It doesn’t fit anywhere else, so put it here

KUGRDON

19 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Who was the surprising guy? Donahue has long been the acknowledge leader, but he was also the coach for 20 years, so he wins by default

Correct. By comparison, Don James only coached 18 years.

By the way, the numbers in the tweet are a little misleading. According to Wikipedia, Donahue edged James in conference wins 98 to 97. In overall wins, James edged Donahue 153 to 151.    

16 hours ago, row Z said:

Correct. By comparison, Don James only coached 18 years.

By the way, the numbers in the tweet are a little misleading. According to Wikipedia, Donahue edged James in conference wins 98 to 97. In overall wins, James edged Donahue 153 to 151.    

If that's the case, they're not misleading.  They're dead wrong.

38 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Seems like chump change, $90k for a football season. At $8/beer, if they only net 25% that would be 45,000 beers sold. Wazzu fans could probably drink that much in a half against Eastern Washington.

8 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

I briefly spoke to him at the JC we attended to at the same time. I'm assumimg there is a ucla centric story I should remember too?

His breakout performance, 247 yards, 42 carries, 3 TD in a 31-29 Coug win.

Thought this was interesting ...

While the AP Poll currently lists the Top 25 teams in the nation, from 1936 to 1961 the wire service only ranked 20 teams. From 1962 to 1967 only 10 teams were recognized. From 1968 to 1988, the AP again resumed its Top 20 before expanding to the current 25 teams in 1989.

Watched it live yesterday with my kids (i am a track nerd). We figured out that the only way Georgia would not win the team title was of USC won the 4x4. USC was not the favorite for that race. USC got the baton down 15-20 yards maybe? USC was still way out of the lead with a 1/2 lap to go. We started screaming as she closed down the home stretch. Amazing/electric close by USC. The mile relay is often crazy and fun, but you won’t see many better than that, especially given that it clinched the team title by one point. Congrats to USC.

amazing way to close Hayward Field before the rebuild. 

Also, there was enough contact on USC’s inside pass on the first turn of the final leg i think there was a chance the protest could be upheld.  Would not have wanted to be the judges on that. I think they made the right call.

Final thought: one way to make to make track more popular would be to allow gambling on races like that. You see the pandemonium with no money on the line. Imagine having money on USC. Would every bit as exciting as a horse race, IMO.