Sports Pet Peeves

Scscsc89

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

When a broadcaster working a game uses the pronoun “We” when referring to one of the teams.

listening to you, ASU radio dudes

Doesn’t bother me on school broadcast networks.  Does bother me on ESPN and the like.

announcers when one team has a high-profile player but a player from an opposing team has a nice play. the year lamichael james won the doak walker all i heard each time an opponent’s running back ripped a long run or scored a touchdown: “WHO’S THE HEISMAN CANDIDATE NOW??”

Another one is when 2-3 dudes in the front row of a section decide they want to stand  through an entire game — even though they don’t have to.   But it forces the rest of the section to either stand or get in a game-long yelling match with them.

Invariably, one of them will retort, “If you were real fans, you’d want to stand too.”

pricks

7 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I’ve heard the Cubs and Padres teams do it too.   Bush league

Not disagreeing just to disagree.  But I expect it and doesn’t bother me when a network is predominantly serving the fan base unlike a national network broadcast.

4 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Another one is when 2-3 dudes in the front row of a section decide they want to stand  through an entire game — even though they don’t have to.   But it forces the rest of the section to either stand or get in a game-long yelling match with them.

Invariably, one of them will retort, “If you were real fans, you’d want to stand too.”

pricks

I agree with this one but hate the folks who are screaming to sit down on critical 3rd downs etc.  I buy my tickets on the “student side” of the field for this reason.  Hate sitting with the blue hairs.

Though less a problem today with all the back channels and internet but still:  I hate it when one game has a score of 45-7 with 10 minutes left and another game has a back and forth match (21-17, then 24-21, then 28-24, then 31-28 etc) and the network stays with the 45-7 game and doesn't switch to Bonus Coverage until the 45-7 game is over,  showing us only the last 50 seconds or so of the barn burner game.  This even occurs when the 45-7 game is of no geographic or any other interest to the market that it is being televised on.

Archived