Dan Guerrero is retiring!

MrBug708

29 minutes ago, utenation said:

Let me make it more simple. Harlan would probably be a huge upgrade for your pathetic athletic department. 

UCLA fans acting like they can pick and chose given your current train wreck is laughable.

The more you talk, the more I'm convinced you dont understand the role of an athletic director is at UCLA or Stanford, and to a lesser degree USC and Cal. 

But it still doesn't mask your God awful and irrelevant answer to what I said about Mark Harlan. I know when I post something, both your face and butt probably make the same puckering noise and you lose all sense of logic, relevance, and on-topic ability and start spouting off about things that aren't said.

I'll let you not act like a twat and give you a second chance to respond and I'll ignore your obnoxious bravado, that you are characteristically displaying, and maybe I can speak to you like the adult the state says you should be. Or you can continue prance around like a idiot and I won't continue to waste the time or crayons trying to explain to you what was said.

So I'll say again:

We might as well close up shop if we hire Harlan. He might be the only guy more despised in the AD than DG was.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Names that have been mentioned are Fresno State athletic director Terry Tumey, UNLV athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois, and current UCLA Senior Associate Athletic Director Josh Rebholz. Both Tumey and DRF are UCLA grads and Rebholz has been the right hand man for DG for a few years now, since Harlan left.

2 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

The more you talk, the more I'm convinced you dont understand the role of an athletic director is at UCLA or Stanford, and to a lesser degree USC and Cal. 

But it still doesn't mask your God awful and irrelevant answer to what I said about Mark Harlan. I know when I post something, both your face and butt probably make the same puckering noise and you lose all sense of logic, relevance, and on-topic ability and start spouting off about things that aren't said.

I'll let you not act like a twat and give you a second chance to respond and I'll ignore your obnoxious bravado, that you are characteristically displaying, and maybe I can speak to you like the adult the state says you should be. Or you can continue prance around like a idiot and I won't continue to waste the time or crayons trying to explain to you what was said.

So I'll say again:

We might as well close up shop if we hire Harlan. He might be the only guy more despised in the AD than DG was.

I agree close up shop. UCLA Is just destroying our SOS in money sports. Especially since their fans have such a false sense of potential leaders.

BTW, remind me what you told everyone about Chip’s hire a few years ago.

8 hours ago, utenation said:

Btw bug, I’m well aware why UCLA fans don’t like Mark.

i just don’t think UCLA fans are    very qualified to determine what’s good or not. 

You guys will just run the next guy out of town no matter what.

You certainly have a good handle on the pulse of UCLA. If there is one thing we have been known for, is for firing guys too quickly. Especially in the AD, where this guy retiring went 17 years, the last guy 19 years and we have a guy in our history who went longer than Chris Hill did at Utah. I mean 6 ADs in 100 years but now suddenly, without any prior history, UCLA will "run the next guy out of town no matter what". We did have that one AD who only went 4 years as AD before retiring, but he also only worked for the AD for 20 years himself. But sure, it sounds totally plausible that UCLA will suddenly be known as the program that doesn't keep their ADs or coaches for long enough.

I just don't think Utah fans are very qualified to determine what's good or not about UCLA. 

I'm glad you are "aware". Google is a valuable resource to many people.

12 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Names that have been mentioned are Fresno State athletic director Terry Tumey, UNLV athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois, and current UCLA Senior Associate Athletic Director Josh Rebholz. Both Tumey and DRF are UCLA grads and Rebholz has been the right hand man for DG for a few years now, since Harlan left.

So it seems like only California based people are qualified for the UCLA and USC jobs?  Aren't the alumni of USC & UCLA fans spread out across the country and the world or a high number of them concentrated in California?  I get connections are important but why not make one heck of an AD hire that would rejuvenate the fanbase?  I would think USC and UCLA fans would love a jolt of energy with an excellent AD hire.

10 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

So it seems like only California based people are qualified for the UCLA and USC jobs?  Aren't the alumni of USC & UCLA fans spread out across the country and the world or a high number of them concentrated in California?  I get connections are important but why not make one heck of an AD hire that would rejuvenate the fanbase?  I would think USC and UCLA fans would love a jolt of energy with an excellent AD hire.

UCLA runs differently. It's a UC school system program and they, right or wrong, treat the softball program the same as the women's cross country program we the football program. DG is seen outside as a failure. Within UCLA, he's considered a huge success within due to something like 35 titles won during his tenure. It's not a California specific thing but obviously there will be California ties because UCLA is located in the state. For a while Gene Bleymaier was considered the heir apparent but that hasn't been for a few years now and he's about the same age as DG and semi-retired.

Why are we letting him stay so long. Oh silly me women's gymnastics and softball are still to come so he can rack up more credits to his BS Legacy. He should have been fired years ago but the administration  was and is to chicken to pull the trigger. If it was not for the Pac 12 network money he would have been fired for an empty Pauley and an empty Rose Bowl. The man is only a legend in his own mind.

17 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Truth is now we need to do a real search, not like DG did for the football and bball coaches. We need a winner and no one on the DG staff should be left.

11 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

UCLA runs differently. It's a UC school system program and they, right or wrong, treat the softball program the same as the women's cross country program we the football program. DG is seen outside as a failure. Within UCLA, he's considered a huge success within due to something like 35 titles won during his tenure. It's not a California specific thing but obviously there will be California ties because UCLA is located in the state. For a while Gene Bleymaier was considered the heir apparent but that hasn't been for a few years now and he's about the same age as DG and semi-retired.

Not much the average UCLA fan can do it seems and that got to be frustrating since it's the college system that runs things these days.  On the other hand, it's nice to have other successful athletic programs but nothing beats being the conference champs if not national champs for football & basketball.

Still best of luck on the new AD for Bruin fans including you.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, Jalapeno said:

To be fair, the gap between first place in the Pac-12 South and last place in the Pac-12 really isn't that great so you can't fault UCLA fans for being optimistic every year.  They could go on an epic run and win the South this year.  Since every South team has been to the Pac-12 CCG, anything goes in the South division.

There's a big gap.  And any season with more than one UCLA win will be a major accomplishment.

10 hours ago, Scorcho said:

I don't think anyone could have known Chip Kelly would be a bad hire, and he still might figure things out.  Not sure I'd blame Guerrero on that one.   

I also like the basketball hire.  Cronin seems to be similar to Altman or Hopkins.    

I think a lot of people knew CK was a bad hire.

Archived