Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

13 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

coffee lol GIF

I don't think you can pin this on the league and the TV deal. According to the Equity in Athletics website, MSU's revenue from football was around $77.9M in 2018-2019, compared to CU's $45M. OTOH, Oregon's revenue was over $70M, and UO has a smaller student body than either CU or MSU (and yeah, it also has a sugar daddy.) As mentioned earlier, I just don't think CU is all that committed to football.

CU had a nearly $100M athletics budget so affording a decent pay raise from Tucker was doable.  The problem?  Tucker's agent didn't give CU a chance to counter the offer that MSU offered Tucker.

Throw agents into the mix of those matters.

If CU wasn't committed to football, Rick George wouldn't have resigned his executive position with the MLB's Texas Rangers to come to Boulder.  Nor would CU have pumped about $200M into facilities.  It's easy to question whether anyone's school is committed to a sport due to apathetic administration.

When it comes to UO, they can't just say no to Uncle Phil.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coach before Tad Boyle made a similar move that Mel Tucker did which led to the arrival of Tad Boyle.  That has turned out great for CU fans.

If that means CU gets their Kirk Frenetz, good & consistent but not great, I'd be a happy man.

13 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

EB has earned a shot at a HC spot in the pros.

Or HC spot for the Buffs.

He's coming off a Super Bowl Championship for the Chiefs and being associated with the name of Patrick Mahomes couldn't make it any easier to walk into a recruit's living room.

CU has a nice core of young RBs and EB coached Adrian Peterson and Jammal Charles to solid careers in the NFL.  What's not to like about that?

The question is who will his coordinators be?  He can certainly bring some KC Chiefs offense concepts to Boulder as well.

6 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

CU had a nearly $100M athletics budget so affording a decent pay raise from Tucker was doable.  The problem?  Tucker's agent didn't give CU a chance to counter the offer that MSU offered Tucker.

6 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

so your argument is that Larry Scott should do something so that CU has the chance to over-pay for an overrated coach too?

1 hour ago, Scscsc89 said:

so your argument is that Larry Scott should do something so that CU has the chance to over-pay for a overrated coach too?

No way CU should have ever matched this deal.  While tucker could be really good, this is too much for an unknown.  

The only thing Larry Scott has to address is the disparity in payouts for the tv deals.

48 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

No way CU should have ever matched this deal.  While tucker could be really good, this is too much for an unknown. 

Yes

48 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

The only thing Larry Scott has to address is the disparity in payouts for the tv deals.

fodder for a different thread but I'd love to hear your ideas on how you think he should do this.

14 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Yes

fodder for a different thread but I'd love to hear your ideas on how you think he should do this.

I’m aware not a lot can be done until 2024, but this will be huge.  There have been a lot of bad bets (pac 12 network for instance) that have not  paid off.

18 minutes ago, row Z said:

Possible CU coaching candidates, per the Athletic:  Eric Bienemy; Vance Joseph; Ryan Walters; Ken Niumatalolo; Bryan Harsin; Troy Calhoun; Jim McElwain; Darrin Chiaverini; Butch Jones; Tim DeRuyter; Mark Helfrich

Bienemy: Tucker was hired for his recruiting and EB wouldn't be any different.

Vance Joseph: I can't see this ending well like with the Broncos.

Ryan Walters: Check back in 5-10 years.

Navy Triple Option guy: I would be interested but I don't think CU will be going that way.

Bryan Harsin: CU fans do not want to touch fake blue grass school ever again.

Troy Calhoun: I think he's an AFA lifer.

McElwain: Hope that NYPD cop doesn't dry hump Ralphie.

Chiaverini: He earned a shot at the job with his recruiting.

Butch Jones: Hiding behind a food cart does leave lasting memories.

DeRuyter: How old is he again?

Helfrich: He had a home in nearby Lyons.  Not HC material tho.

1 hour ago, RogueDuck said:

I agree 100%.  But for whatever reason, I don't want to speculate, he can't get an interview.  

I don’t think it’s just EB but the NFL in general has decided not to follow the Rooney rule as well as they did in the past.  I do believe in diversity and I think we are drifting away from that in today’s political environment in this country.  I’m just going by how I feel without looking at the facts.  We can discuss in that on the politics board.

5 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Bienemy: Tucker was hired for his recruiting and EB wouldn't be any different.

Vance Joseph: I can't see this ending well like with the Broncos.

Ryan Walters: Check back in 5-10 years.

Navy Triple Option guy: I would be interested but I don't think CU will be going that way.

Bryan Harsin: CU fans do not want to touch fake blue grass school ever again.

Troy Calhoun: I think he's an AFA lifer.

McElwain: Hope that NYPD cop doesn't dry hump Ralphie.

Chiaverini: He earned a shot at the job with his recruiting.

Butch Jones: Hiding behind a food cart does leave lasting memories.

DeRuyter: How old is he again?

Helfrich: He had a home in nearby Lyons.  Not HC material tho.

Driving a hard bargain, I see. Well, good for you. Its only the head coach of your favorite college football program. 

11 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I don’t think it’s just EB but the NFL in general has decided not to follow the Rooney rule as well as they did in the past.  I do believe in diversity and I think we are drifting away from that in today’s political environment in this country.  I’m just going by how I feel without looking at the facts.  We can discuss in that on the politics board.

That, and the fact Reed calls the plays in KC.  

Archived