2016-17 Basketball Coaching Carousel

ExplorerSunDevil

The one thought I first had when Alford to Indiana rumors began to swirl was: "Isnt he too old to be starting over at a high expectation program like Indiana?" But then I looked around for any similar moves to one Alford might be about to make and found a couple that I was intrigued by.

Roy Williams was 52 years old when he left Kansas for North Carolina in 2003

Dana Altman was 51 years old when he left Creighton for Oregon in 2010

Mike Anderson was 51 years old when he left Missouri for Arkansas in 2011(Yes, he hasnt gotten the program far in the tournament yet, but he'll get there eventually)

****** Alford is 52 years old right now, with possibly the biggest job offer of his lifetime coming his way within the next month

For Anderson, Altman and Williams, their early 50s seems to have been the time that they got that "Job of their dreams" phone call.

My point is, if I was going to say that ****** Alford was too old to win or rebuild a program at Indiana, I would look very hypocritical.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back when ASU was nose diving to the basement of the PAC12 under Herb Sendek(2010-2012) I had suggested on another forum and maybe even this forum that if the ASU hoops job came open at that time, then ASU should have considered Scott Sutton, because he would be an. "outside the box" type of hire.

On 3/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, glduck said:

does randy bennett interview poorly, or is he just happy where he is? i'm surprised he hasn't been plucked by now.

^This is exactly what I questioned and assumed about Scott Sutton. "Maybe he just doesnt interview well?" After 18 seasons, I saw that Sutton is STILL at Oral Roberts.

I mean, you are the son of a LEGEND in Eddie Sutton, you have done very well at an obscure private school that has an AD operating on essentially a junior college budget and you are still there?! After 18 years?! What Gives?

His career just doesnt make any logical sense to me lol

Bennett could have left, but hasn't wanted to.  Look I get all the reasons to leave, but at Saint Mary's he won't ever be fired, he has an easy path to the tourney and low pressure from alum.  Maybe he will take the Cal job, but I'd doubt he takes any others at this point.

19 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I'm guessing Cuse was rethinking things after his unimpressive time as intern HC.

That is possible, but it is not the sense I am getting from how sad 'Cuse fans are at losing Hopkins. They seem genuinely surprised and concerned. Also, Boeheim just signed an extension. I think Hopkins was going to the guy, and just didn't want to wait anymore.

boeheim seems like the kind of prick who wants to stick it to the ncaa and get to 1000 wins (i think he's right around 900 w/ the vacated games?). since 'cuse isn't exactly a 30-win annual juggernaut these days, that could take 4-5 years.

Archived