Fall Camp News

Scscsc89

On 8/3/2017 at 10:41 PM, RogueDuck said:

The depth chart I saw posted showed Schooler at 3rd behind Oliver and Breeze.

That's good news I suppose.  Maybe Schooler is the next Jeff Maehl at WR after converting from safety. On an even more positive front, Troy Dye, according to non-Duck fans Isaac and Suke, looks much more mature this year and Suke said he thinks Dye will be a second day NFL draft pick at LB when he's done at Oregon with maybe first-round potential.  Ducks haven't had that talented a player at LB since Kiko Alonso.  They interviewed him in person at Pac 12 media day and Suke, who is no Duck fan but was in the NFL, says Dye's frame is filling out and he should have a huge year.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, glduck said:

true freshmen jordon scott and austin faoliu (defensive line) and thomas graham (corner) all started w/ the 1's again today. 

It's nice to replace pieces from a awful D, but it sucks having to start a true Fr corner.  No matter the talent level, Fr almost always have a tough time in the PAC 12 at corner.  Vernon picked on Marshal two years ago, now he's being talked about as a 1st round pick.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:10 AM, Mano said:

Utah starting center Lo Falemaka had to be helped off the field with a "leg injury". Hoping this is not a serious injury, one of the few OL with experience coming into the season.

Ouch man...think the injury bug is taking up residence in Salt Lake City this year?

21 hours ago, glduck said:

true freshmen jordon scott and austin faoliu (defensive line) and thomas graham (corner) all started w/ the 1's again today. 

Jordon Scott pretty much has to be a star this year for Oregon to do anything other than go 5-8 to 8-5.  Lots of young players on defense but Leavitt should be able to cobble together an average defense this year.  What's the word on Pagano?

11 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Great quote from Arizona's new director of player development ...

Chuck Cecil was a badass in the NFL.  Didn't have a lot of football skills other than knocking the shit out of receivers over the middle, but he could hit.

He was making a much larger point, but most people binary thinkers won't get it. Read his whole quote, including the part about "football and school don't go together" and elite athletes go to school only because college is a requisite path to the NFL. He is 100% correct, IMO. And, of course, higher SAT scores would have a greater effect on schools that have more of these elite players.

Is Rosen talking about UCLA or college athletics as a whole when he says the people at the school only care about keeping you eligible?   

Good for Rosen.   There are several aspects of "amateur" college sports that deserve to be called for what they are -- pure self-serving bullshit.  

This has been my gripe with Cal athletics for years -- the idea of recruiting superior student athletes is merely a facade.  Cal is still in the pool, still playing the game, but is doing so with one foot in the water.  If Cal -- and to a lesser extent UCLA -- think that higher admission standards lends to their academic prestige, they couldn't be further from the truth.  There is only one school that truly balances both and that school is Stanford.  All other schools use exceptions of some kind.  The fact is, 99% of Cal's football team wouldn't be admitted anyway so why keep up the charade?  Either go full Stanford or admit you're doing this for one reason only; to exploit amateur football players and using their success to fund your bleeding athletic department.  

I sometimes wonder why I support this crap.  The worse it gets, the more I think about bowing out entirely.  There are several other sports that make me happy without weighing on my conscious.   Rosen is a hero just for raising the issue and more college football players should speak up about the lie that is amateur athletes and college football. 

Archived