Utes Have Zero Chance

Chad Sexington

Got to give Whittingham all the credit for keeping an eye on the big picture.  When he benched Senior Troy Williams in favor of Sophomore Tyler Huntley in 2017, he did it with a year like this in mind.  Even if Troy may have been worth an extra win or two at the time (and that's a big maybe), getting the Ute program in this position was far more important.  Same thing back in 2012, when he benched Jon Hayes for true Freshman Travis Wilson.  Utah could probably gone to a middling bowl with Hayes, they took a step back to build up PAC 12 depth and were winning 9-10 games when Wilson was an upper classman.

At the time of Utah's arrival you could divide the PAC 10 into four classes

Have Nots (teams that never win it or if they do it is shared and they don't go to the Rose Bowl) - Cal, OSU, Arizona

Blue Moons (teams that win it once in a while when all the stars align and slip into the Rose Bowl) - ASU, WSU, Stan (Stanford and UCLA have flipped during the PAC 12 Era)

Bourgeois (teams capable of winning mutlitple titles in a short period) - Ore, UW, UCLA

Dynasty (when it going it is almost unstoppable) - USC

Just winning it once will remove Utah from the Have Not level and open the doors to moving up the ladder. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

AI think if both UO and Utah win out, either one of them will make the playoff over UGA.  Why?  UO was ahead of Auburn in a neutral site game and Utah's lone loss was to USC on the road and a game they certainly could have won.  UGA's loss was at home against South Carolina.  Not a good loss in comparison.  UGA also beat Auburn by a TD so it could be argued that either P12 team can beat UGA so why not give the P12 a chance?

Either UGA will have a 2nd loss and be eliminated or they will be a 12-1 SEC Champion with wins over Notre Dame, Auburn (UO was ahead, UGA stayed ahead) and #1 LSU.

Georgia winning out would not be good for the Pac 12 champ, as I believe at this point LSU has clinched a CFP spot, and there is no way in hell they would leave out the SEC champ.

Fortunately, I think the odds do not favor them doing so.

1 hour ago, Quack 12 said:

Unfortunately, I think Oklahoma winning out would also be bad for the Pac-12 Champ.

I think we will see tonight how they view Oklahoma.. They beat a ranked Baylor team by the skin of their teeth and had to come back to do it.. Compared to two Pac 12 teams that crushed bad opponents...

Here's a factor that I think has played out so far in the rankings.. The Committee had every chance to move Minny and Baylor ahead of Utah and Oregon when they were both undefeated and they didn't. They had every chance to move a 1 loss OU team ahead too.. I think the committee is giving some weight to wanting western representation in the playoffs. Even in bye weeks, both Oregon and Utah didn't get jumped by OU..

I think they feel that OU is shaky with a bad defense. Style points matter and both Utah and Oregon are doing their job.

Tonight will tell me a lot about the above.

17 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Also, Utah is better than Oklahoma. I’ve said it since Week 3 and I’ll say it again. Utah is better than Oklahoma. 

I didn't believe this in week 3, but I believe it now.  Kudos on that call.  OU just looks very inconsistent, especially on D.

16 minutes ago, Orange said:

I didn't believe this in week 3, but I believe it now.  Kudos on that call.  OU just looks very inconsistent, especially on D.

The BigXII doesn’t play defense. They haven’t for three years running. 
Utes are bigger, stronger, faster and have superior QB play. Same goes for Oregon. Either team would win that league. USC and Washington probably would too, or at least be competitive.

16 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

The BigXII doesn’t play defense. They haven’t for three years running. 
Utes are bigger, stronger, faster and have superior QB play. Same goes for Oregon. Either team would win that league. USC and Washington probably would too, or at least be competitive.

The only thing that could separate OU from Utah is depth, but even then, Whittingham's coaching seems to make up for it this year.

6 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

Also, Utah is better than Oklahoma. I’ve said it since Week 3 and I’ll say it again. Utah is better than Oklahoma. 

Looks like my question above was answered.  If the committee didn’t value OU beating Baylor enough now, they certainly won’t in the B12 championship. 

I think we’re in good shape. If both Oregon and Utah are 11-1.

14 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Pretty decent twitter thread here.

If Bama is 12-1, they would probably be ahead Oregon because of Auburn plus only loss to #1 team.  Utah may have an argument, plus they could benefit from Bama fatigue with the committee looking for new blood.

6 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

If Bama is 12-1, they would probably be ahead Oregon because of Auburn plus only loss to #1 team.  Utah may have an argument, plus they could benefit from Bama fatigue with the committee looking for new blood.

Like Chad said, in order for Alabama to get to 12-1 LSU has to lose twice. I believe a 12-1 PAC-12 champ would finish ahead of a 11-1 Alabama without a conference championship and without a win against a top 10 team.

Archived