2019 Transfers

Scscsc89

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/12/2019 at 7:47 PM, Card Tricks said:

False. There's some really bad blood brewing between the coaching staff and the locker room. Not quite mutiny status but it ain't good.

Stay tuned... many more to come from what I'm hearing.

Spill the beans. Other people keep repeating that there's a new academic policy that no longer guarantees athletes entrance into graduate programs and that the exodus is nothing more than a bunch of smart guys who graduated with eligibility remaining wanting to go to grad school somewhere.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:27 PM, dtd said:

Spill the beans. Other people keep repeating that there's a new academic policy that no longer guarantees athletes entrance into graduate programs and that the exodus is nothing more than a bunch of smart guys who graduated with eligibility remaining wanting to go to grad school somewhere.

Increasing the difficulty of our graduate admissions for student athletes would be far too self-defeating of a policy for Stanford to realistically adopt (and that's coming from a program that doesn't allow for Spring OVs!). From everything I've been hearing, this has NOTHING to do with academics.

There has been a growing rift between the locker room and the coaching staff/Shaw for the past few seasons. Last year, we had all but two (!!) seniors either transfer out or retire. We were assured that there were very legitimate reasons for each departure and thus it was dismissed as a one-off anomaly. Now, we're witnessing the same thing for the second straight offseason and there's no two ways about it: Shaw's losing this locker room.

It started with the abrupt firing of our long time S&C coach, Shannon Turley, in 2018. The players weren't happy about it and the reasoning behind it was completely absurd. Now that the injuries and losses are piling up at previously unseen rates, the players are jumping ship at the earliest opportunity. Even players that are penciled in as starters are no longer safe from the transfer portal. And the one's with any hint of NFL aspirations? They're as good as gone the moment they're become eligible.

Rough times on the Farm indeed....

40 minutes ago, Card Tricks said:

Stanford ILB Andrew Pryts just entered the transfer portal. 

That now makes 13 Stanford players that have entered the transfer portal, including 4 starters (Hattis, Swann, Williams, and Pryts).

What is going on there?  Is Shaw totally checked out at this point?  I always considered him overrated and inherited a great situation.  It just took him longer to Helfrich the program than it did at UO after Chip left for the Eagles.  So he’s not Helfrich-bad, at least.

25 minutes ago, PapaG said:

What is going on there?  Is Shaw totally checked out at this point?  I always considered him overrated and inherited a great situation.  It just took him longer to Helfrich the program than it did at UO after Chip left for the Eagles.  So he’s not Helfrich-bad, at least.

From what I've heard there's a concerning rift developing between the coaching staff and the players.

In 2018 Stanford fired it's longtime S&C coach, Shannon Turley, for reasons that many would consider overly PC. The players were very upset by this and 20+ season-ending injuries later, their dissatisfaction appears to have been warranted.

At the end of the day, however, it's as simple as this: our football program has been trending downward for years and the players are finally starting to notice. Shaw appears completely impermeable to change (hence declaring that he would be retaining his entire coaching staff before his 4-8 season even concluded) and it doesn't surprise me that the players would rather invest their 5th years in coaching staffs that offer them a greater level of confidence. If there's one thing I've come to learn about David Shaw, it's that he's far more concerned with running a program "his way" than running a winning program.

And if my information is correct then we've still got another 2-3 names left to be added to the transfer portal.

37 minutes ago, Card Tricks said:

From what I've heard there's a concerning rift developing between the coaching staff and the players.

In 2018 Stanford fired it's longtime S&C coach, Shannon Turley, for reasons that many would consider overly PC. The players were very upset by this and 20+ season-ending injuries later, their dissatisfaction appears to have been warranted.

At the end of the day, however, it's as simple as this: our football program has been trending downward for years and the players are finally starting to notice. Shaw appears completely impermeable to change (hence declaring that he would be retaining his entire coaching staff before his 4-8 season even concluded) and it doesn't surprise me that the players would rather invest their 5th years in coaching staffs that offer them a greater level of confidence. If there's one thing I've come to learn about David Shaw, it's that he's far more concerned with running a program "his way" than running a winning program.

And if my information is correct then we've still got another 2-3 names left to be added to the transfer portal.

Just read your previous post.  Staff is too rigid for today’s players, it seems?

41 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I was just thinking about how Oregon would replace Herbert. If his injury showed anything about Cristobal, they might need the Dana Altman transfer strategy to get a QB in place.

What injury? He broke his collarbone in 2017, under Taggart, but he hasn't missed significant time since then. I think he hurt his shoulder in the 2018 Civil War, and he's been banged around a couple of times this year, but nothing too serious. 

Shough has looked decent in very limited snaps, but I think overall it's more lack of experience than lack of talent, like it was under Helfrich.

3 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

What injury? He broke his collarbone in 2017, under Taggart, but he hasn't missed significant time since then. I think he hurt his shoulder in the 2018 Civil War, and he's been banged around a couple of times this year, but nothing too serious. 

Shough has looked decent in very limited snaps, but I think overall it's more lack of experience than lack of talent, like it was under Helfrich.

Felt like last year. I just remember that QB from Arizona looking pretty bad in limited appearances.

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

I was just thinking about how Oregon would replace Herbert. If his injury showed anything about Cristobal, they might need the Dana Altman transfer strategy to get a QB in place.

Shough is light years better than Burmeister.  But after him, it falls off quickly.  Millen has been hurt all year, and all we have is 2 true incoming freshman.  

Archived