Two full weeks to prepare for USC. And catching the Trojans a week before the revenge game they've waited over a decade for. I've got this down in my 2017 preview as the first upset of the Pac-12 season and I wouldn't be surprised if it came to fruition.

I'll admit that I might be underestimating Stanford this year since McCaffrety and Thomas have left for the NFL despite having quite a few kids back.  If the Cardinal can find playmakers like that on both sides of the ball, I can see the Cardinal beating USC this season too.

42 minutes ago, Mano said:

Chase Hansen out, likely for the rest of training camp or longer. He is the only experienced guy coming back in Utah's secondary and one of the team leaders, so if he is unable to come back would be a huge blow.

Hate reading news like that.  At least the Ute DL is loaded tho.

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/vontaze-burfict-dives-gio-bernards-knees-sparking-practice-fight-205301768.html

Sun Devil fans might be willing to give one of their nuts to see another Burfict.

I would love for someone to watch that tackle and tell me exactly what is wrong with it. Dude wrapped up exactly the way you teach kids learning to play football. Even the players on his own team thought nothing of it until he pushed the coach that came at him. I am admittedly a big Burfict fan, and I acknowledge he has made some dirty plays; but this one takes a real stretch of the imagination to find it cheap.

1 hour ago, Scummy Dick Douglas said:

I would love for someone to watch that tackle and tell me exactly what is wrong with it. Dude wrapped up exactly the way you teach kids learning to play football. Even the players on his own team thought nothing of it until he pushed the coach that came at him. I am admittedly a big Burfict fan, and I acknowledge he has made some dirty plays; but this one takes a real stretch of the imagination to find it cheap.

I think the issue was it's practice and Bernard's first live action back and they are teammates. It's a non-starter in a game

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I think the issue was it's practice and Bernard's first live action back and they are teammates. It's a non-starter in a game

I couldn't disagree more. I was watching Broncos camp the other day, and once the pads went on the defense was absolutely lighting up offensive players. Emmanuel Sanders had his head just about disconnected from his body by TJ Ward. The light contact stuff is reserved to the first couple of days when they dont wear any pads. Once the pads come on, its game on.

If Bernard was not ready for contact they wouldn't have cleared him to practice. And again, none of the players thought anything of the play. It was the confrontation with the coach that got the players fired up.

1 hour ago, Scummy Dick Douglas said:

Just saw the video...nothing to see there.  Just imagine how much loathing of ASU there would be with Graham and Burfict.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/109555/fall-camp-is-starting-but-not-all-coaches-are-happy-about-it

Some very good points by the coaches.  Five consecutive weeks of football practice without playing another team.  I didn't like two-a-days in high school but I think I would have hated going for five weeks without a game.  And the question is do those college football teams really need up to 29 practices before the season?

Archived