week two: the sequel is never better

glduck

1/4

arizona state (12-1) @ colorado (8-6) -- 5:30

arizona (11-3) @ utah 10-3 -- 6:00

ucla (11-3) @ stanford (6-8) -- 7:00

usc (10-5) @ cal (7-7) -- 7:30

these games are staggered so well i can't believe i'm looking at a pac-12 schedule. 

1/5

oregon (11-4) @ oregon state (9-5)

1/6

arizona @ colorado -- 11:00 

washington (11-4) @ washington state (8-6) -- 1:00

ucla @ cal -- 3:30

1/7

arizona state @ utah -- 5:00

usc @ stanford -- 7:00

4 hours ago, All Hail said:

Cal is 1-0 in conference play, the only time all season Cal will be above .500

Yeah, we had our day in the sun after we beat Colorado.  Currently 1-1, and probably not returning to .501+ anytime this year.

i think you beat oregon tomorrow. we're prone to extended scoring droughts and if just one of your players can hit a three our strategy seems to involve the false notion that the same player can't shoot again for the rest of the game. we've had some guys go OFF on us this year, and we seem to enjoy standing around and watching them do it.

game is in corvallis, bad medicine. 

Not a great year for the Pac-12:

The good news:  ASU is over-performing, and a great story (let's hope it continues for our league); Arizona might be over their early haphazard play; UCLA looks like a tourney team, but also one that disappears; Utah is a nice surprise, once again showing that coaching counts.

The up-and-down news:  USC, supposedly top ten, hasn't found themselves; Oregon has talent, but no consistency; Washington is another team showing that coaching really counts, but they may only go so far.

The not-so-good news:  The Bay Area schools haven't looked this bad for a long time; and Washington State, Colorado, and Oregon State will struggle for wins, even at home.

Very surprised about the Bay Area spreads:

UCLA -3.5 over Stanford - They will crush the Furds

USC -6.5 at Cal - Unless USC is horrible, they should steamroll us at home.  Cal's only decent play has come on the road for some reason.  Cal has lost their last few home games by 20+ to Central Arkansas and Portland State.  Just how bad is USC? 

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Yeah, we had our day in the sun after we beat Colorado.  Currently 1-1, and probably not returning to .501+ anytime this year.

I'll pick OS over the Ducks tomorrow night.  Also, it seems weird having this game on a Friday night, but maybe that changed at some point and I forgot about it.

12 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Very surprised about the Bay Area spreads:

UCLA -3.5 over Stanford - They will crush the Furds

USC -6.5 at Cal - Unless USC is horrible, they should steamroll us at home.  Cal's only decent play has come on the road for some reason.  Cal has lost their last few home games by 20+ to Central Arkansas and Portland State.  Just how bad is USC? 

Not traditionally a strong road team

17 hours ago, PapaG said:

I'll pick OS over the Ducks tomorrow night.  Also, it seems weird having this game on a Friday night, but maybe that changed at some point and I forgot about it.

I'll take the ducks by double-digits.

Thank you Prince? Thank you Alford for one of the worst coaching performances since you arrived. Prince most players get credit for Their Big Hearts. You it is your throat. Missing 2 free throws that could have locked the game up and then your horrible D on the last three pointer. Please take another red shirt year. All those clear the court and let Aaron do one on ones. He is good but that was ridiculous. He played not to lose, not to win.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:14 AM, Orange said:

I'll take the ducks by double-digits.

I should have bet you on it.  This year is going to be Altman's biggest challenge.  No upper-classmen who grew up in the program.  Players transfer for a reason, and clearly the seniors on this team aren't buying into what Dana wants them to do.

yeah, just one of those years where it doesn’t look like it’ll come together. we seem to have a team full of second and third options and no one capable of consistently stepping up. our offense is mediocre at best, and unfortunately we don’t play good enough team defense to overcome it. 

no hate on altman here (not that anyone is, or should). it was as big of a rebuilding job as anyone could undertake, and the resulting product just isn’t that hot. maybe they can still turn it around a bit and do something in the nit and, hopefully, return a strong core to go along with the incoming class.

unfortunately it’s going to get worse in the short term: we trip to the desert next week, meaning we are staring down the barrel of a 1-4 conference start.

31 minutes ago, glduck said:

yeah, just one of those years where it doesn’t look like it’ll come together. we seem to have a team full of second and third options and no one capable of consistently stepping up. our offense is mediocre at best, and unfortunately we don’t play good enough team defense to overcome it. 

no hate on altman here (not that anyone is, or should). it was as big of a rebuilding job as anyone could undertake, and the resulting product just isn’t that hot. maybe they can still turn it around a bit and do something in the nit and, hopefully, return a strong core to go along with the incoming class.

unfortunately it’s going to get worse in the short term: we trip to the desert next week, meaning we are staring down the barrel of a 1-4 conference start.

I think the rebuilding job would have gone well had the freshman lived up to the hype.  There's not much Altman can do to change the fact that Troy Brown is nowhere close to the 1-and-done NBA player Oregon fans thought he would be.  Altman gets the most out of his players so I can only wonder what Troy Brown would look like at Arizona, Cal, Stanford, USC or UCLA. 

Archived