Should Pac-12 go to 8 conference games?

Scscsc89

Should Pac-12 go to 8 conference games?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pac-12 go to 8 conference games?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know / Don't Care

23 hours ago, Mano said:

Unless all P5 champions are given an automatic berth into playoffs,  they should all be playing by the same scheduling rules.

This.

It would be competitively perfect, but not if other conferences are greasing their path to the playoff.

If we go to eight games, that might force a move of CU & Utah to the North and Cal & Stanford to the South.  That might not be a bad thing because each North school would most likely have one trip to California for recruiting purposes.  I don't think that is going to happen and we'll just go to 10 games without divisions.  Fox and Disney will demand a renegotiation of our media rights and that might not be a good deal for us in the short term.  Name me one conference that cut the number of conference games in football and was better off as a result.

As a Buff fan, I have been through two 12 team conferences with divisions and neither has worked out for the conference as a whole because one division was always stronger than the other.  You are seeing the same problems with the B1G East versus West.  The SEC West has looked stronger than the SEC East as well.  I'm in support of abolishing the Pac-12 divisions and going as one conference.  The nice thing is that struggling programs could get a lighter conference schedule than the strong programs which would get harder conference schedules.  If the strong team does very well in conference, perhaps it will be enough to convince the CFP committee to take a Pac-12 team.

This could be all fixed in an instant if automatic berths are put in place for the CFP and that means we will need to go to a eight team playoff.  The CFP committee would determine the last three teams in and there would be a cap of two teams from one conference.  I would prefer a 16 team playoff with 10 automatic berths which means all conferences would get one automatic berth and the CFP committee would determine which six teams would get in.  But CFB thrives on controversy so getting those automatic berths for all conferences might never happen. 

I know I'm a solo voice on this subject, but if it were up to me, I'd have the Pac-12 go to an eleven game in-conference schedule, with the one out-of-conference game against either a B1G team or Notre Dame.  Big time.  Serious. 

It would give us the most exciting schedule in the country, juice up attendance, increase our contracted media dollars, and tell the world that we take the game seriously every week.  As for the national playoff, it'll almost assuredly go to eight teams next year with all cash-starved P5 conferences guaranteed at least one slot, the move taken to help pay for athletic department Covid-losses, so it won't be the big deal some think is is. 

While Bama is playing Western Carolina and Clemson faces The Citadel, we'll have Stanford vs Oregon and USC against Washington.  I know it's a whole different way of looking at things, but dropping to eight conference games and adding another Northern Arizona or Cal Poly doesn't do anything for us as soon as P5 conferences get an automatic berth -- which will happen.

29 minutes ago, EastCoastFan said:

I know I'm a solo voice on this subject, but if it were up to me, I'd have the Pac-12 go to an eleven game in-conference schedule, with the one out-of-conference game against either a B1G team or Notre Dame.  Big time.  Serious. 

It would give us the most exciting schedule in the country, juice up attendance, increase our contracted media dollars, and tell the world that we take the game seriously every week.  As for the national playoff, it'll almost assuredly go to eight teams next year with all cash-starved P5 conferences guaranteed at least one slot, the move taken to help pay for athletic department Covid-losses, so it won't be the big deal some think is is. 

While Bama is playing Western Carolina and Clemson faces The Citadel, we'll have Stanford vs Oregon and USC against Washington.  I know it's a whole different way of looking at things, but dropping to eight conference games and adding another Northern Arizona or Cal Poly doesn't do anything for us as soon as P5 conferences get an automatic berth -- which will happen.

This would be great IF the conference champion were assured a spot in the playoffs. Once the playoffs expand and all P5 Champs are guaranteed a spot, I'm all for it.

I would say 9 over 8 because not only is it better inventory for the networks and fans to watch, ultimately it doesn't matter in terms of playoffs.  Great teams (1991 UW or 2004 USC) are going to win all their games and teams that are really good but not quite ready to be great (1990 UW or 2003 USC) will lose to a 5-6 UCLA or 8-6 Cal type team, even with an 8 game schedule.  Do you think last year's LSU, Clemson, or Ohio State played an extra conference game (against an opponent from the weaker division in each case) it would have made a difference? 

Archived